BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 2nd, 2024, 8:04am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   RFi Hong Kong 19/21 october
« Previous topic | No topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: RFi Hong Kong 19/21 october  (Read 1051 times)
Justin_Jansen
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I like bird ID!

RFi Hong Kong 19/21 october
« on: Oct 1st, 2002, 5:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

We are two birders from Holland that are at Hong Kong from early morning of the 19th to 21 th october, we are the first and last day at Mai Po and the day in between at Tai Po cau.
Could anyone seen some of our target species sent me an mail. We would like to see Chinese Egret, Aleoeten Tern, Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Normans Greenshank, Saunders Gull, Black faced Spoonbill and trushes and phylloscopus warblers.
We know that some species cant be found, but we try very hard to find any nice ones over there.

Cheers and thanx in advance,

Justin Jansen & Wim Nap, The Netherlands
Mike Kilburn

Email

Re: RFi Hong Kong 19/21 october
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2002, 8:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Bad news guys

most of your target birds are spring migrants or winter visitors and you wouldbe doing very well rto see most of them!

Aleutian Tern is not seen at Mai Po, but by taking the ferry to Cheung Chau Island from Hong Kong Island (also the end of October is probably too late for them unless there is a typhoon.

Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Chinese Egret & Nordmann's Greenshank are very rare on Autumn passage.

Saunders' Gull arrives later in the year. However Black-faced Spoonbill should be arriving around the last week of October, so you might get lucky there.

You have more chance with Phylloscopus warblers - Yellow-browed and Dusky should be here by then, but Pallas' tends to arrive a little later as does Blyth's. Yelow-straeeked is a major rarity but there are October records and Radde's is also scarce but possible.

You are also a little early for thrushes.

The good news is that there a wide range of South China specialities in Hong Kong including Collared Crow, Chestnut Bulbul, Crested Goshawk, Fork-tailed Sunbird, a couple each of flowerpeckers and minivets, and a wide range of other waders including Great Knot and Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Painted Snipe and Grey-headed Lapwing.

In three days of hard work you could expect arond 150 species or more, but I would suggest covering more than one habitat in a day - especially adding Long Valley to your list of sites for Painted Snipe.

Good birding  
Mike
Justin_Jansen
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I like bird ID!

Re: RFi Hong Kong 19/21 october
« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2002, 5:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Mike,

Thanx for the reply, it is our first visit, just a quick stop before getting to Australia, and we will see what we are going to get.
We shall includ Long valley in our visit, and try to see as many species as possible during our short stay.
I will of course post a mail in what we see down there.
If you got more tips we welcome it!

Cheers, Justin & Wim
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | No topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.