Thread
Print

Shing Mun/Lead Mine Pass in Autumn, 2014

Shing Mun/Lead Mine Pass in Autumn, 2014

18th August, 2014 (Monday) Hot reaching 32 degrees Celsius with light south-westerly wind

Opening an autumn account

Single migrant enough satisfaction as a starter

Information from various sources points out the fact that early migrants have already started passing Hong Kong. Naturally for a keen birder like me I made a response by opening my autumn account - going to my favourite place for birdwatching.

The catchment area around the road barrier was quiet. It was when I reached Picnic Site No. 8 on the pass that I encountered an undersized birdwave of Velvet-fronted Nuthatches, Scarlet minivets and Blue-winged minlas, plus a male Hainan blue flycatcher. It was then that I heard a bird flying out to the roadside woods, single-note calls not much unlike that of a thrush. A bird with dull orange underbody, brown upperbody with a dull face cut slantwise across the earcoverts with a long dark bar, all pointing towards it being a juvenile Orange-headed thrush, probably a young male.

I reached the pass top untired but finding the place not worth of a stay for birds.

It was a delight to see a quite approachable Violet whistling thrush to end my day's list of nineteen.

S L Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 18/11/2014 19:15 ]

Dear all

First of all thanks for Mike's reply.

Furthermore, I have changed the subtitle after reflection on the situation I found the thrush. It was unaccompanied with either adults or fellow young ones. Juveniles are found to migrate and it's already approaching September. From Avifauna of HK,there's a single record of the same period occurrence. Therefore I venture out to put forth the idea that it's a migrant.

S L Tai

25th August, 2014

Weather remains top hot up to 33 degrees Celsius, moderate south-easterly wind

Greater taste of autumn's delights
First encounters of flycatchers and warblers on migration

Migration for forest birds seem triggered by time above all other factors. Some birds seem to span over a month or more, and flycatchers are good examples.

My morning's first Asian paradise flycatcher was seen when I was at Picnic Site 6 just before the public toilet. It was in the company of some fifteen or more Grey-throated minivets, but it took me some time after fairly thorough search of one side of the road that I found it on the other side nearer to the reservoir. It was in the middle of the whole lot that I found my first Eastern crowned warbler of the autumn.

Picnic site 8 was near empty of birds and it was when I approached site 9 that I found another bird wave, among local ones another Asian paradise flycatcher, with a pair of Hainan blue flycatchers nearby.

I was hesitant as whether I should walk up to the top, for it was already well past ten. My will to go on prevailed. It was just a hundred paces short of the public toilet that I found a variety of babblers, among them a Streaked breasted scimitar babbler offering a brief but full sight. It was then that I found my third Asian paradise flycatcher, the bird probably an adult male, back darker than the other two.

An interesting bush warbler still moulding heavily offered me some moment of doubt whether it was a juvenile Mountain bush, as it was the only place of the pass that I had seen some adults of its kind several years before. Any it was here on the opposite side of the road that I first heard a Pygmy wren babbler all the way.

It was a delight that I found a Pekin robin - more known as Red-billed leiothrix - when I went down back to the reservoir, near enough without need of my binoculars, increasing my list total to twenty-two.

S L Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 26/08/2014 21:51 ]

Dear Geoff

Surely the Asian paradise flycatchers are earlier. I went to check after I've seen a photo of one bird taken at M.P. on Sunday.

By the way, the P.F. of both kinds seem to favour SM/LMP in autumn.

Cheers

Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 26/08/2014 21:59 ]

Really good record for the area.

S L Tai

The First Half of September, 2014
An amalgamation of three mornings' reports (1st, 9th and 12th)

The first two of the three mornings were both hot and sunny, last one being cloudy and rainy and still uncomfortably high in temperature.

Both Hainan blue and Asian paradise flycatchers were present on all occasions; three, one and one (heard only) for the former in sequence of dates, and two, two and one for the latter.

The bird waves in generally appeared high near tree canopy making observable view of phylloscopic warblers impossible and consequently none recorded.

The totally number of species of birds seen or heard remained low below twenty for all days.

