Thread
Print

Hill Blue Flycatcher or Chinese Blue Flycatcher?

Hill Blue Flycatcher or Chinese Blue Flycatcher?

2017-Mar-02, afternoon
京士柏遊樂場
King's park Recreation Ground

I think it is a Hill Blue Flycatcher because it favored lower perch and I couldn't see any shining blue rump and shoulder flash.
(According to "The Birds of Hong Kong and South China", p.196, "...lacks contrasting shining blue rump and shoulder flash..." and "Favours low perches...")

However, its call was like the sound record of Chinese Blue Flycatcher found in:
http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Cyornis-glaucicomans

I heard that most of its call were in three notes but occasionally one note and this is my audio record:
Hill_Blue_Flycatcher_or_Chinese_Blue_Flycatcher_Call.mp3 (96.54 KB)

Any idea?
Thanks.
--end--

[ Last edited by ac130 at 2/03/2017 22:39 ]

Agree with you that this is most likely a Hill Blue Flycatcher. Not because of the lack of irridescence on the shoulder which is because this is a First Winter bird which haven't complete it's contour feather moult, but the orange wedge is very broad around the throat and seems to almost reach the base of lower mandible.
Orange wedge pattern can be higly variable from an individual to another and variation limits are not well documented, but I doubt glaucicommans can show such a throat pattern.
This bird appears also very bulky body which is also pro Hill blue to me.
Contact call between hainanus, banyumas and glaucicommans are very similar, so not a usefull ID tool...
Both glaucicommans and banyumas are often see on perch close to the ground, so also not very usefull...

All the best,

Jonathan

Thread