BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 6th, 2024, 1:56pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Special Topics 特別主題
   Wild Birds & Avian Flu 野鳥與禽流感
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper, Forrest FONG)
   Mai Po closure 關閉米埔自然保護區
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mai Po closure 關閉米埔自然保護區  (Read 5683 times)
LUN
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

Re: Mai Po closure 關閉米埔自然保護區
« Reply #15 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

為了防止禽流感
政府封了米埔
但還有候鳥聚集在南生圍、尖鼻咀甚至米埔附近的魚塘
根本就沒法憑此去防備禽流感
只是轉移視線吧!
要阻止禽流感是要阻止人和鳥類有密切的接觸
在街市人和禽鳥的距離只有一板之隔
在米埔人鳥相距多麼遠
為什麼不連街市也封了呢?
「人雞分隔」何時實行呢?
還有走私、放生雀鳥等行為,為何不管制呢?
為什麼只有針對候鳥的行動?是因為這樣不會傷害到既得利益者?

封了米埔、取消濕地日活動、延遲觀鳥比賽
好像顯示了政府的決策果斷
但這些並非真正有效的措施
只會加重市民的懷疑和製造恐慌
結果是政府還要推出更多政策去滿足一般市民
沒完沒了

現在政府要做的應是加強對醫療系統的支援、隔離人和家禽、打擊走私、監管放生 鳥類,而不是阻礙觀鳥、野外考察等活動,更不應製造恐慌。
martin
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

Dead Ducks Don't Fly!

« Reply #16 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 9:02am »

Seems possible magpie robin and mynah were of captive origin; supposed contact with migratory waterfowl (ducks) seems unlikely.

Yet, Mai Po closed - and no mention of closure of wild bird markets.  

H5N1 Poultry Flu and Wild Birds Forum
HK Outdoors
subbuteo71
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 5:49pm »

Cynically, closures of Mai Po and the aviaries cost nothing and make it looks like the Government has done something.  The Government statement before CNY was along the lines of "We have looked at the risks of avain flu and balanced them against the demand for chicken, so we are importing more chickens."  And what was the outcome, another case of bird flu, more hysteria and us getting locked out of Mai Po (again!).  What are they intending to do with the urban parks?  There are birds there.  What about the urban area the crested mynah was found in?  Will that become a closed area.  It is a ridiculous policy.

I find the silence from across the border slightly ominous- if that's were the latest poultry case came from, what are they doing about it?  What has happened to the rest of the chickens from the same source?
David_Diskin
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #18 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:05pm »

I also can't see the rationale for closing Mai Po.  

I would suggest that the HKBWS, as an official body, send a letter to all the major newspapers - English and Chinese -  stating the facts that have been outlined on this BBS site (see Mike's post above)  and asking the Govt to give a rational, scientific justification for their actions.

dave diskin

miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #19 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:35pm »

In responding to WWF's message informing us of the closure of Mai Po and the arrangements for the BBR 06 my team have sent WWF the following reply:

"This action will no doubt adversely affect the general public's perception of wild birds and their role in carrying avian flu.  Surely the perceived risk is minimal compared to visiting the wet markets in Hong Kong (which will presumably remain open) where people really do come into close proximity with birds, unlike at Mai Po - it may be more appropriate to distribute the hygiene packs at these markets.  Similar to two years ago, as wild birds are present everywhere in Hong Kong, this appears to be a farcical and purely political decision on the part of the government who wish to be seen to be doing something, no matter how ludicrous.  As this action has no adverse effect on the HK economy, Mai Po is again the scapegoat.  As avian flu is probably endemic in Hong Kong, and evidently spreading round the globe, I just hope that there will not be pressure to (in the worst case) permanently close Mai Po and that Mai Po can soon be opened again. Please can the WWF do everything possible to ensure that this happens as soon as possible."

Personally, I can't believe that after all these years since the first outbreak and two years on from the previous closure incident, we still haven't smashed this "link" with wild birds. It's clear that only when birds are put into totally artificial -and literally sickening - levels of proximity to each other i.e. poultry factories and the cage bird trade do they transmit flu to each other so easily, allowing the bug's evolutionary rate to accelerate many times, as its population explodes.