S L Tai

18th September, 2014 (Thursday)

Another day of little migrant variety

It was a low-ebb morning for September. I failed to locate a Grey wagtail, as one good candidate just flew high over the catchment but didn't land for water level still no good for wading and feeding.

I returned when I reached P.S.9 but when I was at P.S.8 there was more kinds of local birds including uncommon ones like a White-bellied erponis and a hunting Crested goshawk overlooking in small circles the mixed flock of birds foraging below. It was a good exercise to follow an Eastern crowned leaf warbler among other birds by past experience of its behavior and shape and size. It was one of the most elegant in purity of coloration among leaf warblers.

It was found that Hainan blue flycatchers seemed to have all gone, none seen or heard all the way.

S L Tai

Dear Jim

Familiarity breeds contempt. As the saying goes, we have part of our nature to see variety. And only a few if any at all who would find contentment in seeing Eurasian sparrows every day.

Having said that for birders who, as years go by, are interested in, besides meeting uncommon or even rarities, numbers, dates of arrival and departure of birds. Birds common at Mai Po like Common kingfishers are uncommon in SM/LMP area, even rare to find a White-breasted there.

Behaviour and breeding records are also interesting for me. Peculiar plumage for identification of individuals are intriguing as well.

Bird calls vary according to seasons, like the ones of Yellow cheeked tits. A challenge to you. Can you distinguish Streaked scimitar babblers' with Rufous-cappeds' or Silver-eared mesias', or Grey-cheeked fulvettas'? For me, sometimes it's easy but often not so. Concentration and drills before memory fades are key issues.

By the way, can you recognize a gray wagtail nearby by its call alone? I means to differentiate it from a White wagtail's?

S L Tai

Dear Jim

Sorry. I mean Streaked -breasted scimitar babbler.

Tai

Another summary of two mornings' reports, 22nd (Mon) and 26th (Fri) of September, 2104

Part 1 Morning of 22nd
The two Grey wagtails at the catchment area before the barrier looked disliking the water level on the canal, just flying along above it but not landing to feed.

An Asian paradise flycatcher, an Eastern crowned and an Arctic leaf warblers were seen, the last being my first of the autumn around, little change of variety for the better. A Pale-legged/Sakhalin leaf warbler and a Common kingfisher were heard.

The Crested goshawk was seen again, this time being harassed by one local Jungle crow. A single Crested serpent eagle was heard.

A need seemed necessary to come later in the week.

Part 2 Morning of 26th

The road barrier and catchment that runs before it was again fairly quiet except one of the two Grey wagtails seen previously was seen feeding on dead grass accumulated above the flowing water and the other just flying by.

My morning list did not exceed a dozen even I made a diversion to the Fung Shui Woods and the wide reservoir coast beyond Pun Hang Pavilion, rewarded just by my first lot of White wagtails of three or more.

A little beyond P. S. Site 9 I met a birdwave producing just an Eastern crowned leaf warbler as a migrant and I returned. P.S. Site 8 was quite noisy with Mountain and Chestnut bulbuls and Blue-wing minlas. I stayed to do some sedentary birdwatching by sitting on a concrete slab type of bench. Soon I focused on a bird which was an Orange-headed thrush which flew up on a bough low-storey high, a second time seen since late August, possibly the same bird but plumage more defined with two dark bars on face and white patch on the shoulder. I remained seated for nearly twenty minutes, meanwhile finding a first of the autumn Black-winged cuckoo shrike. Two Pale-legged/Sakhalin warblers were heard all the way.

It was interesting to hear and see a Crested serpent eagle flying higher than five Black kites when there was sky open and wide enough for observation.

S L Tai

Comfortable Birdwatching Climate Begins
Continual North/North-easterly winds brings down hotness to bearable level

Dual Morning Report of 3rd & 6th October, 2014
Part one: 3rd Oct (Fri)

I am used to recording what time it needs to record the first ten species, heard or seen. The criterion helps me predict how I would fare for each occasion.

