Thread
Print

Red-headed Bunting at She Shan, Lam Tsuen

Red-headed Bunting at She Shan, Lam Tsuen

A male Red-headed Bunting (found by Mike Kilburn) is at She Shan this morning. Scope views suggest it's in very good condition. It was feeding by the side of a dusty track & perching up on wires this morning (27 Dec 2010).

Directions: Go down She Shan Road to the car-park in front of the village, then turn left along a concrete footpath (there are signs on the ground indicating the way to a special camphor tree). Follow the path around as it goes between the fields and the fung shui wood. Don't enter the fung shui wood and don't turn left at the yellow bridge, but continue skirting the fung shui wood until you reach a point where you suddenly have an open view. The bunting was beside the path about 50 metres beyond the point the concrete track turns into a dusty track. A further 50 metres on from this is a yellow Kato digger.

And before the expert photographers post their pix, here's one of the bird itself.  There was also a female Grey Bushchat, 4 Little Buntings, at least 2 Red-throated Flycatchers and several Bright-capped Cisticolas  nearby .

Cheers
Mike K

Attachment

DSCN3658 RH Bunting Lam Tsuen 1 bf.jpg (165.94 KB)

27/12/2010 13:47

DSCN3658 RH Bunting Lam Tsuen 1 bf.jpg

Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

The bird was still on site around 1.30pm- great find!

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 27/12/2010 14:13 ]

Nice one, thanks for getting the word out. I'm just glad I managed to get out and see it and not miss too much of the cricket! Lovely spot around there

[ Last edited by sdavid at 27/12/2010 14:33 ]

The Red-headed Bunting is now showing very well in the same location described by Richard.

Saw every ball of the cricket but not the bunting as my phone was off (schoolboy error!).

Many thanks to those who called me/left a message - sorry!

Bunting bagged + Ashes retained tomorrow!!

Mike Turnbull

Thank you Mike for great find this beautiful Bird.

Nice one Mike. Better than the cricket.

Is this two in a week?

Thank you Mike and my dearest friends

I am just an inexperienced birder/ birdwatcher/ twitcher/ photographer with no long lens.

Tks all!!

Brilliant find Mike and most thankful for your call!  
You are on top form no doubt about it.

Cheers
PWMK

Thank You Mike
http://e-info.org.tw/node/63403
http://nc.kl.edu.tw/bbs/showthread.php?t=39839
http://udn.com/NEWS/DOMESTIC/DOM4/6521734.shtml
D 報紙都冇解, 明明蟲友, 做咩叫龍友?

我就影左成十年多雀啦, 香港係近幾年至有D敗類, 放蟲, SET 景去影雀. 可惡!

Thank you Mike and PakWai

thx all !!

Delighted that so many got to see, and get some amazing photos of this fantastic bird.

Yes it has been pretty good period since the Smew showed up at Mai Po. As you can see I'm focusing on birds that are easy to identify!  But to get this on the patch was a fantastic late Christmas present.

From these pix its clear that the bird is in pristine plumage and there is no evidence whatever of cage damage in this adult winter male.

A request for those coming to see the bird over the next few days - please stay back and let the bird feed freely. It returned consistently to the same area throughout the day and gave wonderful views. THERE IS NO NEED TO CHASE AFTER THIS BIRD!

Cheers
Mike K
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

A bad record video, taken by a cheap digiscoping set that was set up in a hurry..
though it was a stunning bird as a great X'mas/New year present!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9CMQisYQwg

Thanks mike for finding the bird and leading us to it!

Wow !!! Super Find

Still present today (Tues 28th), mostly feeding quite unobtrusively in the low grassy stuff on the flat bank top 10 m or so off the track on the left, about 30m back towards She Shan from the Kato digger machine.

Great bird - planet Earth tick for two experienced old birders today!

Mike Turnbull.

"experienced old birders" ................... hummm can't be me your talking about

The bird was still there at 3.00pm today 28.12.10.

I saw the bird from approximately 100m and did not go to join the photographers currently there who are not following Mike's advice.  They are standing in the middle of the area it was feeding in yesterday and despite it perching within five metres of them, are pushing forward- at which point it flies.  I would ask again that photographers are patient and give the bird space to feed.  It will approach closely of its own accord.

Dylan

Having missed this message on Mon. and not possible to have a visit until Sat., could anyone have visited the bird in coming days kindly update the sighting until weekend? (just presence or absence would be good enough)
Many thanks.

Gary

no show today until now...

Thanks all~~ Glad to see it!!

Two experienced and old birders

Mike and Graham

By two experienced birders it means you both and the old one could only me! Totally three.

S L Tai

wah....I still didn't see, hope to squeeze some time tomorrow morning!
Tony Hung

Thread