BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 7th, 2024, 2:53am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Special Topics 特別主題
   Wild Birds & Avian Flu 野鳥與禽流感
(Moderators: Forrest FONG, BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Our Response to the Avian Flu Issue 本會對禽流感問題的回應
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Our Response to the Avian Flu Issue 本會對禽流感問題的回應  (Read 1669 times)
HKBWS Office
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

Our Response to the Avian Flu Issue 本會對禽流感問題的回應
« on: Feb 4th, 2004, 6:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For Immediate Release

HKBWS Responded the Avian Flu issue

4 February 2004, Hong Kong – The Hong Kong Bird Watching Society (HKBWS) met World Wide Fund For Nature Hong Kong, The Conservancy Association and Dr. Hon. Lo Wing Lok on the issue of avian flu today.

At the meeting, Dr H F Cheung, Vice-chairman of HKBWS said:

(1) "Our field observations up to now show that we have a healthy wild bird population in Hong Kong";  

(2) "Bird-watching is a safe and healthy activity (by its nature, bird-watchers have to keep good distance from birds in order to be able to watch them), so long as simple common sense hygiene measures are followed";

(3) "Wild birds share the same environment with Man and they are as clean as we make the environment".

- Ends -

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2004, 6:14pm by Webcreeper » Logged

From the HKBWS Office
HKBWS Office
BBS Member
BBS God

WWW Email

Re: HKBWS Responded the Avian Flu issue
« Reply #1 on: Feb 5th, 2004, 11:35am »

There are some news report on the issue today. Most of them mention bird watching is a safety activity as we keep a good distance from birds, and the population of wild birds are healthy in nature. Medical professional also pointed out there is no evidence that wild birds are vectors for transmission of virus to human.  

Please find below extracted information (chinese) for members' reference:

1. Hong Kong Daily News
立法會醫學界議員勞永樂稱,如果只是在遠距離用望遠鏡觀鳥,而非餵飼或打擾雀 鳥生活,觀鳥活動仍然安全。他又認為米埔自然保護區毋須長期關閉。

2. Tai Kung Pao
代表醫學界別的立法會議員勞永樂昨日指。無證據顯示雀鳥直接將禽流感病毒傳染 給人類,遠距離觀鳥仍然安全。米埔自然保育區經理楊路年表示,在過去抽查的七 千多個雀鳥樣本中,亦無發現H5N1病毒。

香港觀鳥會與米埔自然保護區代表昨日約見立法會議員勞永樂,指正在社會流傳野生雀鳥傳播禽流感病毒的訊息不正確,不希望因為禽流感的關係令訊息誤傳,影響觀鳥活動。

勞永樂會後指出,現時無證據顯示雀鳥直接將禽流感病毒傳染給人類,只要是遠距 離用望遠鏡觀鳥,與雀鳥保持距離,而不是餵養或打擾雀鳥生活。

3. Oriental Daily
港府暫封閉米埔自然保護區一個月,醫學界立法會議員勞永樂指出,仍沒有證據顯 示禽流感由候鳥傳人,他提醒公眾,需監控家禽而非摧毀野生鳥。長春社理事吳祖 南亦呼籲公眾愛惜野生雀鳥,切勿採取過激行動驅趕及無端拋棄飼養的觀賞鳥。香 港觀鳥會副會長張浩輝指出,觀鳥活動一般與市民保持最少十米距離,故不屬高危 活動。

4. Singtao Daily
立法會醫學界議員勞永樂表示,如果只是在遠距離用望遠鏡觀鳥,而非餵飼或打擾 雀鳥生活,觀鳥活動仍十分安全,米埔自然保護區亦毋須長期關閉。

觀鳥會副會長張浩輝指出,該會一向有監察野生雀鳥情況,並無發現異常問題。

5. Sing Pao Daily News
正在關閉的米埔保護區預計可在本月29日重開,讓區經理路年透露,由雀鳥感染禽 流感的機會極微,而環保分子及觀鳥觀家促請市民不要做出拋棄及追殺雀鳥等過激 行為......

6. Ming Pao Daily News
觀鳥不會近距接觸雀鳥
多個環保團體的代表昨日與立法會醫學界代表勞永樂會面,表達市民近日對觀鳥活 動的誤解。香港觀鳥會副會長張浩輝指出,市民誤解野生雀鳥有機會傳播禽流感, 但其實觀鳥活動不會近距離接觸雀鳥。 世界自然(香港)基金會米埔保護區經理楊路年強調,由97年爆發禽流感開始,米 埔每年都從候鳥身上抽取糞便或血液樣本作禽流感測試,7000多個樣本中,都沒有 找到H5N1病毒。  