The first ten finished at eight forty-five, a definitely below average time record. I met Mr Hui, a local AFCD official-cum-birdwatcher, who told me he found two uncalling Ashy drongos. I took his hint when I strolled along the section of the catchment before the road barrier. I saw none but heard one with its silhouette moving quickly out of sight.

The morning would have ended most uneventful had I not wanted to check if the Ashy drongo remained near the road barrier. Before I went past the barrier I met a birdwave consisting mainly of bulbuls and Blue-winged minlas. I took priority of checking the Ashy drongo and failing to see it, I paced quickly back to deal with the bulbul birdwave. An Asian paradise flycatcher was soon found, a late passing bird in early October, and further searching yielded me a Black-winged cuckoo shrike, my second of the autumn.

Part 2: 6th October (Mon)

I found my Ashy drongo, prominent white face patch around eye, on the leaf-bare tree on the lawn before the road barrier, a sure sight if one would be there around seven fifteen before it flies away to the upper thicker wooded area. It was my ninth bird of the morning, the third being a Yellow-browed leaf warbler heard.

I met my first local Asian brown flycatcher of the autumn in a birdwave, and a second one in another, together with an Eastern crowned leaf warbler. The Picnic Site No. 8 was almost totally quiet but when I reached No. 9 I was surprised when I flushed up an Orange-headed thrush which was feeding on the roadside. A few moments later it flew down the slope on the right when an AFCD patrol car approached, a not unusual local happening. I stayed there trying to locate a calling Orange-bellied leafbird the kind of which had become uncommon in the past several years. The bird stayed stationary and when it flew out of sight I left.

S L Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 11/10/2014 18:39 ]

10th October, 2104 (Friday)

Warm and comfortable weather for birdwatching continues
A trio of migratory birds adds colour to the autumn scene

Without wind the weather looked good for birdig, sunny for the first two hours but becoming cloudy towards noon which reached about thirty degrees Celsius.

It was at the second Butterfly Garden on the roadside that I met a mixed flocks of babblers, with a Japanese paradise flycatcher among them, my first of the autumn, hopefully not the last one (chance slim from the species statistics of Avifauna of HK). When the whole lot moved out of sight towards my far right up the slope I heard an Asian brown flycatcher and guided by its calls it's not difficult to locate it.

The Asian paradise flycatcher of the morning was found again among babblers between Picnic Sites 8 and 9.  Among local minlas and Grey-throated minivets one Black-winged cuckoo shrike and two Ashy drongos were seen.

The proverb 'Make hay while the sun shines' holds good for looking out for migration of forest birds in October while the wind blows from North to North-easterly directions. I will certainly continue to follow the advice.

S L Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 11/10/2014 19:17 ]

Second half of October, 2014
Three mornings: 13th (Monday), 20th (Monday) and 28th (Tuesday)

13th of October
A Poor Morning
As predicted by Geoff from his Po Toi surveys, mid-October would be fairly quiet. It certainly turned out to be accurate for my area.
Only two wintering Ashy drongos were noted, the local Collared crow continued to stay and the total number of species recorded was a poor fifteen.

20th of October  
Little improvement from last

Though the number of species recorded improved to twenty, there had yet to be migrants or new wintering arrivals, with just one Ashy drongo heard.

28th of October
It pays to be persistent

Misgivings of the morning's reward crept in my mind when I finished my catchment round before the road barrier, with barely five species recorded. However, things turned for the better when I approached Picnic site 5. A flock of noisy babblers flying high quick in movement and in close formation appeared. Some thirty or more of them were soon found to be Striated yuhinas, a week before the earliest arrival in mass found by Avifauna of Hong Kong. An Ashy drongo was seen near the bottom of the long slope, as usual on a bare tree, with one more heard further on. The fifteen bird was my first local full view of a calling Pygmy wren babbler.

I was wondering if the Asian brown flycatcher seen along the Reservoir Walk among Grey-throated minivets was the last of all worth mentioning here when I met a sizeable bird wave between Picnic sites 8 and 9 on the Pass. First, I had an easy full view of a Mountain tailorbird which was only heard on most occasions. Then there was a Black-winged cuckoo shrike, followed in quick succession by two Verditer flycathcers, one clearly an adult male and the other a female for her dusky lore. The best local bird was a White-bellied erponis.

