Thread
Print

Rufous-capped Babbler 紅頭穗鶥

Rufous-capped Babbler 紅頭穗鶥

May 3, 2009 Braemar Hill

[ Last edited by tsawong at 5/05/2009 01:46 ]

It looks more like a common tailorbird (長尾縫葉鶯).  Rufous-capped babbler doesn't look so 'slim'.  Also, the throat doesn't look like that of a rufous-capped babbler.  
Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

Dear thinfor,
Thanks.
For a new birder, it is not easy for me to tell.  My feeling is that its tail is not quite 長尾.  
Also, based on other photos in the book/forum, the body and tail proportion is not quite the same as 長尾縫葉鶯.  
This is a good learning experience for me.  Thanks in advance for further guidance.
Attached two more photos for reference:

tsa

You're welcome, tsa.  Indeed, we learn from each other and that's one of the main aspects the forum can offer.

Actually, female common tailorbird has a tail of more reasonable length.  So the bird in the photo may be a female.  It also appears to have some dark feather bases on face and throat but rufous-capped babbler doesn't.

Their call is different.  You will have many chances to get familiarize with their calls.

Rufous-capped babblers seem to appear in a limited area.  So far I only see them in TPK.  Hope the above helps.
Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

Dear Thinfor,

There were two birds chasing each other deep inside the trees. Both were 'dancing' with high frequency by moving their wings ups and downs (and you could see them in the photos).  They sounded like a Rufous-capped babbler but with a quickened tempo and non-stop for a long period (about 20 to 30 seconds)while dancing.  Then they flew away and I found them (two of them) again later in nearby trees.  Later, one of them stood out openly (seemingly resting) for around 30 seconds and I took a few photos.

I may not be very familar with the sound of Rufous-capped babbler from the beginning (I only heard it two times in TPK).  After all, I might just mis-associate the sounds.  In any csse, thank you very much for your guidance.

Attached with two more photos for sharing.  Case closed.  I learnt a lot.  Thank you.

These are definitely Common Tailorbird. As suggested by thinfor, Rufous-capped Babbler would be bulkier (less slender) with a shorter bill, shorter legs, shorter tail and yellower underparts.  The behaviour also fits better for tailorbirds - the babbler would usually be in dense vegetation and fairly mobile.
Rufous-capped Babbler also calls frequently - a distinct call of five notes, all on the same pitch, lasting no more than a couple of seconds. Tailorbird, on the other hand, could give a continuous song for a period of 20-30 seconds as described.
Rufous-capped Babbler is now numerous and widespread in shrubland/forest of the central and eastern New Territories but rarely (if ever) recorded elsewhere.

Thread