BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 17th, 2024, 4:38pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   General 一般問題
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   I am a U student --> seek info of Laughingthrush
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I am a U student --> seek info of Laughingthrush  (Read 353 times)
Michael Lee
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

I am a HKU undergraduate studying environment.

Email

I am a U student --> seek info of Laughingthrush
« on: Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a HKU undergraduate. I am doing a project on Garrulax Perspicillatus (black-faced laughing-thrush). I've searched the internet and read the Avifauna of Hong Kong but cannot find much information about this bird.

Can anyone suggest some useful links or sources of information of this bird on the following:

1) habit
2) behaviour pattern
3) feeding habit
4) reproductive habit
5) seasonal pattern (if any)  
6) any other information

Any kind of information offered is very welcomed. Really thanks for your help!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:08pm by BBS Moderators » Logged
Samson So
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I mean what I say

Email

Re: I am a U student --> seek info of Laughingthru
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2003, 9:35am »

Hi Michael,

I guess you are Richard's student.  Have you read the thesis of his students (M.Phil and PhD)?  They are all in the lab.

Have you also searched for information at the 6/F of library?  They should be some useful information in Chinese.

It is also normal if you cannot find much of the information.  That is why you need to do the project, and to find information to fill the gap.

Hope these help.

Samson

Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.
Ideals are like the stars, we never reach them; but like mariners, we chart our course by them.
Webmaster
BBS Administrator

I am the Webmaster of HKBWS

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:53pm »

Hi Samson,

Are you the author the motto "Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness."?  It looks as if it is a chinese poem and very creative you are.  Thanks.

Regards,
Karl.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:54pm by Webmaster » Logged

Webmaster is here.
Samson So
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I mean what I say

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2003, 3:06pm »

Hi Karl,

I first heard of the words from my secondary physic teacher who always had inspiring teaching methods (and we all enjoyed those very much).  I am lucky enough to be able to find happiness from what I am doing since then.  

Hope other birders are free and happy too.

To Michael: you better read through all possible bird related references you can access.  Useful information are hiddened somewhere.  Try to search for information of closely related species and those may give you some hints for your study.  This is the way we did (yes, painstaking but fruitful though).

Cheers,
Samson

Ideals are like the stars, we never reach them; but like mariners, we chart our course by them.
Michael Lee
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2003, 6:53pm »

Thanks for your advice, Samson, I'll try hard then.
But there is just too little study being done on a particular species of birds.

Anyway thanks again~
Captain Wong

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2003, 9:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It looks likely that this spp is not well studied in this region.

In this situation, it may better to take a literature research of laughing thrushes in this region (Richard always asks his students to do this and suggests you to compare them with your study - e.g. food habit of oriental birds by Samson, and food habit of four munias by me).

This helps you to know the current method for studying laughing thrushes. Also let you know the general ecology of this group of birds.

Captain
Michael Lee
BBS Member
BBS Newbie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 5th, 2003, 1:03pm »

Thanks Captain! So you suggest a comparison of different kinds of laughing-thrushes.  This supports Samson ideas of studying the closely related birds of black-faced laughing-thrushes. I will try my best to find out then.  
Samson So
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I mean what I say

Email

Some suggestions
« Reply #7 on: Apr 7th, 2003, 3:48pm »

Hi Michael,

Hope you are doing fine with you proposal.  Several points to add.

- Comparing BFLT with other closely related species (if info are available) can give you some hints on how you are going to study BFLT

- You need to decide WHAT aspects you want to study, and think about HOW to get the data, before you get started.

- Be realistic, some aspects need longer time to get data (e.g. population dynamic, seasonality, etc.) so given that you are doing a project (in a few months I guess), try to stick on those aspects which you can get quick results (e.g. flock size, foraging behavior, time budget,  relative abundancy, habitat preference...)

Could you tell us why you want to study BFLT?  

Cheers,
Samson

Michael

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 8th, 2003, 4:39pm »

Actually, we form a group of 8 and make the following observations:

1) group size
2) where the bird can usually be found and how far the bird is usually from the ground
3) for how long the bird stays at one place
4) what the bird usually does
5) The size of the bird  
6)where we cannot find the bird
7)  When the bird will appear most (like after rain, cool afternoon)  

We are doing the project for 2-3 months. It is just not possible for us to find its nests which are located deep in the forest. Otherwise, a lot of close observation can be made.
Actually, my group randomly choose BFLT for our project through draw and pick.
Do you mean I can find some relevant info on the 6/F of old library?
Captain

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 9th, 2003, 10:23am »

Randomly choose BFLH. Just like us did the coastal ecology project long time ago.  

However, I would like to share our experience regarding this kind of project.

Your project supervisor and lecturers would still ask you why you did this topic of small project, despite all people knowing that it is randomly chosen.  

New PhD and Master candidates are also frequently asked why they choose this topic to study.

The reason of why doing this is important to all scientific studies, regardless the scale and nature.

A good report (also means good grade) should have a good introduction showing why this spp / habitat was stiudied.  

So, be prepared well about "why BFLH" in your report. Richard must ask you why?  

These are some hints for "why BFLH":

(i) do they potentially play an important role in fruit / seed dispersal of plants in understorey?

(ii) do they potentially alternate / enhance the microhabitat of understorey in woodlands? (their sweeping behaviour on the ground)

(iii) could they potentially be a good indicator of understorey (but I have not seen BFLH in Tai Po Kau)

Also an example of why people (actually is Richard himself) studying Crested and Chinese Bulbuls and White-eyes

- they are common spp in secondary woodland and shrubland; play important role in seed dispersal as they take a lot of fruits, thus they help plants to disperse and local forest regeneration and succession.

Captain
Samson So
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I mean what I say

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 9th, 2003, 12:36pm »

Michael,

Some more suggestions generated from you last message (Env Sci old boys are nice and helpful, aren't we?)

- Your point '5' the size of the bird cannot be done without catching the birds.  There are many books mentioning the size and it may not be necessary to measure the size yourself.

- Point '2' and '6': It is not possible to visit ALL places to draw a conclusion of where you can or cannot see the birds.  It may be easier to collect data and do comparison by sticking to a particular site or a few sites where BFLT are relatively easier being seen (e.g. Lung Fu Shan CP, Pok Fu Lam CP, Kowloon Park, HK Park, etc).
Decide your route for each site and record the occurence of BFLT at each location, record the habitat type, activities, height from ground, when they appear most, etc.  

- Two to three months are not too long but your group can still get quite enough time, if frequent field works can be done (mostly of you are free after 0930h, aren't you?).  Remeber to carry out field work in both morning (I mean early morning, before you attent the lectures) and afternoon, and regardless of the weather conditions.

- Richard's lab, 3rd floor, 6th floor and 1st floor of library have information on birds.  Good luck.

- Last but not least I do hope your group will generate more interest on birds during the project.  Enjoy your studies.

A long message but hope it is useful to your group (and others who read these messages)

Samson

Michael

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10th, 2003, 9:15pm »

So both of you are old ENLS and are doing Ph.D?

No wonder so helpful! The project is a good one and I enjoy doing this kind. Not just learn through reading books and examination. I treasure this project as my mini-field research.  
Thanks again~
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.