Thread
Print

Migration of waterfowl in E Asian Flyway & spatial relationship to H5N1

This is excellent. It seems to me that this provides HKBWS and WWF with further evidence that wild birds are not implicated in transmission of H5N1. Consequently, closing Mai Po NR serves no useful purpose.

I would urge the two organisations to get together and request Government to review this ridiculous measure, which has no basis in science.

We need to step up the pressure.

GeoffC

[ Last edited by cgeoff at 12/04/2010 21:39 ]

While March and April are, indeed, months of spring migration, Barn Swallow breeding activity in HK can begin as early as mid January in warm years. So, without having examined the bird, it is not possible to say whether it was on passage, or is a locally-breeding bird.

GeoffC

John is, of course, right to define the problem more clearly than I expressed. However, the paper referred to does go a long way to dispelling the notion that wild birds are the risk vectors for H5N1 as far as people are concerned.

What I find slightly frustrating is that the Society does not appear to be applying pressure on this issue.

Are we a pressure group (when needed), or just a friendly society (to borrow and rather outdated English expression)?

GeoffC

Thread