Thread
Print

Lung Fu Shan Autumn 2010

Today morning ~8:15am, interestingly, I saw a pied kingfisher was chased by 2-3 red-billed blue magpies and the kingfisher then flew toward the direction of Victoria Harbour.

A smart Asian Brown Flycatcher is back!=]

7-9-2010
11:00

Eastern Crowned Warbler
Asian Brown Flycatcher

Quote:
Original posted by brendank at 15/09/2010 10:31
15 Sep 2010--Po Shan Road

Best bird was a Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler.  Also there are at least 2 and maybe 3 Besra in the area.  Kept seeing a Besra everywhere I went.

The good birds from thi ...
A forest wagtail, arctic warbler and pale-legged leaf/sakhalin leaf warbler were still there today afternoon in the end of Po Shan Rd.

Quote:
Original posted by brendank at 15/09/2010 23:40
Good to know the Forest Wagtail is still around.  Guess it was hiding from me today morning.
As limited by my schedule, I could only go there after 11:00am. In the afternoon, there are not much birds could be found (by me only?). Would you mind telling me the time that you usually went to there? I wonder if the time was very important for birding at that site, thank you very much=]

Quote:
Original posted by brendank at 16/09/2010 20:53
I suspect Po Shan Road is a bit of a migrant trap.  Birds heading south stop when they hit the vast concrete jungle of Sai Wan/Sheng Wan/Central.  Furthermore, this location is much better in the fall ...
Thank you very much! Hope more species of bird could be seen later!

This is common to hear flowerpecker's call in the morning near the University Road. But I don't know if it/they are Scarlet-backed or Buff-bellied flowerpecker.

Nice to meet you again. Brendank.
the bird that I forgot its name was Asian Stubtail Warbler.
There were 2-3 Asian Stubtail Warbler today.
And a olive-backed pipit.

After you left, there is a olive-backed pipit and the suspected two-barred greenish warbler was there again. But I missed the Mugimaki......

May be I took some better photos of the warbler after you left, I may post it later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After P.S. Rd. I also went to Pik Shan Path today.
There were Rufous-tailed robin and Asian Subtail warbler again and a Japanese bush thrush

[ Last edited by fatchun at 12/11/2010 16:15 ]

some birds of today:

strange warblers:

In Pik Shan Path:

I think the "Blackbird" should be japanese bush thrush...
after seeing the photo

I would upload the warbler ID in another post. Thank you so much, and thanks Brendank=]

[ Last edited by fatchun at 12/11/2010 16:11 ]

Thanks koel and brendank.
In fact the first bird in my photos is the one that I saw with brendank, and the last two photos are the bird that I found later. They might be two different birds actually.
Structually, I also think that they are two different birds but share d some similarity.

There are some more photos in another post:
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=12579
All are appreciated to comment and welcome to discuss=]
the bird1 is the first bird in the about post, and the bird 2 is the last two bird in my reply.
( I hope I have not mix up the photos.....)

On 12-11-2010, there was a thrush spp. which was not a violet-whistleing and a common blackbird.
I suspected it was a grey-backed thrush, but I was not sure.
The ground must be more surprise =]

19-11-2010
Just an observation.
A white-bellied sea eagle glided over the HKU main campus today.
It glided with a low altitude and expelled by 5-10 black kites from their colony(probably)...poor WBSE...
But I have never seen a WBSE flying so close like that in HK island.

May be this is hard to do so...but try your best!!

In fact, I have never seen WBSE flying over/across LFS. But seems peter have seen it flying across The Peak (right?).

First time to see a chestnut bulbul in HKU near the main building. It probably comes from LFS.

Brendank, in the last year, I found 3 chestnut bulbuls around the LFS education center. I wonder if they were residents or migrants.
But it is a bit surprise that it flew so low even to the HKU campus.
In fact, I was attracted by its calling first, and than I tried to find it and seen it finally.

Nice Chestnut Bunting!
I saw 3 common buzzards gliding over HKU campus. They flew together with very high speed.

Thread