BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 5th, 2024, 2:37pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Special Topics 特別主題
   Wild Birds & Avian Flu 野鳥與禽流感
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper, Forrest FONG)
   Closing MP promotes wrong idea about AI 關閉米埔散播錯誤觀念
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Closing MP promotes wrong idea about AI 關閉米埔散播錯誤觀念  (Read 1844 times)
Mike Kilburn
Committee Member
BBS God

Closing MP promotes wrong idea about AI 關閉米埔散播錯誤觀念
« on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 4:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Mai Po has once again been closed by the Administration:

The reason given is "as a precautionary measure".  

Unfortunately there is no logic to this:  

How many people have contracted Avian Flu from a wild bird anywhere in the world?

Answer: zero

How often do birdwatchers touch wild birds:

Answer: only in exceptional circumstances

How many of the birds found with Avian Flu in Hong Kong this year are migratory species?

Answer: None of them - Crested Mynah and Magpie Robin are both resident species AND . . . both are often kept as cage birds

If it is risky to go to Mai Po, why is it safe to feed pigeons in Kowloon Park:

Answer: It is NOT safer! It is much more risky!

Why?

Because Avian Flu is spread in bird droppings and poeple come into close contact with the birds

If it is risky to go to Mai Po why is it safe to go to Bird Street when it is known that wild birds in cages are  a known carrier.

Answer: It is NOT safer! It is much more risky!

Why: Because people come into close contact with bird that are often highly stressed and sick and therefore more susceptible to catching and spreading Avian Flu

How many infected birds have been found at Mai Po this year?

Answer: None

How many have been tested?

Answer: Thousands

So why is the Administration closing Mai Po?

Answer: It seems like it needs to be seen to be doing something, even if its actions have basis in scientific fact! and help to add to the misunderstanding and fear regarding Avian Flu

Mike Kilburn

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:24pm by Webcreeper » Logged

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman
Chairman - ConservationCommittee
HKBWS
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

Re: Closing Mai Po promotes wrong idea about Avian
« Reply #1 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 7:35pm »

Concerning pigeons in Kowloon Park, I was there this afternoon briefly, amongst hundreds of people who were frequently practically sharing benches with truly wild birds yet who were prevented from approaching the captive birds because according to the English version of the notices "wild birds in HK are now known to be infested (sic) with avian flu".  I'm sorry but the logic escapes me entirely.

At the same time the feral pigeons (about 50 of them) were feasting on several slices of bread that had been put down for them and which park staff had failed to clear up promptly.

Absurdity upon absurdity.

Mike Turnbull
Karl
BBS Testing
BBS Senior Member

I love watching birds!

WWW Email

Re: Closing MP promotes wrong idea about AI 關閉米
« Reply #2 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:17pm »

on Feb 3rd, 2006, 4:41pm, Mike Kilburn wrote:
Mai Po has once again been closed by the Administration:

The reason given is "as a precautionary measure".  

So why is the Administration closing Mai Po?

Answer: It seems like it needs to be seen to be doing something, even if its actions have basis in scientific fact! and help to add to the misunderstanding and fear regarding Avian Flu

Mike Kilburn

"as a precautionary measure" - yes, it is correct.  The reason behind is that they are afraid of wild birds staging at Mai Po being infested with Avian Flu from human being, i suspected.
gjcarey
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 2:55pm »

It is now reported that H5N1 is endemic in birds in south China (SCMP 7th Feb). This is entirely in line with the recent positive testings of Crested Mynah and Magpie Robin. These species are commensal with man, and there are far more in a place such as Kowloon Park, and in much closer proximity to humans, than is the case at Mai Po.  

If H5N1 is endemic in local birds, the ludicrousness of closing Mai Po is further emphasised. It's a wholly unscientific and ridiculous knee-jerk reaction on the part of government.

Geoff
Little Dolphin
BBS Member
BBS God

Man and Nature, harmony forever

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 10:49pm »

on Feb 7th, 2006, 2:55pm, gjcarey wrote:
It is now reported that H5N1 is endemic in birds in south China (SCMP 7th Feb). This is entirely in line with the recent positive testings of Crested Mynah and Magpie Robin. These species are commensal with man, and there are far more in a place such as Kowloon Park, and in much closer proximity to humans, than is the case at Mai Po.  

If H5N1 is endemic in local birds, the ludicrousness of closing Mai Po is further emphasised. It's a wholly unscientific and ridiculous knee-jerk reaction on the part of government.

Geoff

It is interesting but disturbing that the H5 virus can infect and kill birds across several families, even species in different orders. They should be biologically very different. This may spell disaster for our resident birds.

Why close down Mai Po but not Kowloon Park? I reckon the guys in our government aren't birders. Perhaps they think Kowloon Park only has sparrows and pigeons. Almost all of my friends at school don't know magpie robins and mynas and starlings and bulbuls exist around the school. I guess most non-birders just don't notice the rich diversity of birds in urban HK. As we are the informed people, it's up to us to show the public the natural treasures around them and teach them the truth on bird flu.

Rex Au Yeung

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
--- John Donne (1572-1631)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.