BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Apr 25th, 2024, 9:06pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Yat-tung YU)
   Raptor - ID Please!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Raptor - ID Please!  (Read 6779 times)
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Raptor - ID Please!
« on: Jan 21st, 2004, 5:41pm »

080 Common Buzzard 普通鵟
http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v22/kkhui/Avian/210104_03x.jpg

21/01/04
Kowloon Tong

ID please, anyone?  
Thanks!

EOS-10D, EF400/5.6L
Evaluative @ zero, ISO 200

KK Hui ARPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001

« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2004, 11:26am by BBS Moderators » Logged
warbler

Email

Re: Raptor - ID Please!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 6:16pm »

Common buzzard?
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 2:42am »

Rough-legged Buzzard
Crested Goshawk
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 5:16pm »

Thanks for the input!
But most important of all is that you give your reasonings as to why you think it is ...  

KK Hui ARPS
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 8:36pm »

I really don't like to make remarks that might discourage people from contributing to this forum. However there really are no reasons at all for considering Crested Goshawk here - the underwing pattern of this bird is as different from that of a Crested Goshawk as it is possible to be.

Rough-legged Buzzard is more difficult to eliminate, and we are left very much in the same position as with the "Upland Buzzard" of a few days ago - we need to see uppertail, and need to have a proper impression of "jizz" (shape/size/flight pattern).  

To make again a few points I made in discussing the other photo (i) a snapshot from the side like this does not give the structure of the bird (you need to see that  in the field, or from a video) (ii) buzzards are really very variable indeed in terms of plumage (not so much in structure/flight patterns) (iii) there is no substitute for extensive field experience of raptors species in an area where they are relatively common - only then can judgement on extra-limitals be made with any degree of confidence.

Any buzzard seen in Hong Kong which does not look really different in terms of structure/size/flight pattern/upperside patterning can be assumed to be a Common Buzzard, and that's what I consider this to be.

Really good photo again. Where exactly in Kowloon Tong was it, and how regularly do you see them there?

Mike Turnbull.
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:04pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2004, 8:36pm, miket wrote:
I really don't like to make remarks that might discourage people from contributing to this forum ...

Thanks Mike for your observation and comments!

My previous remark was not meant to discourage people from contributing to this forum in anyway. If it sounds so then I apologize.

It's all very much a learning process for me as well as for those who takes the time to respond ...  

The sighting of this bird was at the junction of Boundary Street and Waterloo Road at around 3:30 pm. There were a pair at the time but I was not hundred percent sure then. This indeed is first time I've spotted them.

KK Hui ARPS
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2004, 9:20pm by KK Hui » Logged
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:17pm »

I meant that my own remark concerning Crested Goshawk, made so bluntly, might seem discouraging. There's nothing wrong with your request for reasons KK.

Mike Turnbull
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 5:08pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:17pm, miket wrote:
I meant that my own remark concerning Crested Goshawk, made so bluntly, might seem discouraging. There's nothing wrong with your request for reasons KK.

Mike Turnbull

Well, sorry about my wild guessing.  I didn't mean to state that the photo taken was of such species.  As I typed "" there, i am just suggesting.  KK posted such question on 21-Jan and no "confirmed answer" was posted up to 23-Jan, which can be considered "quite long" for this forum.  So, I just opened my "Birds of Hong Kong and South China" and tried to match and see if any similar drawings of the underwing pattern looks similar.  I know this is stupid but I just wanted to stimulate someone to answer.
Thanks Mike for pointing out the bluntly suggested answer.  May you post some photos about the underwing pattern of Crested Goshawk to let us learn how differently it is when compared to this common buzzard.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2004, 5:09pm by xyz_ps » Logged
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 6:19pm »

http://www.danielckchan.com/b20030301.jpg  

Hope this works. This is a pasted link from a photo which Daniel posted on this BBS back in Sept. As far as I can see it is a Crested Goshawk, though the size of the bird in the subsequent shot being mobbed by a Collared Crow suggests it could be a Besra.

Either way, Besra and Crested Goshawk underwing patterns are very similar and very different from that of Common Buzzard, as the photo shows.

(If the link doesn't work, do a search of this site for "Crested Goshawk" and scroll down the results till you find the post of flight shots.)

Mike  Turnbull
xyz_ps
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

6397271 6397271    

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 6:55pm »

on Jan 24th, 2004, 6:19pm, miket wrote:

Hope this works. This is a pasted link from a photo which Daniel posted on this BBS back in Sept. As far as I can see it is a Crested Goshawk, though the size of the bird in the subsequent shot being mobbed by a Collared Crow suggests it could be a Besra.

Either way, Besra and Crested Goshawk underwing patterns are very similar and very different from that of Common Buzzard, as the photo shows.

(If the link doesn't work, do a search of this site for "Crested Goshawk" and scroll down the results till you find the post of flight shots.)

Mike  Turnbull

Well, after looking at the photos, I understand why you said so.
So, it would be nice to see HKBWS hold a bird gallery(may be just a link to the existing posts), making use of the existing high quality photos from the photos sharing site, or rescanning the existing photos in the "Gallery", for helping novice to identify something that they spotted/took.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2004, 7:04pm by xyz_ps » Logged
Daniel CK Chan
BBS Member
BBS God

I love nature photography!

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 10:29pm »

on Jan 24th, 2004, 6:19pm, miket wrote:

Mike  Turnbull

Mike,

I make the link rework now.

or refer to (size comparison with Collared Crow of 2nd shot)

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=PhotoGallery;action=d isplay;num=1064849183;start=0

or refer to  

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=PhotoGallery;action=d isplay;num=1071483540;start=0

Regards
Daniel
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2004, 10:39pm by Daniel CK Chan » Logged

Daniel CK Chan
http://www.danielckchan.com
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 11:08pm »

on Jan 24th, 2004, 6:55pm, xyz_ps wrote:

So, it would be nice to see HKBWS hold a bird gallery(may be just a link to the existing posts), making use of the existing high quality photos from the photos sharing site, or rescanning the existing photos in the "Gallery", for helping novice to identify something that they spotted/took.

Actually, the purpose of establishing this BBS (including the Photo Gallery, Birding Tips/Bird Identification & other forums) is for the members and the public to share their views, opinions, photos, birding tips and experience with each other and help identifying and even learning more about the bird species spotted.

Members can use the "Search" function of this BBS to find out any photos posted in the BBS easily provided that the information of the posted photo, i.e. the title, Chinese and English bird name, location & date, are mentioned properly. So as to maintain the posted photos can be displayed properly and being found out easily in the future, the administrators and moderators of the forums have spent a lot of time to make sure the messages/photos are posted properly (e.g. correcting the title format, bird name, location, date format & etc. and uploading the photos to HKBWS fileservers. The photos stored in some websites, e.g. Geocities, cannot be displayed directly in the BBS).

So as to reduce the workload of us , please adopt the format of message/photos suggested in my pervious message.
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=PhotoGallery;action=d isplay;num=1057939115

If you want to make the BBS become more successful, your further support is needed. You are welcome to join us to maintain the BBS and the database behind. Please gvie me a call (94805233) or an email ( fforrest@hkbw s.o rg.hk ).

Thanks a lot.

Forrest
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:04am by Forrest FONG » Logged

FF
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.