Thread
Print

[Plovers] Kentish Plover 環頸鴴 and Greater Sand Plovers 鉄嘴沙鴴

Kentish Plover 環頸鴴 and Greater Sand Plovers 鉄嘴沙鴴

Mai Po
11/4/2008

Kentish Plover 環頸鴴 (#1 only)

Greater Sand Plover (#2-#4)

These are not Kentish Plovers, these are Greater Sand Plovers. Greater Sand Plovers bill looks larger and "heavier" than Kentish. Also, the bird/birds in photo 2-4 shows a thick connected breast band which is not a feature of Kentish, Kentish have a much thinner disconnected breast band all year round. The first one is a juv. or non-breeding?? I am guessing a juv. but not very sure...

Cheers
Matt  8)
As The Crow Flies- a Hong Kong Birding Blog
http://www.matthewkwanbirding.blogspot.hk

[quote:3bbf070a2b="kmatthew"]These are not Kentish Plovers, these are Greater Sand Plovers. Greater Sand Plovers bill looks larger and "heavier" than Kentish. Also, the bird/birds in photo 2-4 shows a thick connected breast band which is not a feature of Kentish, Kentish have a much thinner disconnected breast band all year round. The first one is a juv. or non-breeding?? I am guessing a juv. but not very sure...

Cheers
Matt  8)[/quote]

Thanks Matthew.   

But could the first one be a Kentish Plover, as the white collar band goes to the back (instead of ending at two sides as other Greater Sand Plovers)?  :?  Please advise.  Thanks.

Cheers
KN

Add another photo of the same bird

Looking at the photos of the first bird again, I agree that there is a white collar ring around it's neck. But at first glance, the bill looks too big for a Kentish. I thought about the bird's angle to the camera which could distort the neck patterns, but I looked through a lot of images and no Greater Sand Plover have a white collar ring going this far back.

So yes, I will say you are right on this one, this is a Kentish Plover!! Sorry for the incorrect identification.  ops:
As The Crow Flies- a Hong Kong Birding Blog
http://www.matthewkwanbirding.blogspot.hk

[quote:a62eeefcd9="kmatthew"]Looking at the photos of the first bird again, I agree that there is a white collar ring around it's neck. But at first glance, the bill looks too big for a Kentish. I thought about the bird's angle to the camera which could distort the neck patterns, but I looked through a lot of images and no Greater Sand Plover have a white collar ring going this far back.

So yes, I will say you are right on this one, this is a Kentish Plover!! Sorry for the incorrect identification.  ops:[/quote]

Thank you Matthew.   
KN

Thread