Thread
Print

Flash Photography

There are people who believe that using flash is wrong under any circumstances and there are responsible photographers who think and assess the situation and come to a (hopefully) sensible decision. You seem to be in the latter category. But be prepared for the flame-throwers.

Quote:
Original posted by hmartin at 18/02/2013 21:16
Wilson

The use of flash in Hong Kong is a rather emotive subject and is generally frowned upon, in that it is felt by some/many to cause unnecessary disturbance. As someone who has used flash sparing ...
If there were a Like button for the forum I'd use it. Knitting is very therapeutic, I'm told. The Arthur Morris Better Beamer Knitting Machine comes highly recommended.

Quote:
Original posted by Ronaldo at 2/03/2013 07:37
now obviously, if we talk about one person using a flash once on a bird or a person, I don't think it can cause any issues. I doubt however that it is the case when you have twenty photographers takin ...
I'm struggling to see in the thread above where anybody suggested 20 people simultaneously blitzing a bird with flash so why do you exaggerate in this way? And in my experience birds habituated themselves to modest noise relatively quickly but are much more easily spooked by sudden movement. One pro I know uses a clicker counter to simulate the sound of a camera shutter. As the bird approaches but is still out of photographic range he starts to click so the bird just hears it as ambient noise. When the bird is closer the sound of the shutter replaces the clicker and the bird is not disturbed. Comparing sensible use of flash to hordes of rampaging birders ( see, I can exaggerate too) is nonsensical.

Thread