BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Apr 19th, 2024, 5:03pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   General 一般問題
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Mudflat Seedling Clearance Sep 06 清除泥灘紅樹苗
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mudflat Seedling Clearance Sep 06 清除泥灘紅樹苗  (Read 3355 times)
Mai_Po_Office
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

I love bird watching!

Mudflat Seedling Clearance Sep 06 清除泥灘紅樹苗
« on: Sep 4th, 2006, 4:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Birdwatchers/Photographers,

Every year since 1985, WWF has cleared mangrove seedlings from the area of inter tidal mudflat in front of the three floating bird-watching hides. This is necessary to maintain the area as a valuable feeding habitat for waterbirds as well as to promote ecological research, education and birdwatching.

WWF staff will commence the 2006 clearance works tomorrow (5th September) and continue through to October. Our work is monitored by AFCD, who together with Districts Lands Office, give us their consent each year upon approval of a WWF impact assessment report.

Our staff will only work during periods of low tide when the waterbirds in front of the hides are very few in number. Please do not mistake our staff for illegal fishermen! You will see our workers stepping seedlings into the mud, something the fishermen would not be doing.

If you require any further information please telephone the WWF Mai Po Office on 2471 6306 and ask for Lew Young, Tobi Lau or Bena Smith.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2006, 8:35am by Webcreeper » Logged
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Re: Mudflat Seedling Clearance September 2006
« Reply #1 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 5:37pm »

I must take this opportunity to thanks all the WWF staff involved and making the schedule known here! It certainly help. Much appreciated!

on Sep 4th, 2006, 4:47pm, Mai_Po_Office wrote:
... WWF staff will commence the 2006 clearance works tomorrow (5th September) and continue through to October. Our work is monitored by AFCD, who together with Districts Lands Office, give us their consent each year upon approval of a WWF impact assessment report ...  

Why this 'getting approval' thing?! The job has much become a yearly routine and a necessity. I understand that delay in doing the job had happened in previous years as a result ...

KK Hui FRPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001

Bena
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 6th, 2006, 5:10pm »

Dear KK,

Thanks for your response.

WWF-HK, as a responsible environmental NGO, has a duty to be accountable for the actions we take at Mai Po and we do not expect special treatment because of the nature of our work.
All of our major work activities are monitored to one extent or another for various reasons, mainly to improve our habitat management techniques, but in the case of mangrove seedling works to show the government that our operation is not causing any negative environmental impacts upon the mudflat. I think we all agree that the clearance works are important for maintaining a feeding habitat for waterbirds and that after 21 years they are not causing any significant impacts to the mudflat, but an assessment report is mandatory and a set condition of our permission to do the work.

Admittedly the assessment report procedure can be time consuming and we are discussing this with AFCD at the moment. I sincerely hope we are able to agree on a concise, but less resource dependant reporting system. It is worth mentioning that both AFCD and District Lands Office Yuen Long respond quickly to our reports and usually grant permission within 2 weeks.

Any further questions please feel free to email me direct, bsmith@wwf.org.hk.

Regards,

Bena.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2006, 6:13pm by Bena » Logged
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

« Reply #3 on: Sep 6th, 2006, 7:22pm »

Thanks for your prompt response, Bena!

I'm pleased to hear that there has not been any undue delay in the whole application/approval process for the captioned job. Keep up with the good works!

Regards

KK Hui FRPS
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Re: Mudflat Seedling Clearance Sep 06 清除泥灘紅樹
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 7:49am »

Two shots captured yesterday, 11/9, morning just outside the boardwalk hides ...

This is no easy task and my praise goes to all the field staff involved!

KK Hui FRPS
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2006, 10:14am by KK Hui » Logged
Hendrix
BBS Member
BBS God

I love wings!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 5:43pm »

leave  a few smll tree there will be great .

some  Rufous-Backed Shrike & kingfisher will stop on it .  

www.look.hk welcome you
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 7:15pm »

just curious who take away those two stick right in front of the hide.  was always got king standing on it. but no longer after removed.

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.