Thread
Print

Lam Tsuen - Spring 2010

Lam Tsuen - Spring 2010

After a winter with plenty of good birds Spring has arrived!

This morning I heard both Large Hawk Cuckoo and Lesser Coucal singing and at 5am this morning the large owl was giving its three note call.

Another sign of spring was the White-browed Laughingthrush coming into the grassland close to Ping Long

I also heard Savannah Nighjar last night for the fourth day in a row.

Cheers

Mike K
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

I should have gotten up earlier!  The Savannah Nightjar was still calling at 5.55am as was a barred owlet.  Barn swallows have started to accumulate as well, some are prospecting old nests in Pak Tin Kong.

Dylan

Does anyone know if the Chestnut-bellied Rock thrush is still around at Kadoorie?

Lam Tuen: Spring 2010

Ah, to the bulbul and to the sparrow, both of which are my favorites, Spring is *always* here. The bulbul shrieks and the sparrow chirps, as early as 6:30am in the morning, which kinda make your day.

Hi Dave,

The Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush was seen again yesterday in KFBG(3Mar10).

Hey

Thanks Hey

Twitched it this lunchtime!

Signs of passage at Lam Tsuen - three Red-rumped Swallows were flying around my house at Ping Long yesterday afternoon, and Large Hawk Cuckoo was calling first thing this morning.

There was also a Savanna Nightjar calling last night - its been around for a week now.

Winter visitors still around include 2 Siberian Stonechats, a female Daurian Redstart, a couple of Chinese Blackbirds, the small gang of Olive-backed Pipits and a Dusky Warbler.

Cheers

Mike

[ Last edited by kmike at 7/03/2010 06:36 ]

The Black Bulbul flock is still in residence at Tai Om Shan, and there were three Black-winged Cuckooshrikes in the big tree at the lower edge of the graveyard.

Cheers
Mike K

A female Grey Bushchat, a Daurian Redstart  and the Bull-headed Shrike were on the lower fields at Tai Yeung Che this morning, and Dylan had the Riverchat in the car park.

Cheers

Mike K

Another good patch bird today - an Oriental Pratincole was over the trashed land at about 1:45 The nearest a bird has come to Lam Tsuen is one seen from KARC a few years ago.

Other good birds included the flock of 25 Black Bulbuls still at Tai Om Shan, female Bull-headed Shrikes at Tai Yeung Che and the fields south of the She Shan Road, and a Common Rosefinch and Daurian Redstart at the same spot.

The Brown Wood Owl called again last night shortly after midnight and the Savanna Nightjar was going strong tonight

Cheers
Mike K

[ Last edited by kmike at 18/03/2010 23:44 ]

What is probably the last cold front of winter made for a very pleasant visit to the woods on the NE edge of the patch. An old army road winds up to a lovely patch of woods in a steep ravine which held a Red-flanked Bluetail, Pallas' Leaf, Yellow-browed and singing Mountain Bush Warblers.

There were also three or four thrushes , of which at least one was a first summer Grey-backed Thrush and a flock of Greater-necklaced Laughingthrushes were also of interest.

The Black-faced Buntings and Olive-backed Pipits remain and one of the Chinese Pond Herons was pretty close to full breeding plumage. After having the colony in the village obliterated by freak winds last year I very much hope they breed here again.

Cheers

Mike

The first day of the holiday when the fog lifted I headed up the valley to try my hand at digiscoping some of the forest birds and, after a long quiet  couple of hours, had nowt to show but dodgy pix of an Ashy Drongo and a Scarlet Minivet.

It was not until I headed down past the stream that I found a female Blue-and-white Flycatcher that was perched on a bamboo and reshuffling its feathers after a wash - my first flycatcher of the year in the valley.

On the way back down I jammed into a male Japanese Paradise Flycatcher at the bottom row of graves.  It flipped out to catch an insect and then showed very well for about an hour, and even allowed me to get a couple of shots. To add icing on the cake a male Narcissus Flycatcher appeared a couple of times in the same trees, and a few minutes later a Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike showed well and sang briefly.

The day before 5 White-shouldered Starlings were in the village both first thing in the morning and in the afternoon, and a White-cheeked Laughingthrush posed briefly on the edge of the veggie patch.

