BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | ¤¤¤å
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 5th, 2024, 10:13am

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ
   Special Topics ¯S§O¥DÃD
   Wild Birds & Avian Flu ³¥³¾»P¸V¬y·P
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper, Forrest FONG)
   Comments: H5N1 found in Magpie Robin ¹ï©óÄN쩬V H5N1ªº¬Ýªk
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Comments: H5N1 found in Magpie Robin ¹ï©óÄN쩬V H5N1ªº¬Ýªk  (Read 1823 times)
HKBWS Project
HKBWS Officers
BBS God

Please support HKBWS!

Comments: H5N1 found in Magpie Robin ¹ï©óÄN쩬V H5N1ªº¬Ýªk
« on: Jan 20th, 2006, 1:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Opinion on the occurrence of H5N1 avian flu virus in Magpie Robin

HF Cheung
20 Jan 2006

A. Comments
1. This is an incidence that is long expected, since the virus has been found in dead wild birds many times in Hong Kong before. For example, in the 2004-05 winter, there were three incidences of three dead wild birds (2 Grey heron and 1 Chinese Pond-heron) carrying the virus.  

2. This signals that Hong Kong has entered a higher level of alert. In some way that is very good news, since we have a chance of raising our alert. It provides a valuable clue for us to do something to stop the virus before it can inflict real damages. At present, there is no point to be panic. The threat to Hong Kong is still at a very low level. The danger is not from the dead bird itself. The real thing to do is to local the source of the virus, if there is any in Hong Kong.  

3. As with other years, the finding of the virus in Hong Kong does not coincide with the arrival of migratory birds. One may therefore speculate on how big is the role of migratory birds in transmitting the virus.  

B. Proposed Actions
4. The first suspect of the source of the virus is from poultry farm. Also, it is important to stop the virus to spread to the poultry farms. I have heard that AFCD have done some checking of the poultry farms in Hong Kong, especially near the Tai Po where the dead Magpie Robin was found. This is in the right direction, but I hope that there should be a thorough check not only on the operation of the farm, but an active effort should be done to look for possible source of the virus.  I propose that AFCD should check all the poultry farms (poultry and their food-water supply) for the virus. There should be no overlook of any presence of the virus in poultry farms.  

5. Oriental Magpie Robin is a popular cage bird in on the bird market. The possibility that this bird is from the bird market cannot be ruled out. I propose that AFCD should conduct a similar checked of the virus in the bird market.  

6. One possible source of the virus is from release of sick birds. As we have always said, release of bird by traders or for religious purpose should be closely monitored. Although I am not aware of present mode of monitoring, I proposed that every time there is a release of birds by traders or for religious purpose, the activities should be pre-approved.  

7. Pigeon racing has become much more popular in recent years in Hong Kong. Studies on Pigeons have reviewed that they can carry the virus with getting sick. Although the chance of a race pigeon transmitting the virus is small, I would still propose to keep a higher level of watch on race Pigeons. There should be a scheme to check every race pigeon for the virus periodically.

8. Don¡¦t panic;It would be wrong to starting killing, catching or chasing after the Oriental Magpie Robin or other wild birds.  Getting the wild birds tired and hungry lower their defense system.  That may need to an extensive outbreak of the virus among wild birds, which in the end would help to spread the disease.

C. Information on Oriental Magpie Robin
9. Oriental Magpie Robin is a very common bird in Hong Kong. It prefers lowland areas with bush and grassland. They are common near rural villages and urban parks. A survey of all winter birds in Hong Kong by the Hong Kong Bird Watching Society found more than 2000 Oriental Magpie Robin in Hong Kong. Their distribution is shown in the following map.

Note: Maximum number of Magpie Robin is 22 per each square.  
Deep blue- 12 - 22; Intermediate blue - 6 - 11; Light blue - 1 - 5; White - no distribution

10. Oriental Magpie Robin is a very popular cage bird in Hong Kong. I have no figures of the amount of trade in Hong Kong. May be AFCD has that figure.  

11. This species has a sweet and vary song. During the breeding season, each pair of Oriental Magpie Robin uses a different song to identify themselves to their neighbors. This species excels is in mimic the calls and songs other species. Overall this is a very smart and clever species in Hong Kong.  

