Thread
Print

Bay Woodpecker 黃咀栗啄木鳥

Bay Woodpecker 黃咀栗啄木鳥

The Bay Woodpecker was heard and briefly seen today (14/1/2007).

Tai Po Kou 大埔滘
05/1/2007
This image was taken by Mr. C O WONG on 5 Jan 2007

Fantastic!  

:shock:

At long last!

Could it have come to TPK by itself?  Never heard of anyone keeping a woodpecker.

I was at TPK first light this morning until 9.30am but there was no sign of the bird.

Yesterday I heard the bird call 5 times at about 1pm and although I stayed until dusk it was not heard or seen again.

Looks like it has moved on

HK Twitcher

for the full picture of the tree hole, like this...

Nice-looking tree! Where exactly is it?

dave

Dave

Go along the red walk and instead of crossing the river to the third picnic site carry along the blue walk the tree is about 50 yards along.

We viewed it from the otherside of the valley ie from the link between the red and blue walks.

HK Twitcher

Well done for getting the photo, but a question. Heading says 15th Jan but photo says 5th. Was photo taken today?

Strong vested interest - I need it for Hong Kong!

Mike Leven

The pic was taken on 5 Jan by Mr. Wong.

[quote:2ac74693e4="lmichael"]...., but a question. Heading says 15th Jan but photo says 5th. Was photo taken today?
[/quote]

The message was origianlly posted by Kwan in the thread "Tai Po Kau 2006 Autumn" on 14/1/2007 and subsequently moved by me to this new thread in the HK Bird Forums at the mid night of 15/1/2007. Therefore the date of the message has become as "15/1/2007".

The woodpecker was actually seen by Kwan on 14/1/2007.
The message has been amended by adding a date in it to clarify the date of the record.

To help avoiding any confusion to be happened again, please don't just using "today", "yesterday" & etc. without mentioning the date, e.g. 14/1/2007, in the message.

Cheers,

Forrest

Mr Wong, Congratulations on getting the shot.

Forrest, the EXIF details seem to show that the shot was modified in Photoshop 7 at 17 minutes past midnight on the 15th Jan. It would be interesting to see the original EXIF details then we could see the exact time of day the shot was taken and the lens used.

Bob

[quote:6cc9f3a66f="tbob"]It would be interesting to see the original EXIF details then we could see the exact time of day the shot was taken and the lens used.[/quote]
Hi Bob,

I agree with you that keeping the original EXIF details of the photo would allow us having more useful information about the bird record as well as the photoing technique.

The woodpecker photo was taken by Wong and posted by Kwan. I think the EXIF details was deteled/changed due to using an imcompatible program.  However, I always found that the EXIF details of some photos were deleted by their photographers purposely.

Regards,

Forrest

P.S. - Members can download and install the IE plugin "EXIF Show" to view photos' EXIF details.
http://www.exshow.net/eng/home.htm

Forrest,

I totally agree with you, I find looking at the EXIF data is a great learning tool.

For Mac users, the following is a freeware software

http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/index.html

Bob

Thread