Thread
Print

unknown (ringed?)warbler at po toi

unknown (ringed?)warbler at po toi

sorry for posting at a wrong place and please help me to move the topic to identification forum if needed.

Po Toi 16 March 2008
It was hiding inside dense bushes so i didn't manage to get a better photo.

size: small, similar to yellow-browed
appearance: relatively pale, greyish upperside, narrow black eyestripe(as in photo)
voice: different from a dusky - more similar to that of a common stonechat, and not so rhythmic

seems the bird is also ringed (although not helping in identification).

Why do you think the bird is ringed? There is no ring visible in the photos - did you see one in the field? Most birds in HK are ringed on the right leg, and if this bird is ringed it would be on the left leg (which is not fully visible) so it may come from overseas.

Unfortunately I can't make out enough details on the bird to help you with the ID.

I suspect this is the Mountain (Brownish-flanked) Bush Warbler which has been on Po Toi all winter. It makes a ticking noise like a geiger counter, not as loud as a Dusky Warbler. It stays in the thick upper canopy of tangled branches and is very difficult to see, almost impossible to photograph.

Did you see it just above the upper school? This is where it normally is.

i didn't really see rings through my binoculars, maybe the "rings" in the photo are just other things else in front of the bird.

Yes the voice was just like what you described, and exactly the bird was seen just above the school.

Thread