Board logo

Subject: Blue-Winged Pitta 馬來八色鶇 [Print This Page]

Author: fmaison    Time: 17/04/2008 17:34     Subject: Blue-Winged Pitta 馬來八色鶇

17-04-2008 Po Toi

Author: kmatthew    Time: 17/04/2008 17:42

A great shot!! nice meeting you today Maison!!
Author: John Holmes    Time: 17/04/2008 17:58     Subject: Blue-winged Pitta ?

Hi Maison and Matthew,

Great picture, exciting bird !

Actually, due to the darker wings with blue patch, orange breast and lack of a buff supercilium, I think this may be Blue-winged Pitta.

A second HK record, I think.

Anyone out there got BOTH Blue-winged and Fairy Pitta on their HK lists ?

Me neither !

John Holmes.
Author: hgeorge    Time: 17/04/2008 18:07

for your reference
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=14&action=searchresult&Bird_ID=1308&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

great !!!
Author: kmatthew    Time: 17/04/2008 18:13

:shock: I saw 2 colours in the eye-browed (A light edge on the bottom & darker brown on top), so I thought it was a Fairy. But now looking at bird guides, the eye-brow on Fairy Pitta is even more distinct!! Wow...another surprise for me!!  

But does this mean the Pitta Geoff saw was this bird?? Or could this be a different bird?? Which will make 2 Pittas on Po Toi in 2 weeks??
Author: Tony    Time: 17/04/2008 20:14

OMG....I also thought it was a fairy pitta when I saw it in only two second,
I remembered that the bellied is much orange-brown than fairy pitta after I checked the book when I came back.
I agreed it is a blue-winged!

We can't find Geoff after we found this bird at around 12.
If that's really two pittas, it would be very nice!!!
Author: Tony    Time: 17/04/2008 20:18

forgot to thank Maison for letting me know the bird!!!
Otherwise, I can't see it! Thanks so much !
Author: kmatthew    Time: 17/04/2008 21:27

Indeed!! Thanks for Maison & Tony!! What a bird to see!!
Author: fmaison    Time: 17/04/2008 23:22

Wow! Really can't believe it!  But I agreed it is a Blue-winged Pitta!  Great news!

Thanks John for ID it! Thank you very much!

Matthew,  nice to meet you too!

Tony and Matthew, You're welcome!
Author: wgeoff    Time: 20/04/2008 13:46

Hi everyone.

Just back from Po Toi, a bit delayed because of yesterday's weather.

Great photo Maison and a great find. I saw this bird early on Friday morning, not in the school area but closer to the cafe. I thought at first it was a kingfisher, the blue on the back and the orange/red underneath are so bright. Nearly got a photo but it moved too fast and I lost it. But a spectacular bird.

This is definitely not the Pitta I saw the previous Thursday at the lighthouse. That bird was much duller with light buff underparts and darker upper wings, not as colourful as this bird. Also much less white on the wings than a Blue-winged Pitta and a bit smaller. I still think mine was a Fairy Pitta.
Author: lqunnjid    Time: 20/04/2008 23:43     Subject: Congratulation

What a wonderful treasure you have found.

:shock:

Congratulation Mason

QJ, Jasper
Author: kmatthew    Time: 20/04/2008 23:49

So 2 Pittas on Po Toi in a single week... :shock: that must be a first in HK!!
Author: wgeoff    Time: 1/05/2008 20:24     Subject: Re-sighting

I saw the Blue-winged Pitta again this afternoon at about 2.30pm, slightly further up the hillside from the last sighting which was nearly 2 weeks ago.

Apologies for the camera shake - maybe it was me.

This time it was just to the right of the 'Green Pigeon Path' about half-way up the hillside.

I must have passed this place more than 20 times since the last sighting. I guess it has a quiet spot somewhere to hide.
Author: cchristina    Time: 1/05/2008 20:49

Hi Geoff and Maison,

congratulation to get this fantastic bird!
Author: kmatthew    Time: 1/05/2008 21:20

It have been some times since this bird was last seen!! Great shot Geoff!! Any shot of this bird is an achievement!!
Author: gary    Time: 1/05/2008 23:41

[quote:4bffcccbf5="kmatthew"]It have been some times since this bird was last seen!! Great shot Geoff!! Any shot of this bird is an achievement!! [/quote]

A glance of this rare species is already an achievement for me!

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0