BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 9th, 2024, 2:37am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Conservation 自然保育
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Yellow-throated Laughingthrush 黃喉噪[眉鳥]分類及保育
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Yellow-throated Laughingthrush 黃喉噪[眉鳥]分類及保育  (Read 1230 times)
HF_Cheung
Committee Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Email

Yellow-throated Laughingthrush 黃喉噪[眉鳥]分類及保育
« on: Jun 18th, 2006, 12:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yellow-throated Laughingthrush vs Courtois's Laughingthrush

OBC and Birdlife International now accept the split of the Yellow-throated Laughingthrush in China from that of India. They have re-named the bird "Courtois's Laughingthrush". Personally I prefer the name "Chinese Yellow-throated Laughingthrush". There will be good corresponding with the old Chinese name that have already been so well-known in China.  

Also, I was surprised that the OBC researchers claimed that they found the population in Wuyuan, but there was no mention of the work by Prof. He Fengqi. Prof. He have been searching for the species in Wuyaun for several years before he found it with the help of local villagers and forestry staff. It sounds a mis-presentation of the re-discovery of this species.  

There were discussions on the conservation status of this species. OBC believe that this species should be at least endangered, or even critical endangered based on its very small known population. See the following webpage.  

http://www.orientalbirdclub.org/publications/bullfeats/crtois2.html

Recently Birdlife International eveluate this species and put it as a species of "least concern" in terms of conservation. See the following webpage.  

http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails .asp&sid=31659&m=0

Based on HKBWS involvement in this species in Wuyuan, and also survey information from Prof He Fengqi, Lim Jianxing, and many groups of bird watchers in the last several years, we agree with the conclusion by the OBC researchers. Chinese Yellow-throated Laughingthrush should be categorized as at least "Endangered", and possibly "Critically Endangered". While both parties mentioned that a proper population analysis is not available as the present data is not sufficient to allow for such an analysis, the latest information on this species do suggest that this species have a very small population. Therefore I think Birdlife International should consider re-eveluate this species again soon.  

HF Cheung  
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2006, 1:30pm by Webcreeper » Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.