BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Apr 20th, 2024, 12:43am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Special Topics 特別主題
   Winter Altas Survey 冬季鳥類普查
(Moderators: HF_Cheung, BBS Moderators)
   Rare bird near Tung Tze (Shuen Wan) sq
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rare bird near Tung Tze (Shuen Wan) sq  (Read 2873 times)
Captain

Email

Rare bird near Tung Tze (Shuen Wan) sq
« on: Dec 15th, 2003, 10:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Two Yellow-legged Buttonquails were seen on 12 Dec at about 3:15 pm at a small hill near Tung Tze by Mike Kilburn and me.  

Although it was seen in the afternoon, don't know whether this observation can contribute to the Winter Bird Survey.  
HF_Cheung
BBS Moderator
Committee Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Email

Re: Rare bird near Tung Tze (Shuen Wan) sq
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Captain,  

Certainly not.  Any species outside the designated survey period should not be counted, else there will be observation time bias.  

HF Cheung  

Captain

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2003, 10:01am »

Could birds recorded in non-target time during the survey period be put to an appendix as a reference?  

Captain
Geoff Carey

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2004, 7:10pm »

If we did that, Captain, then all bird records made during the survey period and submitted to the Society would need to go in an Appendix. In this respect, there is no difference between your interesting buttonquail record and the Chinese Bulbuls I see every winter's day.

The best place for your buttonquail record, which is very interesting, is in the Excel file for all records of non-rarities, which is available on the website. These records will then be used in preparation of the Systematic List in the HKBR.

Incidentally, this file has recently been updated to be more user friendly, and now includes the latest HK List with recent additions.

Regards,

Geoff
Captain

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25th, 2004, 11:38pm »

OK. OK. The principle behind is understood. But just some comments on the survey itself.  

It is ture to consider all bird records if the survey is aimed at finding out the bird diversity of a square. More bird records are no harm to the survey, even through they are bulbuls

It is incorrect to consider bird records outside the study time if it is a quantitative survey, esp if we want to study the long term trend, and compare the abundance among squares.

So, is the Winter Bird Atlas survey a quantitative survey? Pls don't mind I asked this question as I missed the briefying in the beginning of this survey.
Geoff Carey

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 11:57am »

Yes, it is a quantitative survey.

Geoff
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.