Thread
Print

[Owls] Collared Scops Owl

Collared Scops Owl

17 May 2011 - HKU main campus

After hearing this bird nightly for more than a year finally got to see it. Was seen perched right next to buildings and busy pedestrian path.  It paid no attention to any of the passersby.

I want it so much........

Lung Fu Shan and HKU campus is good location for them.  I hear one or two birds call almost every night but not so easy to see.

Dear Brendan : It was a good found and great picture. Just wonder is it ok to use a spot or flash light on owl? Heard some experience birder said that is no good. You know, I live nearby and would like to see this owl. I am a new birder and would like to clarify. Thanks a lot. Brendan.

Most cameras today take good shots at high ISO, so with high ISO and a tripod you maybe OK.

As to using a flash, it has been discussed here before and I cant remember the final decision.

Illumination was provided was provided by torch light--torch beam was placed off center.  I think occasional (emphasize occasional) use of torch light on owls is not harmful. This bird is already residing in an area with lots of street and building lights.

Thanks Bob & Brendan.

Nice
I am just an inexperienced birder/ birdwatcher/ twitcher/ photographer with no long lens.

A very good find !

Thread