It was also noteworthy to say my morning's list reached thirty.

S  L Tai

Note: I've changed the first winter male of Verditer to be a female, with reason followed. Thanks.

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 29/10/2014 19:20 ]

04th November, 2014
N-North-easterly wind, quite cool and overcast

The Second Lot of Winter Visitors
Evidence of Arrivals in Time Sequence

Winter visitors follow a broad sequential pattern of arrival. The first lot were the Ashy drongos and Black-winged cuckoo shrikes, and Verditer flycatchers about a week later.

I encountered my first and probably the last of the season of a Dark-sided flycatcher when I walked on the first half of the catchment before the Road Barrier (R.B.). Perching on the top of a wire fence that ran along the AFCD staff quarters, it created in me a de-ja vu feeling - dating back in years from Lead Mine Pass and Kadoorie Farm and Botanical Garden. As before, the new arrival was hungrily making feeding sallies low and just above the fence, disregard of my presence. The adult bird flew up and disappeared, perhaps of my presence just metres away.

Little egrets had arrived taking up their feeding stations, with two totally seen. Going back in time, an Ashy drongo was seen on the bare part of the big Taiwan Shansee tree before the R.B. Even earlier was a Long-tailed shrike quietly perching prominently low on a bough along the steps leading up from Pineapple Dam.

The sudden drop of temperature had disturbed the morning activities of local birds. Most of them foraged in single or a-few-species flocks. It was when I finished seeing the four Yellow-cheeked tits that I saw a Verditer flycatcher. Grey-throated minivets of about twenty flew high without their usual winter company of a Black-winged cuckoo shrike. It was nearly everywhere that Asian stubtails were heard of whom I recorded five. At least one Blackbird was clearly heard when I walked  near Picnic Site 6. Later, I went to P.S.11 in search of the species but in stead I found two migrating Yellow wagtails.

With the number of winter visitors on the increase my morning list changed to thirty-three from thirty of last visit.

S L Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 6/11/2014 19:58 ]

Dear all

Thanks to all recent postings of news and bird photos here. They help me to be more aware of other spots which lies outside my survey route and overall make this thread more interesting. Moreover, it helps Geoff the Records Committee secretary to tally up bird records.

S L Tai

11th November, 2014
Cool, overcast and Easterly wind and became changed from around twenty-three to twenty-six degrees Celsius towards mid-day.

Migration and Wintering Settlements Continue
Overall bird scene stays attractive  

At seven-twelve two Black kites were circling above the far side of Apple Dam, as in the past this time of the year. The Long-tailed shrike perched more discernibly, and plunged towards ground, obviously caught its victim and stayed on the ground which had been cut short of its grass and short plants. Right habitat for the right types; a rule once again seen confirmed.

Before the R.B. the Taiwan Shan See was again good. Five species of birds, locals as well winter regulars were present; one Yellow-cheeked tit, four Gray-throated minivets, one Velvet-fronted nuthatch of the former and an Ashy drongo and a Verditer flycatcher were seen together. The Ashy drongo showed its aggressiveness and ringleader's right by uttering threateningly when it found other birds too near its branch tip, returning with a winged insect on its beak. All others complied and readjusted their perching positions.

A Little egret was seen on the right of the catchment outlet to the reservoir, watchful for fish but had to move out when local human anglers came later. Another was found on a rivulet outlet beyond P.S. 12. All usual early morning sights.

Yet again no sizeable birdwave. But species count increased steadily the whole time. It was at the beginning part of Lead Mine Pass that a female Blue and white flycatcher provided me with a clear sideway view, a mere duration of several seconds, my sixth flycatcher species of the autumn. Asian stubtails remained elusive with one affording me a brief glimpse of its head and brow while continued to utter calls.

The same lot of about thirty-five Striated yuhinas were seen again but individual sighting was not easy.

The morning survey again tallied at thirty-three as last time, helped possible by being able to see the breast-mark of a male Buffed-bellied flowerpecker as my last species of the day.

