Thread
Print

Sha Lo Tung 沙羅洞

Sha Lo Tung 沙羅洞

I went up to Sha Lo Tung yesterday hoping maybe for some bush warblers and buntings, but didn't do too well on those really!  Still, along the road going up to the site was pretty good for thrushes and I managed a few interesting species on the route to/around Hok Tau reservoir, though not a lot was seen on the walk down from the reservoir along th Hok Tau Road.

Species included:

Scaly Thrush - 3
Grey-Backed Thrush - 12
Pale Thrush - 2
Daurian Redstart - 3
Red-flanked Bluetail - 2 (m and f)
Black-naped Monarch - 2 (m and f)
Grey-headed Flycatcher - 2
Yellow-browed Warbler - 9
Pallas' Leaf Warbler - 3
Asian Stubtail Warbler  - 1
Olive-backed Pipit - 3
Hair-crested Drongo - 1
Fork-tailed Sunbird - 7
Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker - 2
Black-faced Bunting - 2
Crested Goshawk - 1

I didn't  spend enough time searching around the area of Sha Lo Tung to be honest, first time at the site so didn't  know how long the walk would take.  I only saw common species like Sooty-headed Bulbuls, Prinias, Common Tailorbirds and Large-billed Crows in this area, and I wish I'd had more of a dig around. Next time.

Did see a couple of HK Newts in one of the pools upstream of the reservoir though, which was nice.

Hok Tau

Grey Treepie & Bull-headed Shrike seen in the Green Farm beside Hok Tau Village yesterday afternoon.

David,

The best time for bush-warblers and other rare and interesting birds at SLT is November basically, in my opinion, + you need to be there very early (6am) on crisp clear mornings. Obviously you must have a chance at other times, but much reduced I think.

Actually I wonder if it's getting too overgrown now in the main grassland area. It really was brilliant for a couple of years in the mid-90s, after the villagers committed their act of "eco-terrorism" and bulldozered the grassland area.

It was a good idea to combine with Hok Tau, often very good at this time of year. Overall, not a bad list.

Actually, maybe it's well-known but the male Bull-headed Shrike is still at TPK, too.

Mike Turnbull

Thanks for the tips Mike.

Actually, I only decided to go there once I was on the train so didn't fully research the site. I see now from The Avifauna that November/early December would be the best time to go up there. Plus as you say, get up there early doors.  

It was still interesting to go up there, even though I didn't see a lot around SLT itself.  I also think I would have seen more if it wasn't for the incredibly noisy women hikers I kept encountering with their hundreds of dogs!  

Maybe this Saturday I'll go after the Bull-headed Shrike at TPK.

David

Thread