Thread
Print

RFI: Grassbird and Upland Pipit

RFI: Grassbird and Upland Pipit

An overseas birder, Mikael Bauer from Sweden, is visiting HK during this week and would like to look for Rufous-rumped (Chinese) Grassbird (aka Large Grass Warbler) and Upland Pipit. He'll be looking for them at Tai Mo Shan so if anyone could send me recent information on sightings of these species at that site, with specific locations, via PM, I'll be able to pass them onto Mikael. I'd also be interested in news of sightings on Lantau for another birder, Anders Brenkman from the Netherlands, who's also visiting shortly.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike Turnbull

Hi Mike T,
Upland Pipit should be an easy "tick" on both Lantau Peak and Sunset Peak (however, the hike up there's another story!)
I haven't been up to either this spring, but I've had up to 8 singing birds in a day on - and on the slopes of - Sunset Peak.
I've only had a probable Large Grass Warbler (on Sunset Peak as well) that I couldn't relocate, but I'm pretty sure they're up there. But don't know of any recent sightings. Had plans to go up there and investigate this spring, but there just hasn't been time! That's a full day trip although the cable car to Ngong Ping can take care of half the uphill hike to Lantau Peak.
Good luck to our visiting birders!
Morten

Hi Mike,

There are always Upland Pipits seen by me between 50-100m below the peak of Grassy Hill on the path down towards the Fo Tan side (maybe an easier hike than TMS). Hope that helps.

Ken

Thread