A male Magpie Robin - Photo by Henry Lui

A female Magpie Robin - Photo by Henry Lui
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2006, 10:29pm by Webcreeper » Logged

HKBWS Manager (Projects & Communication)
­»´äÆ[³¾·| ¸g²z(¶µ¥Ø¤Î¶Ç°T)
gjcarey
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

Re: Comment to H5N1 found in Magpie Robin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 4:27pm »

Magpie Robin is a typical village and village-edge species that I have often seen feeding in or near back yards and gardens that contain poultry, or near small poultry farms in the New Territories. It would appear more likely that the source of this bird's infection is this association or, as Ho Fai suggests, its possible cage-bird origins than any direct influence from wild birds.

For AFCD to immediately suggest migratory birds ignores the important transmission mechanisms of poultry and cage birds. As Ho Fai suggests, let's hope that testing of all poultry in the area is being carried out.

Geoff

ÄN쩬O¤@ºØ±`¦b¶m§ø©M¶m§øÃäªu¬¡°Êªº³¶³¾¡AµL½×¬O·s¬É¥Á©~ªº«á¶é¡B¦³®a¸Vªºªá¶é©M¤p«¬®a¸V¾i´Þ³õ¡A§Ú³£¥i¥H¨£¨ì¨e­Ì¦b³V­¹¡C¥Ñ¦¹¬Ý¨Ó¡A¦º¥hªºÄN쩬V¯fªº³~®|«Ü¥i¯à©M³o¨Ç³õ¦a¦³Ãö¡A©ÎªÌ¦p¯E½÷©Ò»¡¡A¦º³¾¥i¯à´¿¸g¬O°¦Å¢³¾¡C¥H¤W¨âºØ¥i¯à¡A¦ü¥G³£¤ñ¯f¬rª½±µ¨Ó¦Û³¥³¾ªº¾÷·|­n°ª¡C

º®Å@¸p°¨¤W±N¯f¬r¨Ó·½«ü¦V­Ô³¾¡A¨S¦³¦Ò¼{¨ì®a¸V©MÅ¢³¾³£¥i¯à¬O­«­nªº¯f¬r¨Ó·½ ¡C´N¦p¯E½÷©Ò»¡¡A§Æ±æ·í§½·|ÀËÅç·í¦aªº®a¸V¡C

¸ëª¾¦æ

W ¤¤Ä¶
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2006, 6:21am by Webcreeper » Logged
Webcreeper
BBS Moderator
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

Re: Comments: H5N1 found in Magpie Robin ¹ï©óÄN쩬
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 12:07am »

¹ï¦³ÄN쩱a H5N1¸V¬y·P¯f¬rªº¬Ýªk

±i¯E½÷ 2006¦~1¤ë20¤é

A. µû½×

1. ³o¬O§Ú­Ì¦­¤w¹w®Æ¨ìªº¨Æ¥ó¢w¢w¥»´ä´¿¦h¦¸¦b¦º¥hªº³¥³¾¨­¤WÅç¥X¸V¬y·P¯f¬r¡A20 04/05¥V©u«K¦³3¦¸(¨â°¦»aÆO©M¤@°¦¦ÀÆO)¡C

2. ³oµo²{¼Ð¥Ü¸V¬y·P¹ï¥»´äªº«Â¯Ù¤w¸g¤É¯Å¡A±q¬YºØ¨¤«×¨Ó¬Ý³o¬O¦n®ø®§¡A¦]¬°¤j®a ·|¦]¦¹´£°ªÄµÄ±¡A±Ä¨ú¹w¨¾±¹¬I¡A¨¾±w¥¼µM¡C¥Ñ©ó¸V¬y·P¹ï¥»´äªº«Â¯Ù¤´µM»á§C¡A ¤j®aÉ`¶·®£·W¡A¦º³¾¨Ã¤£·|±a¨Ó¦MÀI¡C³Ì­«­nªº¬O§ä¥X¥»´ä¯f¬rªº·½ÀY¡A¦pªG¦³ªº ¸Ü¡C

3. ´N¦p¹L¥h´X¦~¤@¼Ë¡A¯f¬r¥X²{©M­Ô³¾©è´äªº®É¶¡¨Ã¤£§k¦X¡A¦]¦¹«ÜÃø¦ô­p­Ô³¾¹ï¸V ¬y·Pªº´²¼½°_µÛ¦h¤j§@¥Î¡C

