Board logo

Subject: Disturbance of Nest [Print This Page]

Author: wilsondring    Time: 20/05/2013 12:19     Subject: Disturbance of Nest

very disturbing news: it has become on every HK birder's caldender to visit the pair of Barn Owlets at Kam Tin Tree House feeding their new born and teaching them to fly ..

however, I am sorry to report that there is no need to visit the site this year! I have been informed by a friend, who in turn was told by the store owner at Kam Tin that someone climbed the tree and photographed the eggs last week. Not only did he try to photograph the eggs, but he also touched them!

the store owner say that he has not seen the adults for the past two days and have not seen any chicks either ..
I am posting not only to inform all that there is no more photographic opportunity this year but would also like to ask all of you here to educate our friends. nesting birds are very vunerable and the adults often leave the nest as well as the new born to die, if they sense danger!
Author: tbob    Time: 20/05/2013 12:49

Although it is illegal to disturb nests under Cap 170 Wild Animal Protection Ordinance and Cap 132BC Sect 11 Pleasure Grounds Regs.

Who should you contact if you see this disturbance happening or about to happen (for example felling of tree with nest in it)

Bob
Author: fkm    Time: 21/05/2013 00:33

I hope this is not true!

I discovered a similar site in Macau in May 2011. According to the neighborhood, the Owlets have been nesting there year after year. Unluckily, when the chicks emerged, I also observed a Crested Goshawk raiding the area, going after the chicks! Although the disturbance is not from human, no more nesting activity has been observed last year and this.

Does that mean the Owlets would abandon an unsafe site forever?
Author: ying    Time: 21/05/2013 03:02

如果事情是真的,做出如此行為真是禽獸不如!但是現場為什麼没有人去阻止?!
Author: 星魚    Time: 21/05/2013 09:07

Feel so sorry to hear that,,,,that why everybody want to keep the site of the nest or bird as a secret,,no trust between every bird-lovers,,Can we become better and more considerated!!Think more for the BIRD PLS,,,NOT YOURSELF,,,,!!
Author: ((華仔))    Time: 21/05/2013 12:13

過份得過份! 香港越來越多人愛鳥攝,
但也開始越來越多一些只顧拍照而不懂珍惜大自然既拍友,
不只是雀鳥, 牠們附近既環境也常被拍攝者因要取得最佳位置而遭破壞,
我們就算看見只能控制一時一刻,卻不能24小時看守著,
現只可說聲無奈! 並希望大伙兒既影友們約見到類似情況發生,
盡量提醒週邊既朋友!

Author: slauhk    Time: 21/05/2013 13:35

而家有些人為了影而影,有錢買器材但沒法買人格,唔會愛惜上天給予我們的恩賜!
Author: ying    Time: 27/05/2013 01:25

最近傳言該事件是一個肥胖,慣用 Leica 長焦距 DC ,常帶著一位外地女仕拍鳥的人幹的!因此人曾向一些人仕展示鳥蛋的圖片,以炫耀自己爬上鳥巢拍到鳥蛋!
Author: VRII    Time: 7/06/2013 00:05

Quote:
Original posted by wilsondring at 20/05/2013 12:19
very disturbing news: it has become on every HK birder's caldender to visit the pair of Barn Owlets at Kam Tin Tree House feeding their new born and teaching them to fly ..

however, I am sorry to re ...
請勿隨便相信流言,我今天到過樹屋找士多老闆,他親口跟我說沒有看見有人爬上樹,並表示貓媽孵蛋兩月,仍孵不出小貓頭鷹(以前亦有孵不出的紀錄),可能今年天氣反常,四月仍然很冷,過往因天氣熱貓媽經常要離巢乘涼,今年卻不見如此,這是他的經驗,是否科學我不清楚了
另外根據我從2007年起的記錄,小貓頭鷹出巢時間多在五月初,2011年5月13日算是最遲,如果以你所述的日期(即約5月13日左右)有人攀樹而拍攝到鳥蛋,那極有可能是不能孵化的蛋及被親鳥遺棄的
至於是否有人攀樹騷擾鳥巢,這個可能牲是不可排除的,因老闆會放假及飲早茶後才返回士多,而攀樹騷擾鳥巢者是必須受到譴責的
再補充一點,若干年前,是有村民將跌在地上的小貓頭鷹撿去,或飼養或煲湯,自從有攝影人仕在場後已多年未嘗再發生此等事情

[ Last edited by VRII at 7/06/2013 00:18 ]

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0