BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Mar 28th, 2024, 10:50pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Birding Reports & Tips 觀鳥報告及心得
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Po Toi 蒲台 2006 Autumn 秋
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Po Toi 蒲台 2006 Autumn 秋  (Read 8023 times)
HK_Twitcher
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

Re: Po Toi 蒲台 2006 Autumn 秋
« Reply #30 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 5:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Po Toi

09.15- 15.00

Common Kestrel 1
Common Koel 2
Grey Wagtail 1
Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike 2
Brown Shrike 1
Blue Rock Thrush 3
Arctic Warbler 4
Asian Brown Flycatcher 6
Yellow-rumped Flycatcher 1
Asian Paradise Flycatcher 1
Japanese Paradise Flycatcher 1
White-shouldered Starling 6
Crested Myna 50
Black-naped Oriole 10
Hair-crested Drongo  4

Graham
Owlet-nightjar
BBS Member
BBS God

Hoo-o...chweep!

« Reply #31 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:26pm »

Po Toi  Island  
October 2, 2006  
11:00 - 15:30

Orange-breasted Green Pigeon x1 male
023 Striated Heron x1
067 Black Kite x7
069 White-bellied Sea Eagle x3
229 Common Kingfisher x1
235 Dollarbird x1
265 Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike x3
271 Chinese Bulbul x2
278 Brown Shrike x2  (1 juv)
279 Long-tailed Shrike x1
312 Masked Laughingthrush x2
356 Arctic Warbler  x1
357 Greenish Warbler x1
367 Grey-streaked Flycatcher x 1
369 Asian Brown Flycatcher x1
372 Yellow-rumped Flycatcher x1 female
428 Chestnut-cheeked Starling x1
429 Purple-backed Starling x2
434 White-shouldered Starling x5+
436 Crested Myna x40+
437 Black-naped Oriole x6+
438 Black Drongo x3+
440 Hair-crested Drongo x2

Thank you to Geoff Carey & Paul Leader for spotting the beautiful Orange-breasted Green Pigeon.  

Orange-breasted Green Pigeon
Po Toi  
02/10/2006

Hoo-o.....Hoo-0
geoff_welch
BBS Member
BBS God

I love Po Toi

« Reply #32 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:43pm »

Surely this is the bird that was on Po Toi in the spring?

But where has it been for the summer? Not on Po Toi, I think. Taiwan?

And will it come back next spring?

The mysteries of migration.
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #33 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 9:09pm »

I think it must be the same bird.

I think it's safe to assume it moved off to an area where there are other Ob Pigeons (Hainan perhaps, rather than Taiwan, but that's just based on published range data).

Species like this seem to simply wander in search of food, rather than having a more fixed "area A to area B and back again to area A" migration route for the whole population. I suspect that individual birds "learn" their own individual patterns of movement, and if they survive, will repeat their movements from one year to the  next.

I understood it has found a relatively accessible, visible fruiting tree this time, so hopefully it will be a bit easier to  see this time.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wintered on Po Toi now, unless or until the food supply dries up.

Mike Turnbull.
HK_Twitcher
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

« Reply #34 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 7:49pm »

Po Toi  

3-10-2006

11.00-14.00

Chinese Goshawk 1
Eurasian Hobby 1
Pintail Snipe 1
Dollarbird 1
Common Tailorbird       1
Yellow-browed Warbler 1
Arctic Warbler       1
Asian Brown Flycatcher 3
Yellow-rumped Flycatcher 1
Japanese Paradise Flycatcher 1
Chestnut-cheeked Starling 1
Purple-backed Starling 1
White-shouldered Starling 6
Black-naped Oriole     10
Hair-crested Drongo  4

Graham
HK_Twitcher
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

Black-crowned Night HerRe: Po Toi 蒲台 2006 Autumn
« Reply #35 on: Oct 5th, 2006, 4:19pm »

Po Toi

5-10-2006

11.00-14.00

There had been a  bit of a clear out overnight and migrants were thin on the ground. No sign of the Pigeon but I managed to pull in the Starling #323  

Black-crowned Night Heron 1
Common Kestrel 1
Black-winged Stilt 1
White-throated Kingfisher 1
Dollarbird 2
Yellow-browed Warbler 3
Arctic Warbler 2
Asian Brown Flycatcher 3
Chestnut-cheeked Starling 1
White-shouldered Starling 3
Black-naped Oriole 8

Graham
geoff_welch
BBS Member
BBS God

I love Po Toi

« Reply #36 on: Oct 5th, 2006, 6:15pm »

Report for first week of October

Land Birds

I expect surprises on Po Toi but I did not expect to wake up this morning (Thursday) and find almost all the migrants had left overnight. I put it down to very light winds, a clear sky from about 8pm and the fact that most of the birds had been on the island since the weekend and must have been well fed.

Fortunately for Graham Talbot’s blood pressure, one of the few birds to remain was the Chestnut-cheeked Starling, so he was able add this to his impressive list today.

