BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 7th, 2024, 12:28pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Special Topics 特別主題
   Wild Birds & Avian Flu 野鳥與禽流感
(Moderators: Forrest FONG, Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Got a letter from AFCD 收到漁護署來信
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Got a letter from AFCD 收到漁護署來信  (Read 2300 times)
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

Got a letter from AFCD 收到漁護署來信
« on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 8:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

the first section got nothing special, just let u know u are not allowed to entry MPNR.  the second section as below :

Please also note that for the sake of personal health and safety, it is advised that all bird watching activites should be temporary stopped in all areas of Hong Kong. You are also advised to keep a distance from wild birds, their nest, eggs, feather on ground and excreta.

all bird watching activites should be temporary stopped in all areas of Hong Kong.

Well..!!
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2004, 6:38pm by Webcreeper » Logged

Committee Member
BBS God

I love Nature!

Re: Got a letter from AFCD
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 8:58pm »

Ok! AFCD have done their job - and we know what to do.  
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

« Reply #2 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:43pm »

my friend told me, to be a responsible citizen. we are now stop all the bird watching activities..  

we hv to switch to bird photography from now on...!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

wonder how close we can get to the birds via birdwatching! i certainly do not go around touching faeces and licking my fingers.  

it seems to me that we're more prone to contracting the virus by going to the market than birdwatching somewhere quiet in hk.

is there no one from the Society who can speak up with supporting data, and clear the dirty name off wild birds?!
Falcon
BBS Member
BBS God

be like a falcon.....

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:02pm »

I really think that AFCD should not say this!! After all, hiking and other out door activities are all out doors, every one are also walking the same paths, they can have the same "responsibility" to stop ALL the out door activities! But now all the people think only bird watching will be dangerous!! But have they ever think  that the wild birds are one of the victims?? since Mai Po was close, i have heard a lot of peoples saying  destroying Mai Po or killing wild birds to prevent the virus spreading, but they have never notice that the Sparrows and Doves were sharing the same water and food with all other Chickens! This maybe one of the way how the wild birds are infected. I am really sad when i heard Mai Po is close, but if the government did this, why don't they close up all country park in HK? I think the government should really concerned about what they have decided and what they need to do next.

努力不一定會成功,但不努力一定不會成功!
Stefan

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:02pm »

I think the government is applying double standard.  If birdwatching is dangerous to health, then all areas of all the public parks (including country parks) in Hong Kong should be closed.  Is watching birds under higher risk of bird flu than BBQ in Tai Po Kau or feeding doves in Kowloon Park?

The society should do something to let the policy makers to understand more! Maybe an official petition to the Chief Executive is necessary?
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

« Reply #6 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:29pm »

Still dunno the wild bird cause the bird flu spread or the misuse of antibiotics in the farm make the H5N1 became super bacteria and spreading all over the world!!!

BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love snowgoose.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 4th, 2004, 9:13am »

Dear all,
Personal speaking, I really disagree bird flu was spread by wildbird. They are in fact a victim. They are killed because of our human behavior. Human never respect others - animals, plants and their living environment.

I am not studying bio, chem nor env. science, however, I suspect the bird flu this time actually comes out from chicken farms themselves. However, they are also innocent. You can see the farming environment from TV. Chicken are living in a congested cage. They have no chance to do execise as usual. What they are eating? Man-made artificial meal. What is it in fact? Meat from dead body, died fish, bone and even drops of pigs. What medicine do the chicken take? Antibodic, growing-fast and flu injection. Pig also takes several kinds of medicine. Very close contact between chicken, pigs and human activities.

Even human when in sick also take different kinds of medcine. What fault to wildbird? NO! Who fault? WE, human!

Everyone is only looking for money. Many resources are over-supplied but wasted. Food was distributed unevenly. Many lives are lost in 3rd world on the other hand many foods are disposed. Green environment is getting smaller and smaller. Many animals lose their living place and so do human finally.

Last time, I visited Malaysia, Taman Negara. The villagers - Orang Asli living in the forest totally rely on the environment. They build their house with leaves, rattan; set fire by wood, firestone; make their blowpipe all with natural materials; just kill enough animals for meal. Before they eat, they pray, they thank the animals who sacrifice their lives so that the people can survive. They do not take extra qty. When they find that the resources are getting less, they will move to another place. They treasure their environment.

In HK, landfill is really a big problem. Public filling area will be full in 8-12 yrs time. What is EPD planning to do? They have been discussing several years without answer.

Am I saying too much? Please forgive me if these are really nuts
s. But, do the human being ever think of how they can do better to their living planet? I am really sad, really really sad. Can we stirke to raise the public concern to the environmental protection and its problem? Can we organize a mass walk (say 100,00 people) with other green organizations for our living planet? What a big event, a big green campaign in HK. Forgive me if I am childish!
Barry  

BLee
Martin Williams

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 4th, 2004, 10:36am »

Yes, nonsense about this nasty form of bird flu being in wild birds (wild waterbirds carry forms of flu; like most flu in humans, not dangerous).
Irresponsible, unscientific, and crass of AFCD to suggest halt to birding in HK! Idiots!!!

Yes, this nasty, artificial "bird flu" (poultry farm flu) is evidently a product of poultry industry. Much easier to blame wild birds though.
Something I've emailed a few people:

"Various forms of "bird flu" known, typically infecting waterbirds, especially ducks; in natural, wild forms these aren't dangerous (cf humans and regular flu, even common cold).

Flu viruses readily mutate; allows them to rapidly evolve to new circumstances.

Chickens are forest birds; virus not natural to them [bit of speculation, but not ridiculous at all]; if flu crosses species barrier from domestic ducks to chickens, starts evolving. With mass farming, evolution can be rapid - there are several cases of a flu strain becoming very nasty in chickens; solution was to slaughter all infected birds.

One such strain that has mutated in poultry industry is H5N1; a variant from poultry industry killed 6 of 18 infected people in HK in 1997.
 Attempts were made to eradicate it, by killing all infected poultry. They failed.

This nasty strain - poultry farm frankenflu - has continued evolving, caused some known outbreaks (including in two HK public parks in late 2002 [yes, I lack proof, but migr birds' case seems well dodgy]).

Recently, this strain has exploded across Asia - spreading almost simultaneously, throughout poultry industry.
 Facts don't fit migratory birds as carriers: dates of their migrations and outbreaks wrong; species wrong [don't get n Asian ducks to Java, say]; and this artificially created flu kills wild birds too.

This new flu is nasty and dangerous, causing high mortality in all infected species: chickens, domestic ducks, humans; the only wild bird known to have been infected - a Peregrine in HK [believe it had the new strain] - was dead.
 It now threatens not just humans, but also wild birds."
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

« Reply #9 on: Feb 4th, 2004, 2:45pm »

I would echo what Hinson/Barry have said ...

Just look at the filthy conditions these chicken farms are in as can be see on TV news. It has left me without doubt that the extremely poor hygiene environment in these poultry factories is the key source of bird flu or other diseases for that matter. Blaming it on migratory birds without solid scientific proof is far too easy to do ...  

Remember the mad-cow disease saga not long ago, it's all part of human's own making!!!    

KK Hui ARPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2004, 2:47pm by KK Hui » Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.