Thread
Print

Return of 'breeding' Barn Swallow 家燕回歸

Return of 'breeding' Barn Swallow 家燕回歸

On 26 Dec 2007, a pair of Barn Swallow was seen in Mai Po Village and the one in full breeding plumage behaved to search over the nest used in last summer.

I remember that the first breeding was found around Chinese New Year last year.

Such early return is somewhat surprising me...

A pair of Barn Swallow started singing at Mai Po village this afternoon.

I've seen up to 10 Barn Swallows in Mai Po Village so far this year - they do seem to return very early!

A pair of Red-rumped Swallows has also returned to the nest site they used last year, and there was a second pair in the village a few days ago. I actually saw the red-rumped returning to the nest site as long ago as 22nd November - especially amazing because they don't seem to breed until April or May!

2 Barn Swallows found in tai sang wai

4Barn Swallows found in fung yuen

2 Barn Swallows in Ping Long, Lam Tsuen on Saturday 1st March, and 2 in Ng Tung Chai on Mon 3rd March

Cheers

Mike K
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Finally, I notice the breeding Barn Swallows return to Mai Po Village on last Satursday (14 Feb).

It is quite late in this year, with comparing to the date of the previous two years.

[ Last edited by yyattung at 17/02/2009 17:38 ]

one lonely Barn Swallows found in tai sang wai Feb 14, 2009.

At Nam Wa Po Tsuen, Tai Po - where I live - I saw what I presume to be the first returning breeding Barn Swallow on February 9th. On February 13th there were two Barn Swallows over the village, and on the 14th I saw three birds, including one bird collecting mud from the local streamside. One of these birds flew into a fully-formed nest - I assume it was adding mud to patch up a nest used by swallows last season, rather than adding the finishing touches to a completely new nest.

Dave

7/2/2009(Sat) Long Valley

2 were seen during a trip in the afternoon
I am just an inexperienced birder/ birdwatcher/ twitcher/ photographer with no long lens.

14Mar2009, 2 pair of BS came back to Sham Shui Po and Jordan!

And last week come back to Tsing Yi la!

[ Last edited by Sze at 29/03/2009 01:14 ]

31/3/09 茶果嶺 Cha Kwo Ling
約有十五隻在空中互相追逐,一面發出叫聲,有時像爭奪舊巢位。
About 15 birds were chasing among each other and calling.  At times there seemed to be some dispute over old nest sites.

Mai Po Village

A few Barn Swallows were seen in fishponds nearby but no sign to start building nest or singing so far.

But a pair of Red-rumped Swallow started singing yesterday.

Three Barn Swallows singing over Mai Po Village this afternoon, and one singing near San Tin earlier in the week. I haven't seen any nest-building yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of days!

One in Lam Tsuen yesterday and today- singing.  Lovely sound.

At least one pair of Barn Swallow starts nest building at Mai Po Village from yesterday.

Saw a pair on Barn Swallow at Jordan on Friday (05Mar2010)!

05Mar2010看見有一對家燕已經返左佐敦啦!而且霸左年年最好生養個舊巢啊!

Only one pair at Cha Kwo Link today 7/3/10
今天(7/3/10)茶果嶺只有一對

Swallow starts breeding soon?

A pair of Red-rumped Swallow was just seen at Mai Po Village and they seem looking for nesting place now.

But no breeding Barn Swallow has been seen at Mai Po Village yet. From the posts above, they could come back now but the persistent cold weather may delay of it. I will report it when they return!

[ Last edited by yyattung at 31/01/2011 12:21 ]

Interesting that you and I seem to have been thinking the same thing, Tung. There seem to be very few swallows around, and none at all in the village yet.

I just make a summary of arrival of swallows at Mai Po Village as follows:

First date of breeding signs of Barn and Red-rumped Swallows

Barn Swallow
Winter 2006-07: around Chinese New Year, i.e 18 Feb 2007
Winter 2007-08: returned at 26 Dec 2007, singing at 16 Jan 2008
Winter 2008-09: returned at 14 Feb 2009
Winter 2009-10: returned (seen at fishponds nearby) and singing at 31 Jan 2010, started building nest on 9 Feb 2010
Winter 2010-11: no sign yet

Red-rumped Swallow
Winter 2006-07: ????
Winter 2007-08: return at 22 Nov 2007, second pair returned at ~15 Jan 2008
Winter 2008-09: ????
Winter 2009-10: singing at 30 Jan 2010
Winter 2010-11: returned at 31 Jan 2011

It would be nice to see some weather information with this observations. Could anyone help to find it out? I think simple information such as 'warm', 'exceptionally warm', 'cold', 'exceptionally cold', normal, would be good enough to let us to have some ideas. For example: I would say this winter - winter 2010-11 is exceptionally cold.

[ Last edited by yyattung at 1/02/2011 11:29 ]

The Red-rumped Swallow data here are a bit deceptive. In fact, the birds seem to turn up occasionally throughout the winter. I often see them in November and December (counts of up to 10 in Mai Po Village last December), and have seen nest-building activity at that time.

