Thread
Print

South Lantau - autumn 2011

South Lantau - autumn 2011

Lantau Trail Stage 11 (Tung Chung Road - Pui O)
1-9-2011

Following observations from the first section of this walk along the catchment channel:

Eurasian Hoopoe - 1
Asian Paradise-Flycatcher - 1
Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler - 1
Dark-sided Flycatcher - 1
Yellow-rumped Flycatcher - 1

Pui O:

Black-winged Stilt - 1

David
www.hknaturewalks.com

September 2, 2011
Lantau Trail Stage 10 (Tung Chung Road - Shui Hau)

Arctic Warbler sp. - 2
Eastern Crowned Warbler - 1

plus a Chinese Cobra that I nearly trod on!

Shui Hau

Common Sandpiper - 5
Greater Sand Plover - 2
Lesser Sand Plover - 2
Ruddy Turnstone - 2
Terek Sandpiper - 1
Sanderling - 1

David

[ Last edited by ddavid at 2/09/2011 17:49 ]

nature walks

Dear David

It's nice of you to create such a nice site to share with us.

By the way, could you kindly tell us whereabout is the starting point of the trail from Tung Chung to
Pui O? How long did take you to complete your trip while birding?

Thanks in anticipation.

S L Tai

Tai -

Stage 11 of the Lantau Trail begins at Tung Chung Rd - grid reference 047624. Take any New Lantao bus (11, 23, 3M) that goes along Tung Chung Road from Tung Chung to the south of the island. The bus climbs slowly uphill out of Tung Chung and then descends to the South Lantau Road. There is only one stop on the downhill stretch so you can ring the bell on the bus once you're over the crest of the hill. From just ahead of the bus stop, take the steps down to the San Shek Wan catchment and then turn right along the drainage channel for Stage 11 (left for Stage 10 in reverse to Shui Hau - but this is long and not too productive for birds, so not really recommended!)

It's well signposted and pretty straightforward to Pui O, which is about 2.5 km from the start of the walk. The first 1.3 kms is along the catchment channel; the rest is downhill thru shrubland along a dirt trail. The birds I saw were all along the catchment which is quite well-wooded.

Bus timetables can be found at http://www.newlantaobus.com/nlb.html

Cheers,

David

Stage 11 trail to Pui O

Dear David

Really a big 'Thank You' for you detailed guidance. So whenever I visit Pui O, I could get off earlier and walk down to Pui O, giving me a greater chance of seeing birds.

Cheers

S L Tai

Thread