Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] A New Bird Killer - Noise Barrier 新雀鳥殺手 - 隔音屏障

Did these recent bird-kills happen at the same noise barrier which Highways Department has added eagle stickers and horizontal opaque stripes as shown in your photos posted earlier?

Looks like the standard provisions now in force for avoiding bird collisions with noise barriers are not effective.  The eagle stickers cannot scare away the brids, and the horizontal opaque stripes are too thin to be recognizable from a distance and also the spacing between adjacent stripes may even cause illusion to birds that they can fly through the 'gap' between stripes.  Tinting may be effective but the normal tinting used for noise barrier panels are blue, green or yellow which are all basic colours of the nature and therefore may not send a strong enough signal to the flying birds that there is man-made obstruction ahead.
If Government is not providing an effective solution, can HKBWS take the lead and form a task force to explore and identify effective means for incorporation into noise barrier designs to avoid bird-kills?
Once proven effective means are found, I am sure EPD and HyD would be glad to update their Guidelines on Design of Noise Barriers accordingly.

There is no more new posting of dead birds found near noise barriers for almost a year now.  Does this mean that the problem has been resolved now?
It seems that Chinese Univeristy of Hong Kong used a pattern of circular dots on noise barrier surface and found that the pattern can deter birds from collision.  Is this correct and anyone has photo of the noise barrier with dotted pattern for sharing with us?

Quote:
Original posted by cgeoff at 17/08/2012 13:50
This issue of appropriate noise barriers to minimise bird mortality is something I've been looking at recently. Barriers are problematic if they are a) transparent and appear to allow a clear route th ...
Geoff, I think the 2x4 Rule is 2" vertical and 4" horizontal (ref. page 47 of 'Bird-Friendly Building Design' https://abcbirds.org/wp-content/ ... ated-April-2019.pdf )

I am glad to hear that HKBWS officially joins the "Global Bird Collision Mapper" platform this year and is calling members' help in keeping records of HK bird collisions with a hope that the data collected will serve to promote bird-friendly building designs.
十分高興知道香港觀鳥會今年正式登陸「全球鳥撞地圖」,並邀請會友協助上傳香港鳥撞記錄,期望收集所得的數據長遠有助推動鳥類友善的建築設計。

Thread