BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 17th, 2024, 3:04am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Birding Reports & Tips 觀鳥報告及心得
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Golden spectacled warbler
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Golden spectacled warbler  (Read 852 times)
kwan
BBS Member
BBS God

Golden spectacled warbler
« on: Nov 20th, 2002, 2:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A  Golden Spectacled warbler was seen at Tai Po Kau this morning.  

The Brown breasted flycatcher was seen along the stream, same location as last winter.

kwan
Albatross
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I believe I can fly

Re: Golden spectacled warbler
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 2:15pm »

Hi Kwan,

What time did you see the Flycatcher?

also, where is the warbler?

'Golden-spectacled Warbler' is not a 'simple' species, 'it' consists some 'species', but in very minor difference. It is better to write down descriptions as detail as possible of the 'Golden-spectacled' Warbler.

Further information is referred to 'The Avifauna of Hong Kong' and 'A field guide of birds of Southeast Asia' by Craig Robson.

Albatross
kwan
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 2:31pm »

I saw the brown breasted flycatcher at around 11:30 along the stream.

The "Golden Spectacled warbler" was seen at the hill side outside the AFCD office buildings. It has a grey crown, a black eyebrow. Golden yellow underpart and very yellowish green upperpart.

kwan
kwan
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 4:49pm »

Today we saw two "golden spectacled warbler". One resemble the one which I saw few days ago. Grey cap with black eye brow and golden eye ring.

Another "golden spectacled warbler" had a very prominent white eye ring. The crown color was not as gray as the last one and the black eye brow was not obvious as well. Could it be a "white spectacled warbler"?

Both was seen along the stream and keep close to the undergrowth.  

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2002, 4:50pm by kwan » Logged

kwan
Paul Leader

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 7:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The identification of the 'Gold-spectacled' and White-spectalced complex is VERY difficult, complex and confusing!  The former 'Gold-spec' group has been split into six distinct species, of which two have occured in HK, S. valentini, and S. tephrocephalus.  At least one other occurs in SE China, S.sorror and could occur in HK in winter.  In addition, White-spectacled, occurs at Ba Bao Shan (rare) and Wu Yi Shan (very common).  However the subspecies that occurs in SE China does not have a white eyering, it is yellow.  It also occurs in two very distinct morphs or pluamges, one of which looks like S. valentini, and the other like S. tephrocephalus (I told you it was complex!).  However, the eyering has an obvious break in it, above the eye.  But this is very difficult to observe in the field.

For those interested, I plan to do an indoor talk in March 2003 on difficult species in HK which will include this group and others.
kwan
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #5 on: Dec 1st, 2002, 11:21pm »

Today we saw two "golden" warblers with prominent white eyerings along the stream at Tai Po Kau.  

They followed the bird wave and keep to mid storey and undergrowth. They are smaller in size than the "golden spectacled complex" warbler. Both with light grey crown, golden yellow underpart. Yellowish upperpart with a little greenish tint. As they moved very fast, we don't have a very good view to identify the species but we are sure about the white eyerings and the golden body.  

So if you go to Tai Po Kau, watch out for these tiny birds long the stream especially when there is a bird wave.

kwan
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.