Thread
Print

[Stint] Little Stints

Little Stints

Little Stints

Mai Po, 18/04/09

Thanks  a lot to Tung for finding these 2 Little Stints.

Great photos, allowing the comparison of these birds with Red-necked Stints.
The stints are currently very obliging just outside the new boardwalk hide, making it possible to compare the details of plumage and structure for correct ID.

Nice set! Really good for ID. Thx

Cheers
PWMK

I would like to know how to identify the little stint on photo#3 & 4 from the red neck stint non-breeding.

Then if this is little stint?

Thanks to John and PWMK.

Sorry that I cannot answer this question with certainty. Hope that some experts can help.
Quote:
Original posted by ckwokwing at 21/04/2009 10:46
I would like to know how to identify the little stint on photo#3 & 4 from the red neck stint non-breeding.

Then if this is little stint?

I saw this winter-plumaged Little Stint on Saturday.  The bird was associating with Red-necked Stints just outside the hide, allowing good comparison between the species. Although the plumage difference was not obvious, the structural differences were apparent, including:
Slightly larger body size of Little Stint
Longer legs (especially above knee)
Longer, finer bill tapering towards tip
Less horizontal posture
Slightly longer neck, making head seem to sit more on top of the body.
The behaviour was also different, Little Stint seeming to pick at the surface of the mud (rather than the shuffling, probing action of Red-necked)

Most of these structural differences can be seen in the last (excellent!) photo posted by Cherry.

I am not sure about the additional photo posted - it may be Little Stint (some of the structural features seem to fit) but the angle is not very clear.

Thanks for John's detailed explanation. It's well known that differentiation between non-breeding Red-necked Stints and non-breeding Little Stints is very difficult.

One more Little Stint that appeared on the same day. Although it is in breeding plumage, most wing coverts are not edged rufous.
Mai Po, 18/04/09

[ Last edited by cywong at 30/04/2009 23:27 ]

Thread