長春社理事吳祖南表示,擔心會引發市民棄置觀賞雀鳥,因為放生可能反而令雀鳥死亡,「牠們未必適應外面的環境,很容易死亡,這亦可能影響本港雀鳥群的生態」
Photo caption: 立法會醫學代表勞永樂與香港觀鳥會副會長、米埔自然保護區經理楊路年及長春社 理事吳祖南會面,解釋民對野生雀鳥會傳播禽流感病毒的誤解。
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2004, 11:18pm by HKBWS Office » Logged

From the HKBWS Office
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

Re: HKBWS Responded the Avian Flu issue
« Reply #2 on: Feb 5th, 2004, 11:57am »

Want to Cry.. Many Thanks...!!! Many Many Thanks~~!!
Hope we can go back MPNR soon..!!

Email

Re: HKBWS Responded the Avian Flu issue (4 Feb 04)
« Reply #3 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 5:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Birdw Soc response could have been more robust. (Birdw Soc strong over Long Valley; less so with this it seems.)

"Wild birds .. are as clean as we make the environment"
- yeah, if both peregrines were abandoned captive birds (fed on chicken?)
and if the egret, two grey herons, one black-headed gull known to have had this nasty, new form of H5N1 were infected from source in poultry industry (even indirectly - are some creeks here awash with effluent from chicken farms? also dead chickens etc etc)

More humans than wild birds known to have died in HK from H5N1. Haven't noticed the govt advising us to avoid humans.
假鳥迷
BBS Member
BBS God

Have fun...

« Reply #4 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 7:18pm »

I have a different view.  

My understanding to that sentence is "birds are victim", "they could be affected by the environment that created by Man", "the avian flu outbreak is brought out by Man"...  

In this complex situation, I saw some members of the Society tried hard to seek help from medical professional, to response media wisely, and to successfully make all the three simple and strict-forward message out in more than 6 pieces of newspapers.

The story-line of journalists is "birds are carrier of virus", they haven't response to the fact that "it is not the migratory season of SE Asia birds". I saw the same point in your letter to the editor on SCMP last week, and also in the BirdLife statement, but I coundn't found any feedback by news media, you know.

Sorry I am not familiar to this issue and contribute nothing. BUT I do appreciate the vice-chairman and other volunteers who are working hard on this issue and to collect relevant information for HKBWS members.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to them.

I look forward to seeing more members' contribution.

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2004, 9:33pm by 假鳥迷 » Logged
Captain

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 12:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Also, the 20,000 - 30,000 ft migration altitude of most migratory birds is certainly impossible for them to bomb chicken farms with their H5N1 droppings (if any). And then, causing outbreak of H5N1.

If the droppings of migratory birds could disperse H5N1, why we so far get them from chicken, not directly from the droppings of migratory birds that wintering or stopover HK from August to October 2003?

In addition, do most waterbirds migrate over the sea? not inland areas where chicken farms are located.

Another point of reference. Chicken farms are neither  migratory stopovers nor birdwatching hotspots in the world.

[b][/b].

Up to now, they can't even find H5N1 in migratory birds in Asia (they may not even know how broad of migratory birds are, ranging from big waterbirds to the commonest white-eyes and the frequently seen Black Kite over Central everyday). They also can't explain how H5N1 migratory birds infected chicken in chicken farms.
Webcreeper
BBS Moderator
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 9:23am »

That's why WHO can only say that the link between bird flu and migratory birds is implicated. There is no direct evidence:

"The disease can spread from country to country through international trade in live poultry. Migratory birds, including wild waterfowl, sea birds, and shore birds, can carry the virus for long distances and have, in the past, been implicated in the international spread of highly pathogenic avian influenza. Migratory waterfowl – most notably wild ducks – are the natural reservoir of bird flu viruses, and these birds are also the most resistant to infection. They can carry the virus over great distances, and excrete it in their droppings, yet develop only mild and short-lived illness."

They also name a number of ways through which the virus can spread:

1. Contaminated equipment, vehicles, feed, cages or clothing – especially shoes – can carry the virus from farm to farm.

2. Carried on the feet and bodies of animals, such as rodents, which act as “mechanical vectors” for spreading the disease. Limited evidence suggests that flies can also act as mechanical vectors.

3. Droppings from infected wild birds - the risk is greatest where domestic birds roam freely, share a water supply with wild birds, or use a water supply that might become contaminated by droppings from infected wild-bird carriers.

4. So called “wet” markets, where live birds are sold under crowded and sometimes unsanitary conditions, can be another source of spread.

The frequency at which 1, 2 and 4 can occur is far greater than that of 3.

From WHO's website, FAQ for Avian Flu
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/avian_faqs/en/#whatis
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2004, 9:34am by Webcreeper » Logged

>}o-}o-   >}o-         >}o-    .......x
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.