Thread
Print

Lam Tsuen - Winter 林村 - 冬 2008

A good range of species - I live in this area, so it is good to see other birders visiting and finding good birds. I future I will post my sightings in this thread instead of Ng Tung Chai.

If you have time there are also trails that go into woodland behind Tai Om and a trail that goes up to Lin au, where i had a Large Grass Warbler over the holiday weekend.

Cheers
Mike K
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Hi Manson

There were a couple of White-browed Laughingthrushes and lots of Chinese Blackbirds around this morning and a Green Sandpiper flew up by the Ping Long bus stop.

I've never really birded the Tai To Yan side, so I look forward to hearing what birds you find.

Cheers
Mike K

Tuesday in Ng Tung Chai was very dark and birdless untilleaving the villageand finding a Red-throated Flycatcher and  Greenish Warbler at the new carpark where the access road starts to go steeply downhill.

There were also a couple of Grey-backed Thrushes, a Hwamei and Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler here.

In the afternoon Tai Om Shan held 25 Striated Yuhinas.

Cheers
Mike K

A quieter morning at Tai Om Shan

Red-throated Flycatcher - 1

Ashy Drongo - 1

Asian Stubtail - 2

Cheers
Mike K

Brown Wood Owl heard in Lam Tsuen

Last night I heard a Brown Wood Owl calling in the fung shui wood behind Tai Om Village from 1015  to about 1030.

It has a soft but distinct four note call (hoo-hoohoohoo) which is totally different from any other owl in HK. The call is described and transcribed very well in the Handbook to the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent. It is the call listed as number 2 (but do not have the book with me to confirm).

I did not try to locate the bird, as It would be very difficult to find it in a wood with no paths in the middle of the night, but am thining about how to see this bird and will keep you posted.

Cheers
Mike K

Aiya aiya - where is the Dusky Thrush - this would be a new bird for me in Lam Tsuen!!

Ps PM me

Good records!!

Mike

very nice pix of the Dusky Thrsh and BN Oriole!

Not too sure about your small bird  - sounds interesting. I've never heard a buttonquail call.

A quiet weekend for me - 2 Black-winged Cuckooshrikes and a Rufous-tailed Robin near the graves at the beginning of the path to Tai Om Shan, and this morning an Asian House Martin hunting round my house - just my second in Lam Tsuen.

Cheers
Mike

Thread