B. «Øij

4. ¯f¬rªº·½ÀY¥H®a¸V¾i´Þ³õªº¶ûºÃ³Ì¤j¡A¦P®É¡A§Ú­Ì¤]­n¨¾¤î¯f¬rÂX´²¨ì³o¨Ç¦a¤è¡C ¾Ú±xº®Å@¸p¤w¸g¨ì¥»´äªº¤@¨Ç¸V³¾¾i´Þ³õ¨µµø¡A¤×¨ä¬Oµo²{¦º¥hÄN쩪º¤j®H¤@±a¡C ³o¬O¥¿½Tªº°µªk¡A¦ý¬O§Ú§Æ±æ·í§½°£¤F¥þ­±Àˬd¾i´Þ³õªº¹B§@¤§¥~¡AÁÙ·|¥D°Ê§ä¥X ¯f¬rªº¥i¯à¨Ó·½¡C§Ú«Øijº®Å@¸pÀ³¸ÓÀËÅç¾i´Þ³õªº¸V³¾©MÁý¹}¥Îªº¤ô·½¡A¥H½T©w¦³ ¨S¦³¯f¬r¡A©Ò¦³¾i´Þ³õ³£¤£®e©ñ¹L¡C

5. ÄN쩬O±`¨£ªºÅ¢³¾¡A¦º¥hªºÄNì©¥i¯à¨Ó¦ÛÃdª«©±¡A¦]¦¹§Ú«Øijº®Å@¸p¹ï³¶³¾¥«³õ¶i ¦æ¦PÃþªºÀËÅç¡C

6. ¯f¬r¤]¥i¯à¨Ó¦Û©ñ¥Íªº¯f³¾¡C§Ú­Ì¤@ª½»{¬°­nºò±KºÊ¹î³¾³c©Î±Ð®{ªº©ñ¥Í¬¡°Ê¡AÁö µM§Ú¨Ã¤£²M·¡¥Ø«e¦³¨Ç¬Æ»òºÊ¹î±¹¬I¡A§Ú«Øij¦pªG³¾³c©Î±Ð®{­n©ñ¥Í³¶³¾¡A¨C¦¸³£ ­n¨ú±o¦³Ãö·í§½ªº§å­ã¤~¥i¥H¶i¦æ¡C

7. ÁÉÂF¬¡°Ê¦bªñ¦~¤w¸g¶}©l¬y¦æ°_¨Ó¡A¬ã¨sµo²{ÂF¤l¥i¥H±aµÛ¸V¬y·P¯f¬r¦Ó¤£µo¯f¡A ÁöµMÁÉÂF¶Ç¼½¸V¬y·Pªº¾÷·|¤£¤j¡A¦ý¬O§Ú¤´µM«Øij­n¥[±j³o¤è­±ªººÊ¹î¡A©w´ÁÀËÅç ¨C¤@°¦ÁÉÂF¡C

8. ¤£¥²®£·W¡C¤£À³±þ¦º©ÎªÌ®·®»ÄNì©©M¨ä¥L³¥³¾¡A¯h­Â©M°§¾j·|´î§C³¥³¾ªº§K¬Ì¯à¤O ¡A¥i¯à¤Þ­P¸V¬y·P¦b³¥³¾¶¡¤j³W¼ÒÃzµo¡A¦]¦Ó§Uªø¯f¬rªº¶Ç¼½¡C

C. Ãö©óÄN쩪º¸ê®Æ

9. ÄN쩬O¥»´ä±`¨£ªº³¶³¾¡A³ßÅw¦b¦³Äé¤ì©M¯óÂOªº§C¦a¬¡°Ê¡A¦b¶m§ø©M¥«°Ï¤½¶é¤º³£ «Ü®e©ö¨£¨ì¡C­»´äÆ[³¾·|°µªº¥V©u³¾Ãþ´¶¬dµo²{¥»´ä¦³¤G¤d°¦¥H¤W¡A¤À§G¦p¤U¹Ï¡G  

