Thread
Print

Nam Sang Wai, Autumn 2013

Nam Sang Wai, Autumn 2013

Hot afternoon

Black Kite 4
Grey Heron 30 (The area may contain more than 30 birds)

Marsh Sandpiper 20 (a flock of 20 was seen, but could be more than that)
Common Sandpiper 5 (could have missed a lot on the opposite bank)
Greater Sand Plover 2

Grey Heron

Common Sandpiper

Greater Sand Plover

Please kindly advise how to get to this part of Nam Sang Wai.  Many thank in advance

Quote:
Original posted by rolandlin at 12/11/2013 20:59
Please kindly advise how to get to this part of Nam Sang Wai.  Many thank in advance
i normally take a taxi from Yuen Long Station .. about 30HKD
Wilson Dring
https://www.facebook.com/wilsondringphotography/

Hi Wilson,
Where do I tell the taxi driver take me to?  I have been Nam Sang Wai for taking photos of sunset and I didn't see any birds around.  I walked a long way from Yuen Long Station, exit G2.  When I get there, I need to take a small boat crossing the river.  Are we talking about the same place or a different part of Nam Sang Wai?

My 'driving instructions' to friends trying to find NSW. Coming from Sai Kung.

Nam Sang Wai is easy to find if you know where it is and hard to find if you don't. Drive North up the Tolo Highway and exit at Junction 11 of Route 9, signposted Fairview Park. Take the 2nd exit of the roundabout and keep driving until you come to another roundabout. It is quite a long way, and you need to avoid the road going up the flyover. When you get to the 2nd roundabout you go all the way around and loop back the way you came but on the other carriageway obviously. Dangerous otherwise ;-)

NSW is the first exit on the left and is signposted.

When you turn off at the correct junction you need to work your way right along the river. It is a very long road and the drive to the bird photography site is about 5 minutes down the road and is marked, conveniently, by what is I think a blue portaloo thingy. You can pull in there. Lots of parking space. People photograph from the wall or climb over and shoot from the slipway.

The usual location is at the northern tip of Nam Sang Wai Road, where Kam Tin River merges with San Pui River.  But you may also try the western arm of Nam Sang Wai Road.  Walking from Yuen Long Station is quite a long distance and you may try cycling - the kaito ferry also takes bicycles.
If you drive your own car, be aware that almost the whole of Nam Sang Wai Road is a single-lane road serving both directions, and there are passing bays provided at intermdeiate locations along the road to avoid blockage due to vehicles travelling in opposite directions.  However, when the passing bay is occupied by illegal parking, it is not unusual to see a vehicle reversing several hundred metres to the next available passing bay.  There are NO legal parking bays provided along Nam Sang Wai Road, and the passing bays are not intended for parking.

[ Last edited by irsychan at 13/11/2013 18:05 ]

Thank you so much for all your information

Thread