BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Apr 27th, 2024, 2:58am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   General 一般問題
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Renaming the Gei wai 為基圍命名
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Renaming the Gei wai 為基圍命名  (Read 2318 times)
Mai_Po_Office
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I love bird watching!

Renaming the Gei wai 為基圍命名
« on: Aug 24th, 2006, 5:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Bird Watchers,

Many of you may be very familiar with the layout of the Mai Po gei wai, but we often receive comment that the numbering system can be confusing especially when trying to follow-up on a bird sighting or reporting one.

In order to make the gei wai more “friendly”, WWF HK wishes to adopt informal names for each gei wai/pond or location inside the reserve based upon their history and usage or the wildlife they support. For example, gei wai #16/17 is often referred to as “the scrape”, gei wai #6 “the Spoonbill Roost” and the big rock near gei wai #6 as the “Rocky Outcrop”. Please note that for research purposes the current numbering system would continue to be used for consistency.

We would like to know about any informal names you may use or hear others using so please kindly leave a message below, both English or Chinese are welcomed.

Should you need further information, please contact me via kleung@wwf.org.hk.  

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Katherine Leung
Assistant Reserve Officer
WWF Mai Po Nature Reserve

各位鳥友:

可能大部份鳥友都對米埔基圍的位置非常熟識 , 但我們亦聽到不少鳥友認為現時基圍的號碼令他們難以確定雀鳥位置或提供雀鳥情 報。

為使各基圍更為「親切」,基金會希望以該基圍 / 池塘或地點的歷史、用途或野生生物為前提,為各基圍 / 池塘或地點命名。例如#16/17號基圍現時常被稱為「大池」,#6號基圍稱為「琵鷺 棲息地」及「石山」等。請注意,為統一數據,現時的基圍號碼仍會沿用作研究及 監察用途。

我們誠意邀請你的建議,例如正在沿用或曾經聽聞的名字,中英文皆可。

如你需進一步資料,可電郵至 kleung@wwf.org.hk  查詢。

謝謝!

梁嘉善
助理保護區主任
米埔保護區
世界自然基金會香港分會
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2006, 9:07am by Mai_Po_Office » Logged
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

Re: Renaming the Gei wai 為基圍命名
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 7:11pm »

Just a tiny correction, but "Shek Shan" 「石山」on the fence at Mai Po has always been known as the "Rocky Outcrop" in English.

Hope this helps in creating an accurate list of popular names for parts of Mai Po.

Mike Turnbull
Mai_Po_Office
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 9:07am »

Thank you Mike.

Katherine
Gary
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 6:00pm »

Naming of gei wai is interesting.  
However I don't think it can help people to recognize the ponds - it could be as confusing as numbering system. I personally very confused about the name "scrape" at the very begining as both pond 16/17 and 20 look similiar to me.
Locating the gei wai is inherently difficult. But once you have become familiar with Mai Po, you would find the gei wais easy to recognize no matter how you name them.
I think you can install some signage posts if you really want to help visitor to locate the ponds. Anyway naming the ponds with it's landscape feature or wildlife is really interesting - as the "Common Name" is simply a heritage. It tells us the history and nature of the site.

Gary
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 8:17pm »

I would like to second Gary's suggestion of signage at Mai Po, as to renaming the Gei Wai, casual visitors most probably don't care what the gei wai's are called and birdwatchers most probably will still call them by their old name

Bob
Fred
BBS Member
BBS God

Birds are fascinating!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26th, 2006, 10:53pm »

I would also like to support the idea of installing better signage within Mai Po.  
Katherine
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love BIRDS ^o^

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 3:41pm »

Dear Gary, Bob and Fred,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
I do agree that signage is needed for the Reserve, it is now under planning.
Hopefully, in about 6 months, you can see some new signage, panels and roadsigns in the Reserve.

Regards,
Katherine
martin
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

Dead Ducks Don't Fly!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 10:18pm »

I suggested this a while back;  
I find the numbers confusing - still don't remember them well. UK reserves like Cley, Minsmere have names for major pools.
- at Cley, for directions, have [from website]: "North hide overlooking North Scrape; Avocet hide overlooking Whitwell Scrape; Dauke's hide overlooking Simmond's Scrape; and Teal hide overlooking Pat's Pool (the three hides are practically next to each other at TG054450); Carter's Scrape. There is also Arnold's Marsh; Eye Field "

Here, could likewise keep to naming main areas.
"The Scrape" seems to me good for 16/17 - inc as there's the Scrape at Minsmere, which served as model during Mai Po's early development (with Minsmere warden visiting, to advise on Mai Po planning).

"Pond 20" seems pretty fixed, suitable as name.

Spoonbill Roost would help for the main roost pond at corner. Yes, might become of historical relevance should they move - but the name will carry some significance (unlike, err, pond whatever it is).

Helipad Pond - could be for pond by helipad (yeah, obvious enough, but readily remembered by someone like me, who doesn't remember it's Pond err, I give in).

Tower Hide Lagoon, obvious enough for in front of Tower Hide.

Sedgemarsh - pond near education centre, with the curving wooden walkway.

Waterfowl Collection hardly seems good these days - Snakeman's Pools, after my memories of Michael Lau thrashing around in gloop, making the ponds.

Melville's Marsh somewhere?

Maybe name a few, then see if some company wants to have pond named after themselves, give some money for its upkeep (in turn receiving news, photos of developments).

Cathay Corner warranted, after donation to wetland fund?

Over time, I think good names will be adopted, esp for ponds so far known only by numbers.  

Signage good.
- I've long believed more visitors should be allowed into Mai Po, but not all over the place; good signage could help [with places to stay quieter not on signs n maps, and/or with restricted access signs]

Martin

H5N1 Poultry Flu and Wild Birds Forum
HK Outdoors
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.