My impression is that Red-rumped tends to remain in the general area through the winter, and returns to the breeding site to repair nests. More birds (first-time nesters?) then turn up later in the spring, often not until April-May.

The Monthly Weather Summary Search Engine:
http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/pastwx/mws.htm

And I have copy some monthly summary as follows:

First date of breeding signs of Barn Swallows
First date of breeding signs of Red-rumped Swallows
Monthly Weather Summary

Winter 2006-07:
around Chinese New Year, i.e 18 Feb 2007
????

November 2006 was unseasonably warm.

December 2006 was sunnier and warmer than normal.

January 2007 was warmer than usual.

February 2007 was unseasonably warm.
Winter 2007-08:
returned at 26 Dec 2007, singing at 16 Jan 2008
return at 22 Nov 2007, second pair returned at ~15 Jan 2008

November 2007 was cooler and drier than usual.

December 2007 was warm and hazy.

January 2008 was cloudier and wetter than usual.

February 2008 was much colder than usual.
Winter 2008-09:
returned at 14 Feb 2009
????

November 2008 was brighter and warmer than usual.

December 2008 was warmer and drier than usual.

January 2009 was sunnier and drier than usual.

February 2009 was the warmest February since records began in 1884.
Winter 2009-10:
returned (seen at fishponds nearby) and singing at 31 Jan 2010, started building nest on 9 Feb 2010
singing at 30 Jan 2010

November 2009 was cooler than usual.

December 2009 was cooler and wetter than usual.

On the whole, the first month of 2010 was milder than usual.  The first half of January was cooler than normal while the weather became significantly milder than usual in the second half, resulting in a mean temperature of 16.8 degrees for the whole month which was 0.7 degrees above normal.

The cold snap during the Chinese New Year period was more than counter-balanced by a persistently warm and humid maritime airstream towards the end of the month, making February 2010 wetter and milder than usual.
Winter 2010-11:
8 Feb 2011
returned at 31 Jan 2011

With prevalence of relatively weak but dry northeast monsoon, there was ample of sunshine in November 2010. The mean temperature of the month was 21.2 degrees, slightly lower than the normal figure of 21.4 degrees.

Despite several cold episodes in the month, the mean temperature of December 2010 was 18.1 degrees, 0.3 degrees above normal.

Due to the frequent replenishments of the winter monsoon, the monthly mean temperature of 13.7 degrees for the first month of 2011 was 2.4 degrees below normal, making it the coldest January since 1977.

[ Last edited by Sze at 10/02/2011 22:52 ]

Barn Swallows have returned to Mai Po Village two days ago, 8 Feb 10. I also heard them singing this afternoon.

Tung! Thanks for your information!

我個人主觀感覺,氣候對該年第一窩雛鳥出世的時間比成鳥回歸的時間有較大的影響!
而且對市區的燕子影響較鄉郊(如:米埔)的為大。

10/2/11貝澳︰單拖一隻

10/2/11貝澳︰單拖一隻

A pair was back to Mayfair Garden, Tsing Yi, yesterday.  Still waiting another three pairs.

Quote:
Original posted by cpatrick at 27/03/2011 20:37
A pair was back to Mayfair Garden, Tsing Yi, yesterday.  Still waiting another three pairs.
Good! thanks for your information!

Two pairs and one individual arrived the old nests in Leung Fat House and Ching Nga Court in Tsing Yi a few days ago.
However, the old nest at Leung Fat House was removed when non-breeding season.

Quote:
Original posted by fatchun at 27/03/2011 23:38
Two pairs and one individual arrived the old nests in Leung Fat House and Ching Nga Court in Tsing Yi a few days ago.
However, the old nest at Leung Fat House was removed when non-breeding season.
fatchun! thanks for your information ar!

今年7對家燕落户,比往年多3對﹔去年佔了家燕巢的雨燕沒有回來。有趣的是一隻班鳩在燕巢對面築了巢。

Quote:
Original posted by cpatrick at 22/04/2011 21:27
今年7對家燕落户,比往年多3對﹔去年佔了家燕巢的雨燕沒有回來。有趣的是一隻班鳩在燕巢對面築了巢。
謝謝資料!家燕跟斑鳩吃的不同,所以沒有太大衝突,可以和平共處!
反而家燕跟雨燕吃的很相似,所以牠們兩個是競爭對手,不能做鄰居的!

On 27 Jan 2012 (last Friday), five Red-rumped and a couple of Barn Swallows were seen returning to Mai Po Village.

The Red-rumped Swallows 'might feel disappionted' because their nests built in last few years were demolished in last autumn. I hope they can build the new ones in the coming months.

Quote:
Original posted by yyattung at 29/01/2012 16:33
The Red-rumped Swallows 'might feel disappionted' because their nests built in last few years were demolished in last autumn. I hope they can build the new ones in the coming months.
Tung! Thanks for your information.
I guess the Red-rumped Swallows may try to occupy any vacant Barn Swallow nests and modify them. So may try to keep an eye on it.

Thread