Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] Illegal Fishnets Removed From Deep Bay : 15th March 2007 清除后海灣的非法捕鳥

Illegal Fishnets Removed From Deep Bay : 15th March 2007 清除后海灣的非法捕鳥

Yesterday, AFCD staff and WWF Mai Po staff carried out a fishnet removal operation on the Inner Deep Bay mudflats. One hundred metres of net was removed in the morning and a further 600 metres removed between 18:00 - 21:00. The operation followed a tip off from a local birdwatcher in the floating hides concerning the illegal nets.

AFCD informed WWF that operations would be "stepped up" in the coming months which, from previous experience, are the peak illegal activities periods.

Please note that when illegal cross boundary fishermen from Shenzhen are seen on mudflat, the public should report directly to the Police (call 999 and report "illegal border crossers").

WWF Mai Po Office

I have try call before . but Police come 70 min later ,  illegal cross boundary fishermen already gone  :shock:

I saw four of the fishermen out there last Friday afternoon.  I did dial the numbers shown in the hide for the Police and AFCD, however I just ended up with a recorded message for both advising me that the number I had dialled was not recognised. Perhaps my mobile had switched over to a Chinese Company?

Still the guy came out on the hovercraft anyway, but only really a token effort was made to actually catch the fisherman, as they all disappeared into the Mangrove.  To be honest, I don't know what he'd actually do if he caught a fisherman anyway - I was quite looking forward to watching a bit of a scuffle on the mud!

Thread