S L Tai

17th November, 2014 (Monday)
North to North-easterly wind, cool from sixteen to hot for long trousers at twenty-six towards noon, sunny all the time

Preoccupation empties mind of worldly troubles
Busy bird activities bring local watching to new height of the season

I missed the six-thirty bus resulting in five minutes late at Pineapple Dam, causing me probably not seeing the Long-tailed shrike, the Ashy drongo and Verditer flycatcher at their morning spots. But matters turned out unexpectedly well for everything else.

After seeing the Little egret at the catchment outlet, I found the sixth species to be an Asian brown flycatcher, and the seventh to be my second Dark-sided flycatcher of the season, an adult bird.

The other part of the catchment was fairly quiet but I found two Ashy drongos a short way beyond the first butterfly garden and a female Verditer flycatcher among some local birds, together with my first good view of a Pallas's leaf warbler of the autumn. Three different flycatchers already, breaking all the season's records of seeing at most two species in a morning. Along the Reservoir Walk I met the lot of more than twenty-five Brown-collared (formerly called Striated)yuhinas again.

Birds as regards species increased slowly and produced scarcely surprise all the way up to Picnic Sites 8 and 9 and the return way.

Matters took for a twist before I walked on the footbridge across the Tai Shing Waterfall stream. Among a mixed flock of birds I found my first autumn Grey-headed flycatcher, whose calls gradually changed to its usual four-note type but still not loud enough. Enjoyment reached a new height when I got a glimpse of an awesome male Verditer flycatcher. Were they all for me to see? The answer was pleasantly negated when I got a frontal view of a tiny Black-throated tit, evidently a seasonal newcomer to the site.

Should I call it a day at eleven thirty? A quick mental search of my morning list told me that I still need some good warblers. I stayed and stood and kept my binoculars busy. My reward finally came in the form  of a Goodson's leaf warbler, and a second one in plumage that fitted the former name of Blyth's which looked for worms and insects' eggs on trunk and thick boughs, a helpful behavioural guide for identification.

My thirty-eighth and last species was some twenty or more Grey-throated minivets at around one o'clock, missing for sight enjoyment until then.

S L Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 18/11/2014 19:21 ]

C W,

A lot of thanks for your quick and generous response.

I was there this morning (19th Nov.), and I found three Mugimakis!

S L Tai

19th November (Wed), 2014
North-easterly brings coolness to the area down to 16 degrees Celsius, but up soon to about 25.

Good guess of whereabouts of a flycatcher fully rewarded with lots of others
Twelve flycatchers of seven kinds  

It was determination to seek out whether that the same tree that becomes full-blown in ripe red small berries could attract Mugimaki flycatchers to land, feed and stay around for three consecutive years that I made an exception to go to the area again after Monday. My zeal brimmed with rewards in the form of flycatchers.

I came across the morning's first bird-wave in which I found a Grey-headed, a Sooty, an Asian brown and a female Verditer flycatchers. That's all done before eight-five. I took the steps down to the first Butterfly Paradise/Garden on my right. Quite quiet the place really was. I took a slow stroll around the berry-bearing tree. It was after some time that I found my first Mugimaki flycatcher which flew in to feed. However, the plumage was that of a female- absent of white eyebrow, brown headed and just wing bars without lengthwise continuation across the folded wing chiefly - which led me to the impression that perhaps it was the strength of sunlight that got me the image. Anyhow, I had largely forgotten about the photo that C.W. got the day before.

With four different kinds of flycatchers well in my purse I continued with determined light-heartedness. A second bird-wave noisy well above Reservoir Walk was heard up the slope with a branch road on its right. Some minivets and a lot of Japanese white-eyes. It took some time to have a female Black-naped monarch seen and identified. A long distance away, I must admit. The sixth kind of flycatchers.

The walk up to Picnic Sites 8 and 9 yielded no migrants. But I saw three Greater-necklaced laughing thrushes within one scope image, feeding closely on the ground, uncommonly found until perhaps the ground was abound in dropped seeds and fruits.  

When I on my return way went past P.S. 8 I met my third bird-wave and found among local birds my second Asian brown flycatcher.