Even with a poor day today, it has still been the best week of the autumn so far, with nearly 50% more species of migrants than two weeks ago from my records alone, not counting those extra species seen by others. Some highlights were Ashy Minivet, Japanese Paradise and Blue & White Flycatcher, Lanceolated Warbler, Purple-backed (10) and Chestnut-cheeked Starlings, a very early record of Little Bunting (5) and Ashy Drongo. Unfortunately although the birds were good, the photos were not so good – here are a juv Ashy Minivet, juv male Blue & White Flycatcher, Little Bunting and Ashy Drongo.

The Orange-breasted Green pigeon was not seen again after Monday (to my knowledge). A funeral procession complete with fireworks and gongs which passed directly underneath its tree early on Tuesday morning could not have helped its stability, although it may still be somewhere on the island.  

Also seen were 8 migrant species of raptor, Osprey, Black Kite (some migrants), Grey-faced Buzzard (2), Crested Goshawk, Chinese Goshawk (2), Common Buzzard, Kestrel, Hobby (2). Photos are in that order except Black Kite, Crested Goshawk and Kestrel are missing. (The Common Buzzard photo seems to look more like a Harrier but it was definitely a Buzzard).

It appears that raptor migration is now in progress.

Also today, a flock of 7 Large-billed Crows spent some of the morning on the island before migrating SW, which combined with similar records in spring shows that these birds are at least partial migrants.

Sea Birds

No sea birds have been seen since the last tern on 19 September which is a great disappointment. Fortunately, visible migration from the S point has more than made up for this. As well as most of the raptors above, other birds photographed from there passing across the sea into or out of Po Toi were Black-capped Kingfisher and Red Turtle Dove as well as a Stonechat which first appeared at the S point early this morning and probably the same bird later at the top of the tallest tree on the island near the school!

Waste of Taxpayers Money?

It appears that a new jetty is being built on the SE peninsular, presumably for the tourist trade. But I wonder who is paying for it?  

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2006, 9:15am by geoff_welch » Logged
HK_Twitcher
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

Japanese Sparrowhawk 1 Re: Po Toi 蒲台 2006 Autumn
« Reply #37 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 5:12pm »

Poi Toi

10-10-2006

11.00-14.00

Japanese Sparrowhawk 1
Oriental Turtle Dove  1
Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike 1
Brown Shrike  1
Yellow-browed Warbler 6
Asian Brown Flycatcher 2
Mugimaki Flycatcher  3 (#331)
Blue-and-white Flycatcher 2
White-shouldered Starling 1
Black-naped Oriole  6
Ashy Drongo  2

Graham
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #38 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 9:34pm »

Could HK_Twitcher possibly pass the magical 350 mark the punters are wondering?

Mike Turnbull (a very poor 282 for the year so far - I concede defeat!)
geoff_welch
BBS Member
BBS God

I love Po Toi

« Reply #39 on: Oct 14th, 2006, 7:25am »

Second week of October. The same number of migrant species as last week, but not as many birds.  

Autumn migration seems to have affected the number of some resident species – I have seen far fewer Bulbuls and Magpie Robins than usual this month, and no White-eyes at all since September. Are they being forced out of their usual territories by the migrants?

Visible Migration

Early Friday morning I saw 5 flocks of Great Egrets, totally around 150 birds, about 3 miles east of Po Toi heading in a S/SE direction over the sea and directly away from the land. Are they making a direct crossing of the South China Sea, to somewhere in the Philippines? The flight distance of 600 miles would surely be no problem for a fit and well-fed bird, and the wind was light and just behind them. The Grey-faced Buzzards seen migrating last week were on exactly the same course.  

Excluding Egrets, I have seen 13 species of migrants either coming into or leaving Po Toi this week, including Black Kite, Kestrel, Japanese Sparrowhawk, Pacific Swift, 3 species each of Pipits and Wagtails, Tree Sparrow and a Yellow-breasted Bunting. Here are some photos of Japanese Sparrowhawk and Pacific Swift leaving Po Toi, and Kestrel and Rock Dove (a regular migrant on Po Toi) arriving on Po Toi.

Migration may be a successful strategy for a species but it’s fraught with danger for an individual bird. Here, a Hair-crested Drongo attempting an early morning flight from Dangan Island to Po Toi, intercepted in the last 100 yards by a pair of Peregrines.

Land Birds

11 new autumn migrants this week, including Japanese Sparrowhawk, Woodcock, Siberian Rubythroat, Scaly Thrush, Mugimaki Flycatcher, Yellow-breasted Bunting and the highlight, Amur Falcon on Friday. Some photos from the week, Amur Falcon, Besra, Hoopoe and imm male Mugimaki Flycatcher.

The observant will have noticed the last photo, a freely ranging and handsome chicken which has taken up residence on the gravesites to the south of the football field. This is the only live chicken I have ever seen on Po Toi and, as I guess it arrived by human hand, I will include it in my Po Toi list as Cat E. It is one of the few birds on Po Toi I can safely say is not a migrant.  

I got it wrong

The new construction on the SE Peninsular I thought was a new jetty has now turned out to be three metal tanks, each of different size. Does anyone know what this could be?

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2006, 7:27am by geoff_welch » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.