Thread
Print

Nam Sang Wai

Nam Sang Wai

Nam Sang Wai

Morning 28th December 2006

Digiscoped using Swarovski ATS 80HD scope, 30x eyepiece, DCA & Nikon 8400 camera

Bob Thompson

Attachment

DSCN7665xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

28/12/2006 12:46

DSCN7665xw.jpg

DSCN7559xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

DSCN7559xw.jpg

DSCN7341_2xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

DSCN7341_2xw.jpg

Nam Sang Wai

Morning 28th December 2006

Digiscoped using Swarovski ATS 80HD scope, 30x eyepiece, DCA & Nikon 8400 camera

Bob Thompson

Attachment

DSCN7682_2xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

28/12/2006 12:48

DSCN7682_2xw.jpg

DSCN7686xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

DSCN7686xw.jpg

DSCN7704xw.jpg (0 Bytes)

DSCN7704xw.jpg

Nice series of shots Bob.  Looks like you had good light. Neil.

My comment is really a technical question. The close up images are excellent - clean and sharp. The group image looks, on my monitor to be much grainier. I have the same problem with my own images - close ups taken this morning of an Olive-backed pipit look good, pictures of a more distant Purple heron looked very ordinary and I deleted them. I don't remember film images having such a differentiation but of course they were invariably viewed in printed format or through a loupe or projected if they were transparencies. Is it the digitalisation that makes the pictures look less than crisp and if they are printed does the image look as good as film used to?

I am about to take delivery of my slides from my ex-home in GB and would like to scan them - is it worth doing so? Is there a big quality loss. If it is worth doing, where in HK can I buy a good scanner? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew,

Although the light this morning was reasonable, the group shot of the Herons and BFS is just over 200 metres away (checked on google earth) and consequently there must be some build up of pollution particles.

Whereas the close up shot of the BFS was about 20 Feet away and the bird came closer but I ran out of focus ( minimum focus of the scope is 16.5 feet.)

Regarding the scanner I suggest you send KK Hui a personal message as I remember he used to have a Nikon scanner. Also remember that the pollution has become a lot worse of the past couple of years, your film images may have been taken in "the good old days"

Bob Thompson

Bob:
Excellent detail and a nice series! I particularly like the avocet couple with total reflection. Rather artistic I might add ...

Andrew:
A small amount of noise in digital image you see on your monitor would most likely not show up in prints. Excellent result from your slides can be obtained from a quality film scanner. For 35mm format I'd recommend a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED or Coolscan V ED (if on a budget). You can get it from Wing Sing Photo Supplies in Mongkok, 55 Sai Yeung Choi Street.
KK Hui FRPS
Personal Website

KK,

Thanks for the kind comments, I was going to post a shot on Naturescape but can't upload any photos to my US server because of the earthquake.

The Northern Pintail shot I was trying to put a little blue into the background but had trouble so I just left it as shot.

Bob

Final shot in the Nam Sang Wai series that was taken on the morning 28th Dec 2006, by digiscoping using a Swarovski ATS 80HD Scope, 30x eyepiece, DCA & Nikon 8400 camera

Bob Thompson

Attachment

DSCN7401_2.jpg (0 Bytes)

28/12/2006 21:05

DSCN7401_2.jpg

Thanks kk. I am of course always on a budget!!   :roll:

Thanks to you & Bob for the comments on the 'grain' effect.

I'd be interested to know how Bob is uploading as I can't at present.

Andrew,

All the above shots are uploaded directly to the HKBWS server, I can't access my normal US server. The HKBWS server will allow you to upload 3 photos with any posting.

This is one of the major improvements the new BBS has over the previous one

Bob

Thread