Thread
Print

[Eagles] Besra

Besra

26-8-2010 Shing Mun Reservoir

I seem to be seeing lots of Besras suddenly.  It seems to me from photos on the net that on Besra's P4-P6 are about equal length while on Japanese Sparrowhawk--from what I can see on photos on the net--P4 is long, P5 variable (sometimes as long as P4 but sometimes much shorter) and P6 is always short.  This photo shows the equal long primaries for P4-P6.

Brendan

I am not sure whether that is the Alula or not.  I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that it is was P1.  In any event, in the field this bird looked small.  Furthermore, I believe the talons looks quite small and thin and the undertail coverts quite non-distinct.  I don't think that you can see a crest in this picture or any other I took.  I will try to look later to see if any other pics of this bird showed the back of the head more clearly.

Brendan

I did get one picture of the back of this bird.  I don't see a crest.  But I will let everyone judge for themselves.

Brendan

Yes, I feel lucky to have two cooperative Besras to photograph in as many weeks.  This is a bird that I have hoping to photograph for a while but only could get quick glimpses of.  Perhaps young birds are less shy than adults.

Thread