A diversion to the half-bare ground  beyond P.S. 12 yielded me four Eurasian blackbirds which were only heard previously. I got also my first lot of seven Olive-backed pipits that came to winter here. A Red-throated flycatcher was then seen that perched on a horizontal-lying dead tree and made sallies to the ground for food. My seventh kind of flycatchers.

I came back to the first Butterfly Garden well past noon. Just to check if the female Mugimaki had stayed. To my annoyance I found one with darker head, black fringe on its lower jaw that resembled some kind of moustachial stripe and with white lengthwise extension from its wingbar. I kept on observing and found two Mugimakis in stead of one in the same tree. As time passed my Mugimaki images had one exactly like that in C.W.'s photo. I came to an inescapable conclusion that I had found three Mugimaki flycatchers that migrated together. A reference later on with Robson's bird book confirmed that I had seen an adult male, an immature male and an adult female.

Amidst the birds that came to feed on the red berries, I got my second Sooty and a second Grey-headed nearby, increasing my morning's flycatchers to a total of twelve. What a pleasant morning!

S L Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 20/11/2014 21:31 ]

Go birding while the right wind blows - paraphrasing the English proverb, "Make haste while the sun shines" - is the best advice for mid to late November. This certainly applies to big sites like Shing Mum/ Lead Mine Pass. Migrants and winterers follow local birds in the morning to forage and feed and remain active well after noon. For the past two visits, I birded until half-past one.

Without doubt it's luck that had played a great role in securing such large number of flycatchers if it only applies to the area only.
Birding with keen eyes and ears and concentration aided by local knowledge of habitats and birds are indispensable mental tools.

Hoping my words are regarded as experience sharing rather than boastfulness. I joined the society since 1989 and since then have remained
keen to follow my most regarded precept of keeping on a life learning habit though as slow as Abraham Lincoln once told us about himself.

Cheers

S L Tai

Dear Coconutcat

Sorry it's your nickname that's only known to me.

My answer to your worries. First, from my experience, the Mugimakis found at the first Butterfly Garden/Paradise have known to me to stay
for a week the longest; reason simple: berries are low in calories which are needed in plenty to be converted to bodily fat. So it's a good chance to see some of the three. Also a good chance to see Grey-headed and Verditer's on the road side a short way before and beyond (two to three hundred metres either way) the garden in a birdwave. I suggest to be around there between eight and eight thirty.

Good luck

S L Tai

Dear Coconutcat

Should be thankful if you would kindly post a report plus bird photos here for all to enjoy.

S L Tai

Dear all

From plumage difference, I can see that there's an additional female which I did not see on Wednesday.

Four Mugimakis at 1st Butterfly Paradise/Garden. A very uncommon concentration, or a new record number?

Thanks Coconutcat

S L Tai

Dear C W

I agree.

Thanks.

And also thanks for Geoff's good information.

S L Tai

24th November, 2014 (Mon)
Easterly keeps good weather, cool at 18 but rising quickly up to a hot 26 Celsius

Warmness brings down bird number
Birds form less mixed flocks resulting in seeing lots less
But Mugimakis display keeps on

The Little egret kept its watchful eyes on the catchment outlet but the Long-tailed shrike, believing to be moving to the access road side, was not seen at the Dam. The Ashy drongo, together with other avi-insectivores, did not as well show their appearance on the Taiwan Shan See. However, it was probably the same bird that was seen followed a flock of four Blackbirds flying elsewhere to feed aerially.

It was the same berry-bearing tree that kept on the flycatcher display, the same four Mugimakis, single Asian brown and Sooty easily seen, attracting four photo-birders, including C W and John, the latter taking lots and lots of the first species to his heart's satisfaction.

I left John to go on my routine walk, but seeing little, except finding the lot of Brown-collared yuhinias around the second butterfly garden on the return leg. One more bird, a Radde's warbler skulking in undergrowth was seen and heard at the upper level of the same place on the forward leg.

S L Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 24/11/2014 23:04 ]

John

You've got shots so near to the birds!

S L Tai

Thread