BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Apr 28th, 2024, 5:51pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Conservation 自然保育
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Bird Trapping Cage in Fairview Park 錦鏽放置捕鳥籠
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bird Trapping Cage in Fairview Park 錦鏽放置捕鳥籠  (Read 1855 times)
me_domchan
BBS Administrator

I love bird watching!

Bird Trapping Cage in Fairview Park 錦鏽放置捕鳥籠
« on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 9:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

4 bird trapping cages are found placed next to Fairview Park Food Court, where a group of pigeons usually wanders around.  

Most likely, it is a measure to "fight" Bird Flu, but I wonder if it is necessary and what is the fate of those trapped......  

Location of cages

A one-way door may sure the bird goes inside cannot come out

Seems that the cage found its victim already  

A water container and some food are inside the cage

Other measures to prevent bird flu, a few net to isolate the ducks and swans from human  
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2006, 9:05pm by me_domchan » Logged
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Re: Bird Trapping Cage in Fairview Park 錦鏽放置捕
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:43am »

Isn't it illegal to trap wild birds or even attempt too  

WILD ANIMALS PROTECTION ORDINANCE Cap 170

Please pass information onto AFCD for immediate follow up

Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:25am by Bob Thompson » Logged
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 6:27pm »

Both Captain Wong & I followed this case with AFCD this morning, they promptly replied by email to both of us.

I have permission from Mr C.L. Wong AFCD to post his reply below

"Thanks for Captain's email and Bob's enquiry.

The cages at Fairview Park as shown in the photos are pigeon traps which were placed there by the Fairview Park Property Management Company and the design of which was provided by AFCD Animal Management Centre for trapping stray pigeons in residential areas. The trapping mechanism lies on the "plastic flaps" installed as "gate" at the lower half on one side of the cage. Pigeons may "walk-in" to eat the feed but the plastic flaps will function as barrier for going out. As other wild birds do not "walk" (they fly), therefore other birds are not trapped. If smaller birds like sparrows get into the cage accidentally, they can escape through the gaps between the plastic flaps freely and therefore the design is safe to wild birds. Pigeons cannot "walk out" due to large body size.

Pigeon in Hong Kong is considered as "poultry" which is NOT a protected species under the Wild Animal Protection Ordinance, Cap. 170. The use of such pigeon trap is monitored by the AFCD Animal Management Division as a control method for stray pigeon causing problem at some residential areas. Only property management companies/organizations are allowed to use these pigeon cages within their "private places". All captured pigeons are to be sent to AFCD AMC for proper disposal. If any wild birds are trapped accidentally, they should be set free immediately.

Since the pigeon cage has been put to use for about 2 years in some private places by property management companies to contain pigeon problems, there is no report on wild birds being trapped by them.

If you have any suggestions or comments to these pigeon cages, please call me at 2150 6921 and I am happy to discuss.

Regards

CL Wong "
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2006, 6:47pm by Bob Thompson » Logged
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 6:47pm »

not sure will that pigeon trap will catch other wildbirds or not but can sure the design of AFCD dog trap similar to this one in Mai Po trap a Greater Coucal near BH3, I release it myself and don't know how to put it back funtion so I just leave it there. AFCD should know about it as they might wondering what make the trap close but got nothing inside.

btw, I think the bird may die if I don't release it especially during the period of Mai Po closure.  As I found that the trap still kept close two weeks after my next visit and finally it back to function on another two weeks later something like that.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2006, 6:58pm by 深藍 Owen » Logged

BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:57pm »

Owen,

If you have an query please contact Mr C.L. Wong at the telephone number mentioned in the above message from him or you could see the warden's at the entrance to Mai Po Nature Reserve
Bena
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

Dog Traps at MPNR
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 6:22pm »

Dear Owen and Bob,

The 3 feral dog traps located inside Mai Po Nature Reserve are owned and operated by WWF Hong Kong under special licence (reviewed and issued annually) from AFCD. We are solely responsible for their sighting, baiting, checking and maintenance. If a dog is trapped we then contact AFCD who come immediately to collect and humanely remove the trapped animal. On rare occasions other wildlife such as Javan Mongoose, Civet Cat, and Greater Coucal set off the traps and we simply open the trap for these animals to escape back into the Reserve.

Our policy is to bait and check traps every single day. The exceptions being Public Holidays and when the appropriate WWF staff member is on leave. Under such circumstances the traps are not baited and fully closed to prevent any wildlife entering them.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Bena Smith
WWF Reserve Officer
Mai Po Nature Reserve
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 10:10pm »

Thanks Bena for the explanation.  

I have no problem with the dog traps at Mai Po. My query was in regard to the bird traps at Fairview Park. AFCD replied prompty to my concerns.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.