Board logo

Subject: [Eagles] Crested Goshawk and Besra(?) [Print This Page]

Author: subbuteo    Time: 8/09/2013 18:57     Subject: Crested Goshawk and Besra(?)

8 September 2013, Ng Tung Chai

Larger image (smaller version posted in Lam Tsuen thread)

Crested Goshawk and a Besra(?), although from size, pale colour and the "straight" trailing edge of the wing, could it be a Japanese Sparrowhawk?  I realise this would be an early record but I am not so familiar with either Besra or Japanese Sparrowhawk to be sure of the id!  

Dylan

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 8/09/2013 19:29 ]
Author: ajohn    Time: 9/09/2013 13:14

I would say based on pattern of the underparts (grey face, heavily marked breast) that this is a Besra. But the angle of the bird makes it very difficult to accurately assess the structure, which is very useful for separation of these two species.
Author: subbuteo    Time: 9/09/2013 14:44

Thanks John, Besra is fairly often seen in Lam Tsuen but I think is usually darker in colour.  This one one is different enough that I am not sure- it was significantly smaller than the Crested Goshawk but it's not often you see the two together so could've looked even smaller in a side-by-side comparison.  I didn't get a good look as I only had the camera in hand so can't offer much more information.

If you click on the image you get a much enlarged version in photobucket which may offer a little more detail.

Dylan

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0