µù¡G¨C¤p®æ­±¿n¬°1¥­¤è¤½¨½¡AÄN쩤À§G±K«×³Ì°ª¬°¨C¥­¤è¤½¨½22°¦¡C
²`ÂŦâ¡G12-22°¦¡F¤¤«×ÂŦâ¡G6-11°¦¡F²LÂŦâ¡G1-5°¦¡F¥Õ¦â¡G¨S¦³µo²{¡C

10. ÄN쩬O¥»´ä«D±`¨üÅwªïªºÅ¢³¾¡A§Ú¨S¦³½æ¶Rªº²Î­p¼Æ¦r¡A¤]³\º®Å@¸p·|¦³¡C

11. ÄN쩪ººqÁn®®¦Õ¦hÅÜ¡A¦bÁc´Þ´Á¶¡¡A¨C¹ïÄN쩳£¦³¿W¯SªººqÁn¡A©M¾Fªñªº¨ä¥LÄNì© ¤£¦P¡A§@¬°ÃѧO¡CÄN쩤Sµ½©ó¼Ò¥é¨ä¥L³¾ºØªº¥sÁn¡A¬O­»´ä¤@ºØ«ÜÁo©úªº³¶³¾¡C

W ¤¤Ä¶

¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@>}o-}o-¡@¡@¡@>}o-¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@>}o-¡@¡@¡@¡@.......x
Fred
BBS Member
BBS God

Birds are fascinating!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 12:36am »

Is there any regular or established mechanism to publicize this kind of opinions for example through the press or other mass media?  I would think that is important to maintaining at least a balanced view of the issue, in addition to educating the public at large.  
Webcreeper
BBS Moderator
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

Re: Comments: H5N1 found in Magpie Robin ¹ï©óÄNì©? size=
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 12:52pm »

Hi Kumanfai,

Thanks for the suggestion!

The HKBWS office has good contacts with the press, who often approach the Society for views regarding issues related to birds. In return the Society would contact them when we have information of significant news value to contribute.

In addition, this BBS is also an important forum to air our views - points made here will be noted by various parties.

Regards,
Webcreeper
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2006, 1:22pm by Webcreeper » Logged

¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@>}o-}o-¡@¡@¡@>}o-¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@¡@>}o-¡@¡@¡@¡@.......x
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 2:26pm »

It would be interesting to find out from the gene sequence of the Magpie Robin, if it was the same as the Qinghai Lake birds or those in Vietnam/Indonesia.  

Apparently there is a difference in the 2 sequences
martin
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

Dead Ducks Don't Fly!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 8:51am »

I wonder if it was being kept for fighting, and tossed out when sickened and died.
Slight evidence: in SCM Post, a cleaner sweeping streets in same village said (she) had seen three or four other dead birds lately, looking the same. Magpie robins territorial, so I'd figure it odd to find a few dead ones in same area, esp without other dead birds.

Yes, farms need closer look.
Vaccination and surveillance need massive, sustained effort to ensure poultry is H5N1 free. Minor slip in Guangdong - esp with the virus rife in much of China - could lead to problems.

What of condition of the robin: plumage, bare parts, suggesting captive or wild? Just seen that a reference suggests there are 15 sub-species of magpie robin; would it be possible to tell if it's from elsewhere?
[Tho other thread on this includes: "A bird dealer at Bird Garden said the dead Magpie Robin did not belong to the bigger and sweeter-singer birds that are imported from Malaysia." and suggestion re examining stomach contents.]

H5N1 Poultry Flu and Wild Birds Forum
HK Outdoors
martin
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

Dead Ducks Don't Fly!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 4:52pm »

Email just in from AFCD:
Quote:
According to the information from our Veterinary Officers, the concerned Magpie Robin is probably a wild bird as the features of captive/cage birds mentioned in your e-mail below could not be found. In addition, they examined the stomach of the bird and found that it was empty.

[my email:  
Have they been examined for signs they may have been captive birds:  
feather wear, damage to bills, feet etc; even examination of stomach  
contents?  
- and are there other indicators of whether they were likely local wild  
birds, or of captive origin? (any differences between our birds, and  
those that are imported) ]

H5N1 Poultry Flu and Wild Birds Forum
HK Outdoors
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·|
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS ­» ´ä Æ[ ³¾ ·| ·s »D ²Õ » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.