BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Apr 25th, 2024, 6:46pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Knowledge Sharing 知識分享
   FAQ 常見問題
(Moderators: Webcreeper, BBS Moderators, Forrest FONG)
   Quality & sizes of posted photo 新聞組貼圖檔案大小
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Quality & sizes of posted photo 新聞組貼圖檔案大小  (Read 4111 times)
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

Quality & sizes of posted photo 新聞組貼圖檔案大小
« on: May 9th, 2003, 9:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Reply to Important Message - Uploading photos
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=PhotoGallery;action=d isplay;num=1051940815

***Remarks: Since the width of the photo d (over 800 in resolution) is larger than the screen, it will enlarges/widens the column and makes the text of all the messages go outside (beyond the right hand side) the screen. I therefore put this reply in a separate thread so as not to affect the other messages in the original thread.

2) Quality & sizes of posted photo

Photo a

Photo b

Just from the screen, can you tell me which photo is in the size of 45k and which one is 100k.

Photo c (1024x685)

Photo d (800x535)

Which one do you prefer, photo C or photo D?

"……if you consider storage space? why don't you just leave them on their original server?……”

I would clarify that resizing of the posted photos is not due to considering storage problem of the HKBWS file server.  

I agree that photo size does affect the quality and it does affect the loading time too. I have reiterated in my previous messages (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Spoonbill;action=disp lay;num=1038650045;start=0) that the optimum setting for photo posting in BBS is 640x480 and not more than 50k in size.

We can see that there is no big difference between 1xxk photo & 30~50k photo for web viewing but the loading time for the 1xxk photo is much much longer (10 times or even more) than 50k photo. The 56k users always encounter difficulty in loading file over 100k due to the long loading period required.

Please understand that although broadband connection is very common in HK now, some BBS visitors are still using 56k due to various reasons, eg. unavailable in remote area (Mike’s case), visitors from Mainland China & oversea area, financial problem (the broadband service charge for commercial use is unaffordable to HKBWS office) etc. I think we should strike for a balance between quality & size and show consideration to all the BBS users.

Therefore, I would like to request BBS members to use the optimum setting I mentioned above to post their photos in the BBS, i.e. not more than 640x480 in resolution and 50k in size. For complicate image, higher resolution (800) and more than 50k in size can be adopted but in any case, the photo should not exceed 100k in size. If the posted photo is exceeding 100k in size, I will compress it into a smaller size for proper displaying in the BBS. Please be assured that I will try my best to keep the effect due to resizing as less as possible.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2005, 10:56pm by Webcreeper » Logged

FF
Webcreeper
BBS Moderator
BBS Member
BBS God

I'm a webcreeper

Re: Quality & sizes of posted photo 新聞組貼圖檔案
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 11:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Further Info. 還有:

Optimum Image Size for BBS 新聞組照片檔最佳大小

>}o-}o-   >}o-         >}o-    .......x
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.