Thread
Print

[Eagles] Special Experience with Raptors

Special Experience with Raptors

Got a very special experience yesterday in Mai Po that I want to share with others. I am not good in identifying raptors, so pls correct me if my identification is wrong.

In the bird hide #8 yesterday afternoon (8Dec ~3pm), everything happened suddenly. I saw all ducks flew at once. After I took several photos of the flying ducks, I was curious on why they don't just land again but circling the areas for more than 2 times? Then it came to my mind that in this forum, someone mentioned that such case happens when there is a raptor around. I searched for a while and found the eagle (Eastern Marsh Harrier?). In a hurry, I took photos of it. I noticed it caught something and descended behind the trees, so I took a closer look into the photo. Surprisingly, I found it caught a Great Cormorant! Most photos are not in good focus, only the first one below is better.

Then after less than 5 mins, it came back empty handed (2nd photo). I can't tell if it is the same bird, I just guess it is. In a few more minutes, his friend (or competitor?) came. I guess it is a Greater Spotted Eagle. They flew around the area for awhile, then left.

I got a few questions about this experience:
- is my identification correct?
- is it common for raptors to catch a big bird like Great Cormorant?
- how a raptor catch such a big bird? I barely saw in a few photos before the first attached one that before the prey was on its claws, there was a moment the eagle was like using its beak to catch it. But it was the back that faced me, so I can't be sure. Is it possible to catch it this way?

I believe I need to spend more time to know their usual behavior, but I really think it is a very special experience to watch such happening!

Pls comment and correct me if I got anything wrong. Thanks!

Attachment

IMG_3130.jpg (79.56 KB)

9/12/2012 23:57

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg (58.43 KB)

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg (43.43 KB)

IMG_3187.jpg

Thanks all for your comment.

It happened too quickly that I can't be sure myself. After taking the photos, I saw by eyesight that the eagle carried something big (but not sure if so big as Cormorant or not) and descended behind the trees.

Anyway, that moment was passed. I just know that watching raptors flying and preying is really enjoyable!

Thread