BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Apr 26th, 2024, 6:18am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Bird Identification 鳥類辨識
(Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators)
   Unknown Bird--- Rufous-tailed Robin???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Unknown Bird--- Rufous-tailed Robin???  (Read 2165 times)
Tony
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

Unknown Bird--- Rufous-tailed Robin???
« on: Oct 10th, 2006, 11:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anyone able to help me to identify this bird?
The bird was seen this morning in a Bamboo shrubland in HK Island, it has jump on the ground and fly to back to the branch near the ground. No sound was detected by this birds. It is around a asian brown flycatcher's size.

9:00am  
HK Island
Cannon EOS 20D 1.4x300mm

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2006, 2:02pm by Tony » Logged
Mike Kilburn
Committee Member
BBS God

Re: Unknown Bird--- Rufous-tailed Robin???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 4:33pm »

Hi Tony  

You are right  - this is a Rufous-tailed Robin - and a very early record!

At this timeof year you have to be a little acreful to separate it from the very rare Brown-chested Flycatcher, but from you pix you can see the grey patterning on the breast and belly, which the flycatcher does not show.

Cheers  
Mike K

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman
Chairman - ConservationCommittee
HKBWS
Tony
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 12:09am »

Thanks Mike.
Is the Brwon Chested Flycather in the Birds of HK and South China? I can't find it.

Tony
Mike Kilburn
Committee Member
BBS God

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 6:59am »

The full name is Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher.

There some pix on this BBS as several birds have been seen this year and last year. The dark pattern on the breast of the flycatcher is muchless extensive.

You could also check out the Oriental Bird Images website, which has a database of pix of Asian birds.

Cheers  

Mike K
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2006, 7:04am by Mike Kilburn » Logged

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman
HKBWS
Paul Leader
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 11:08am »

The light is very odd on this, but I think this is a first-winter female Siberian Blue Robin.  I think the flanks are too dark for RTRobin and there is no sign of the classic scalloping on the breast of that species.  RTR also shows strong rufous fringes to the primaries and secondaries (similar in brightness to the tail) and a pale throat which this bird lacks.  It is a first winter (note the moult contrast in the greater coverts) and first winter RTR show much more obvious pale tips to the greater coverts than this bird.  I suspect that some of the early records in the Avifauna of Rufous-tailed Robin are also Siberian Blue Robins.
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 10:47pm »

I think these shots of what must be a SB Robin, actually capture a lot of the sensations of a typical encounter with a charismatic skulker such as this.

Such are the wonders of modern digital photography.

Mike Turnbull
Mike Kilburn
Committee Member
BBS God

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 1:39am »

Interested to hear the views above but I still favour RT Robin for the following reasons

How often does Sibe Blue Robin show as much rufous in the tail as this bird?I can find no other pix on the web - only 1 which shows concolourous brown with the wings & tail.  

I think the scalloping on the breast may be obscured by the angle and there are lots of pix on Oriental Bird Images of RT Robin with buffy flanks.

Very interested to hear other views especially considering the unusual liht conditions.

Also in an autumn with so many other early migrants, I don't find RT Robin totally implausable in mid October.

Cheers  

Mike K

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman
HKBWS
Tony
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 1:44am »

Thanks very much for discussion on this bird.
But I think it is more likely to be a rufous-tailed robin rather than a 1st winter female SB robin after I check the photos on Oriental bird images since there appear some brown streaks/scales on the belly of the bird.
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=1&action=searchresult &Bird_ID=2573&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1
Paul Leader
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 10:33am »

Still cannot see how this is a Rufous-tailed Robin!  First-winter female SBR do not have blue tails, they have dull brown tail feathers with brighter fringes, whereas Rufous-tailed Robins have uniformly rufous tail feathers (see link below) which this bird clearly does not have - note the darker central tail feathers.

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=10&action=searchresul t&Bird_ID=2573&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

In addition I think picture 1 shows enough of the breast to show scalloping if there any and there is nothing of the indistinct malar and reduced supercilium in fornt of the eye usually shown by RTR.

I know it is also a small point but I think the pattern of the greater coverts is very important here and eliminate RTR.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.