The point that tomorrow I can go and paddle through a mixture of chicken excrement and water at the wet markets but can't even DRIVE the perfectly dry clean road at Mai Po is particularly telling.

Mike Turnbull
Fred
BBS Member
BBS God

Birds are fascinating!

« Reply #20 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:06am »

Mike has perfectly expressed what I also like to say.  It is a shame to Hong Kong to have such an administration being so illogical and irresponsible.  All along I could only see so-called experts on TV who kept telling the media their personal views about the issues without any scientific basis.  May be the government is very ill-advised after all.  It looks to me that the role of the HKBWS has been merely a hobbist group instead of an influential authority.  After repeated bad experience, I wish the genuine experts should rise and upstage the pretenders.
gjcarey
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 1:30pm »

I would also like to add my voice to calls for the Society to take a firmer line regarding the closure of Mai Po (and, as expressed in other threads, the bird trade and bird releases).

With regard to Mai Po, it makes no sense at all to keep it closed, for reasons that have been explained above and elsewhere. I do not understand why the Society has been so quiet on this issue.

It is not that the Society needs to say that visiting Mai Po is risk-free, but that the risk is actually less (and certainly no greater) than it is in urban areas, public parks and wet markets.  

Almost all of the birds found so far this winter to have tested positive for H5N1 are species that are commensal with man, and only one (I think) is a water bird, the Little Egret in Tuen Mun. Despite frequent checking of both the WWF Mai Po and KCRC Lok Ma Chau wetlands, no H5N1 cases have been found. Why is Mai Po any less safe than the immediately adjacent fish pond areas where people work and where there is public access?

It would appear from what is happening in HK and from published research that H5N1 is endemic in many species of birds in south China. Thus, the issue is much more widespread than simply Mai Po. Further, it also means that it is likely to continue for some time: are we to tolerate Mai Po being closed indefinitely?

I truly  fail to see why the Society is not taking a stronger, official position on this. A press conference and letters to both Chinese and English press are required, initially, followed by meetings with government officials.

Other groups are standing up for their interests at this time; is the Society?

Geoff Carey
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #22 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 3:39pm »

While I agree with what Gary has said, I am a little concerned about school groups visiting Mai Po, as some of these young (and some are very young children) may not understand or take notice to there general personal hygine. Especially when yound children go to the floating hides, they must hold the hand rails of the walkway, and to most birders we know that this is a favourite roost for a lot of waterbirds.

Mai Po (except for the floating hides as already mentioned) are surely as safe as Nam Sang Wai
gjcarey
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 3:54pm »

No problem. Do not take groups out to the boardwalk. The fact is that even before the reserve was closed, there were hardly any visitors anyway.

There is no need for a blanket ban on entry to the reserve. There are ways of arranging things to incorporate some flexibility and allow responsible adults to make their own decisions about a low-risk activity.

Geoff (not Gary!)
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #24 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 4:12pm »

I agree with your ban on groups going out to the floating hides - the possible reason for groups not going out before was the tides were always low but with March approaching we have all be waiting eagerly ( since last winter) for the high tides.

Since most of the school and group visits are organised by WWF it is up to them to come forward and suggest to the relevant government department that if the ban is lifted they (WWF) will voluntarily stop group/school  visits to the floating hides until advised by the department
Lew_Young
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

« Reply #25 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 9:16pm »

Dear Bob and others,

To put the records straight, Eric Bohm and I from WWF had a meeting with one of the Deputies Secretaries from Health, Welfare and Food Bureau in November 2005 where we were told that if there was an H5N1 outbreak in Guangdong Province or in HK, then Mai Po would immediately be closed. We countered this by suggesting that instead of closing down MP completly, that the government just sends a public announcement out to the public to tell the public to take more care of their hygeine when they are out in areas with large number of wild birds, in the same way that the Education and Manpower Bureau sent out to schools. Anyone who was concerned with catching birdflu would then opt out of visiting MP but those who still wanted to go, could still visit. We then followed this discussion up with a letter to York Chow outlining the same suggestion. We did not get a formal reply to our letter from the HWFBureau and what do you know, the government closed MP.