Cheers
Mike K

Attachment

DSCN1163 Japanese Para bf.jpg (148.85 KB)

6/04/2010 23:21

DSCN1163 Japanese Para bf.jpg

Mike

You're now truly qualified to join the society's 'firing squad'. See how well blended the beautiful
JPF with nature and yet standing out a perfect spring example of its kind.

S L Tai

Thanks Mr Tai!

Cheers

Mike

4/4 ~1200 noon

Black-naped Oriole

A Slaty-legged Crake was calling in Ping Long when I came home this evening.

Anyone else had one yet this year?

Cheers
Mike

Yes, heard here where I now live at Wong Chuk Shan San Tsuen/Mau Ping San Tsuen, Sai Kung about three evenings ago.

But not since...Chestnut-winged Cuckoos seem to have taken over in the meantime.

Mike Turnbull

Yesterday there were 2 Grey-streaked Flycatchers and 2 Chinese Goshawks ( a male and a female) around Ping Long/ Tai Om Shan. There was also a Chestnut-winged Cuckoo and a Hainan Blue Flycatcher, a Collared Crow - my first in Ping Long - and late Dusky Warbler.

Earlier in the week there was a Cattle Egret on Thursday morning.

Cheers
Mike

Attachment

DSCN1264 GS Flycatcher bf.jpg (67.69 KB)

2/05/2010 07:56

DSCN1264 GS Flycatcher bf.jpg

DSCN1310 W-r munia bf.jpg (105.57 KB)

2/05/2010 07:56

DSCN1310 W-r munia bf.jpg

Top bird today was a pristine male Eye-browed Thrush, which I eventually saw high up under the canopy above Tai Om Shan Village. Not a great view, but my first in Lam Tsuen for a while so it was a nice way to finish what has been a poor winter for thrushes.

The male Chinese Goshawk was still about, and  had 3 Crested Serpent Eagles in the air together, and saw Besra doing its plunging display flight on a good day for raptors - no surprising given the sunshine.

There was also a Dusky Warbler in the orchard next to my house, and two Chinese Starling flew past in the early morning.

However most memorable moment of the day was hearing a sliding behind me and watching a Chinese Cobra sliding away from about 18 inches behind me. Good job I didn't take a step back!  However it was my first for Lam Tsuen, so a patch tick!

Cheers

Mike

I have been very remiss in not posting on here, apologies.  A combination of work and family demands have badly eaten into the important things in life...

Small raptors seem to  be very obvious around Lam Tsuen at the moment, I have had more and better views of Besra in the last week than I have ever had before, as well as crested goshawk.  There have been display flights over the marshy areas around Pak Tin Kong and yesterday evening I saw one carrying a long legged bird, it then perched and started to pluck the prey.  It could possibly have been a crested mynah, the Besra was certainly having trouble flying with the heavy payload.

Also apparent are the first broods of birds.  Young tree sparrow, Sooty-headed bulbul, Crested Bulbul have been about.  I was very pleased to see an adult and two young kingfishers on the stream near my house this morning.

Slaty-legged crake, chestnut winged, plaintive and Large-hawk cuckoo are still calling around the marshy area and are competing with the frog chorus.

Dylan

I also had a Little Bunting yesterday morning.

Over the weekend I also found the nest of the White-rumped Munia and watched it pluck grass heads like the one in the photo above to form the structure of the nest.

Cheers
Mike

7 May 2010; 4.30 pm
Ha Tin Liu Ha   (marshy area)

Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, Asian brown flycatcher and at least three Dollarbirds (more birds flew behind a tree canopy so didn't see what they were)

Dylan

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 8/05/2010 12:19 ]

Today between Ping Long and She Shan

6 Dollarbirds
15 Cattle Egrets
1 Black Drongo
1 Oriental Turtle Dove
1 Richard's Pipit
1 Chestnut-winged Cuckoo (h)
3 Large Hawk Cuckoos - all seen!
1 falcon sp - Hobby most likely

+ 1 White-headed Munia (escape)

Cheers
Mike K

12 May 2010; 6.15 pm
Ha Tin Liu Ha   (marshy area)

Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo calling.  I'm yet to pin down the exact location- but it is somewhere in the forested area behind the three small villages that flank the marshy area.  Yesterday, it was more towards Ping Long.  The calls are intermittent- unlike the Large Hawk Cuckoo- still calling all night.  I've only heard Indian Cuckoo once this year in the valley; Plaintive Cuckoo, Koel, Greater and Lesser Coucal are still going strong.

Dylan

Thread