BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 6th, 2024, 11:09pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Special Topics 特別主題
   Black-eared Kite 鳶(麻鷹)
(Moderators: YIP Chi Lap [Beta], Karin, BBS Moderators)
   Black-eared Kite
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Black-eared Kite  (Read 2042 times)
Anguslau
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Black-eared Kite
« on: Dec 16th, 2005, 10:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

MPNR 15/12/2005
1D Mark II, EF600+1.4x, f/8, 1/1250s, iso320
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Re: Black-eared Kite
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 3:50pm »

Superb sharpness, Angus!  
Now this is 600/4 + 1.4x !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The clipped wing is unfortunate. I bet you're saying that as well. You should have used you 'norm' setup without the 1.4x ...  

KK Hui FRPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001

Anguslau
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 10:13am »

Yes, I do wish I was not using the converter at that time! Well, the bird became off-centered as it flew in at an awkward angle and I had to bent my body to track him. I guess I can't blame anything except my own skills.

Every now and then I just can't let go with the idea of using the 1.4x converter because this should be the near perfect focal length for many situtations. So this time I tried to see whether it will work by stopping down 1 stop. As you mentioned, I think the results are usable. But it is obviously not critically sharp when viewed at 100%. I have to apply more usm to regain the sharpness seen.
Neil
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 3:10pm »

Angus,
     You can count every feather so detail looks good to me.  
     I don't know how you guys handle those big lenses with a 1.4x on.  I've been using the 300/2.8 with a 1.4x on and I've often lost part of the bird as it approaches the hide/my position.  I've got hundreds of photos taken since I got the 300/2.8 with bits of wing or tail missing. Of course , photographing waders is a bit different to photographing egrets/herons/raptors. I suspect by next year I'll have a 500/600 as well. Neil.
Anguslau
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 3:59pm »

Neil: I think practise is the key! When I first started photographing these feathery creatures, I have trouble tracking them even with a 200mm lens! After lots of practise, now slow flyers such as egrets and raptors should not be a problem even with 1200mm (600+2x) so long as they are smaller than half frame and they are not changing courses suddenly. But fast movers such as ducks and waders are still kind of a hit and miss game. I guess only kk can master that at the moment...

The biggest problem I have with raptors is when they become too large in the frame. I often have their wing tips clipped as they flap their wings up and down even though I have their body centered. Very frustrating!

Neil, given your dedication I bet you'll get your 500/600 lens very soon!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.