BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 13th, 2024, 7:41pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Conservation 自然保育
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Comments on Mai Po management
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Comments on Mai Po management  (Read 955 times)
Lew_Young
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

Comments on Mai Po management
« on: Jan 12th, 2003, 9:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Back in December, you may have seen a notice on the BBS about an open meeting at Baptist University that was to discuss issues that have come up with the management of Mai Po in the past, and to come up with new ideas about how management could be improved in future. This is because the reserve is now drafting a new management plan for 2003 - 2008, and we would like to incorporate as many of your views into the plan as possible.

The notes from the meeting (in Chinese and English) have now been put up on the WWF Hong Kong website http://www.wwf.org.hk/eng/maipo/manage/discussion.html. Some further comments that were received after the meeting have also been put up.

With all the experience of the members of the HKBWS, we would very much like to hear your thoughts on Mai Po, and how you think the Reserve can be improved.  

We will keep the discussion going until the end of January and after that, we will begin to incorporate your comments into the Plan. We hope to finalise the Plan before April 2003 and I am sure that before then, we'll keep you updated on it progress.

Thank you very much for all your support of Mai Po and please do have a look at the notes and add to the discussion. Only with your support, can we make Mai Po even better for the birds.

Thank you once again!

Lew Young

PS If you do not want to give your comments on the WWF HK website, then you are welcome to post any comments on the BBS.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2003, 12:25am by Webmaster » Logged
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Re: Comments on Mai Po management
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 9:51pm »

Lew,

Mai Po could certainly raise a lot of awareness if it would be possible to install bird cam similiar to this BBC site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/birds/birdcam/index.shtml

I realise that there are a lot of problems involving camera security and getting the signal out to a web site. But this is Hong Kong , a world city, so we must be able to get around these problems somehow

Bob
Lew_Young
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 2nd, 2003, 8:34pm »

Bob,

Thanks for the idea.

Actually, AFCD tried putting up a number of webcams at Mai Po some years back (at Pond 20 and at the Education Centre looking out into the Waterfowl Collection) but had problems relaying the signal in real time onto their AFCD website. They have since taken the equipment away and I have not heard any more.

It is a good idea but due to the cost, I think we'll let AFCD take the lead on this one.

Thanks again! Lew
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2003, 9:04pm »

Lew,

Thanks for the reply, maybe some of the HKBWS computer experts maybe able to help -- any idea's Karl!!

Bob
Webmaster
BBS Administrator

I am the Webmaster of HKBWS

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 3rd, 2003, 1:33pm »

bob,

sorry that i have limited experience in handling video signal transmission.   I guess the most difficult part for such an arrangement would be related to remote transmission of video data, again it should be a $$$ problem as lew suggested.

however, AFCD should not give up so easily as such arrangement would be very useful to let the general public to get in touch with the restricted area remotely.  i believe other department of gov for sure may give a hand, right?

2 cents.

regards,
karl.

Webmaster is here.
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 3rd, 2003, 2:30pm »

Karl,

I totally agree that we shouldn't give up on the subject, the value of the camera's in showing to the general public, both in Hong Kong and overseas, the importance of wetlands and in particular Mai Po Reserve are great.

I had heard that the KCRC would be installing cameras at their Lok Ma Chau site, if that is true, we maybe able to seek some advice from them otherwise there must be a government department or university that could install them as part of a project. Funding could come from one of the environmental funds.

Regards
Bob
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 2nd, 2003, 7:59am »

Lew,

This web site may give you some idea about setting up a webcam, if fact you can remote control the camera and they explain all about how the site was setup

http://www.racerocks.com/pearson/racerock/video1.htm

Bob Thompson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.