WWF is just as fed up as everyone else is and over this past winter, we have jointly organised press meetings with scientists from the Department of Microbiology (HKU), gave numerous newspaper and radio interviews to try and get our point across.  

Its not easy trying to get your point across when it is the editors who decides on which angle to take on any issue and the editors will also lean on the side that will sell the most newspaper the next day. By the way, I have heard that Oriental Daily has been one of the worst in getting their facts wrong about wild birds and frequently saying in their editorials that Mai Po should be closed. Despite WWF writing to their editors to get their facts right, we of course, got no reply.

In the coming weeks, we are planning further meetings with AFCD, other government departments, legislative members etc. to see what we can do to get MP opened again, at least for those people with their own permits.

WWF is not enjoying having the reserve closed because amongst other things, our income has dropped and it is unlikely this time (unlike when MP was closed in 2004), that we will get any financial help from government. That means the BBR will be more important than ever in raising funds for the reserve.

At least we are not in as bad a situation as Guan-du Nature Park outside Taipei when they have had to sack half of their staff because of a drop in income because of the fear of bird flu.

Be assured that WWF will do what we can to get the reserve opened again as quickly as we can.

Thank you very much for all your support in the meantime.

Lew
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #26 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 9:52pm »

I for one would be happy to visit MPNR and sign a disclaimer. I am not taking Avian Flu lightly. I was fortunate enough to attend a private briefing on the situation as part of my job and our company's contingency planning. The scenario painted was pretty apocalyptic. And yes, I have taken the precaution of getting hold of some Tamiflu as insurance.  I also know it may not be effective. Nevertheless as a reasonably well-balanced (I hope) individual with a small grain of intelligence buried somewhere deep in my head, I think I am as much at risk at home amongst the Magpie robins etc as I am at MPNR and frankly I think the risk is miniscule. I can't claim to have read all the learned literature and analysis but I am yet to be convinced that migrating wild birds are the problem rather than domestic poultry or the like. I continue to go birding whenever I can  and would be happy to sign a petition advocating the re-opening of MPNR for those who are happy to go there. Nobody is forced to visit! I have no idea what the loss of income to the reserve is or will be but maybe you could find one enlightened editor in HK to carry some some fund raising copy for you. I'm sure if you were prepared to pay for the space even the Oriental daily would carry the WWF viewpoint. Why not an open letter to the government via the SCMP? Why should we miss the Spring migration because a bureaucrat is playing CYA. This is ludicrous.

Andrew

Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #27 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 6:04am »

Thanks Lew for letting us know that WWF having been working hard, behind the scenes, to re-open Mai Po.

Andrew mentioned that nobody is forced to go to Mai Po, this is true for bird watchers but for school visits, I feel that there must be a lot of pressure on children that decide to opt out of the visit, especially from there school friends.

Lew keep up the good work and we are awaiting to hear the good news "that the gates are open again"
Cran
BBS Member
BBS Senior Member

I love bird watching!

« Reply #28 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 1:50pm »

Quoting from the web:

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/060302/187/1lpg0.html

"Decision to close parks baffles WWF  

WWF Hong Kong has challenged the government to spell out the scientific reasons for closing some parks and reserves as part of precautions against bird flu.

The group, whose bird-watching reserve at Mai Po has been closed for a month, has written to the Health, Welfare and Food Bureau seeking clarification."
Fred
BBS Member
BBS God

Birds are fascinating!

« Reply #29 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 9:53pm »

Thanks to WWF and Lew who are doing their hard work behind the scene.  I believe you have the support of many bird watchers although a call to the HKBWS members for a more vocal stand appears to be in vain.  It is a pity that HK people usually are silent on non-economical issues.  Bird watchers in HK are perhaps no exception.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.