BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 3rd, 2024, 11:34pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   General 一般問題
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Webcreeper)
   Rules in Photo Sharing Forum 《相片分享》區的貼相規矩
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rules in Photo Sharing Forum 《相片分享》區的貼相規矩  (Read 1663 times)
Fred
BBS Member
BBS God

Birds are fascinating!

Rules in Photo Sharing Forum 《相片分享》區的貼相規矩
« on: May 5th, 2006, 11:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wonder why photos of certain species in particular swallows, tern etc cannot be posted under Photo Sharing.  When there is no additional information other than a visual appreciation of the species, there is not much value or meaning of enforcing such rules.  After all, contributors of the photos may have the sole intention of sharing their photos without any consideration of the conservation or any other issues related to the species.  Their purposes are perfectly legitimate and therefore such be respected.

For the consideration of the Photo Sharing forum administrators.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2006, 12:36pm by Webcreeper » Logged
Hendrix
BBS Member
BBS God

I love wings!

Re: Rules in Photo Sharing Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 6th, 2006, 9:36am »

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl#General

>>

Black-faced Spoonbill 黑臉琵鷺  
Messages & photos about Black-faced Spoonbill & reports from HKBWS BFS Interest Group  
Moderators: Yat-tung YU, BBS Moderators 324 807 May 3rd, 2006, 12:15am
by schindler
  Goodbye Penfold 告別彭福  
Please post your messages, photos & records onto this forum dedicated to Penfold Park (彭福公園) where we have many good records of migrant species and resident birds in the past and the FUTURE.  
Moderators: carmen, Forrest FONG 23 118 Apr 28th, 2006, 9:02pm
by David_Diskin
  Tern Conservation 燕鷗保育  
Messages, discussions, sightings, and photos about terns, and reports from HKBWS Tern Study Group  
Moderators: BBS Moderators, Tern Group 185 640 May 5th, 2006, 10:57pm
by schindler
  Black-eared Kite 鳶(麻鷹)  
Messages, discussions, sightings, and photos about Black-eared Kite, and reports from HKBWS Kite Research Group  
Moderators: BBS Moderators, YIP Chi Lap [Beta], Karin 90 505 May 5th, 2006, 7:23pm
by 深藍 Owen
  Swifts and Swallows 燕與雨燕  
Messages, stories, sightings, and photos about swifts and swallows, and reports from HKBWS Swifts and Swallows Research Group  
Moderators: sttsim, BBS Moderators

www.look.hk welcome you
Fred
BBS Member
BBS God

Birds are fascinating!

« Reply #2 on: May 6th, 2006, 4:17pm »

I do not quite understand the meaning of Hendrix by including some quotes. Perhaps Hendrix means I have not noticed the word "Photos" in the forum descriptions. Of course I do but I do not agree.

If any photos are to be meaningful placed in the specialized forums, they should have something to do with their stated purposes. Not all photos can serve the purpose such as conservation and in fact too many photos may even serve to dilute the contents and confuse the readers. On the other hand, there are some photos which should help advance the specialized discussion. The current indiscriminate depositing of photos in those forums gives effect to only the former. I believe substance is more important than form.

Following the same line, I appreciate the current practice of not moving photos of terns from the Photo Sharing forum to the Tern Conservation forum, and others alike. And, moving all photos taken in Long Valley to the "Sustainable Management Scheme in Long Valley" forum does not help much our understanding of the Scheme.

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2006, 4:33pm by Fred » Logged
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 6th, 2006, 5:40pm »

on May 6th, 2006, 4:17pm, World Cup 2006 wrote:

I appreciate the current practice of not moving photos of terns from the Photo Sharing forum to the Tern Conservation forum, and others alike.

Aiya! We had forgotten to move the tern photos posted into the Photo Gallery to the "Tern Conservation" Forum.
Sorry for causing the mis-understanding.

Cheers,

Forrest
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2006, 12:19am by Forrest FONG » Logged

FF
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 7th, 2006, 3:27am »

Hi World Cup 2006,

Thank you for your comment/feedback.
Actually, we do observe the purpose of posting photos into this BBS by our registered members and do respect their legitimacy. At the same time, we do expect our members don't forget the requirements of this BBS and support us by posting more meaningful information in this BBS.We don't want to see and it is not our intent that members just want to share their stunning photos but without considering the conservation or issue related to the species.

I would like to highlight that the Photo Galleries in this BBS are different from other photography websites/web photo gallery/album. The primary function of this BBS is for members to share their birding records and experience by posting their messages, photos & trip reports, etc. Therefore, our main focus is on the information provided by the bird photos instead of the image quality. As re-iterated in my previous messages, members should provide the information of the bird observed (date, locaton, description of habitat, etc.) but the photo technique is optional (of course, providing them is very much appreciated).

Why we should move the photos of some bird species to the designated forums? It is because we consider each bird photo is a unique record which is useful to the conservation of the bird species observed. Other than visual appreciation, the photos in fact could give us many useful information of the bird observed including their age & migrating time, the habitat & etc. Research groups have been formed by HKBWS for the tern, BFS, Black Kite & Swallow/Swifts. As per their request, we qrouped all the relevant messages, photos & etc. into the designated forums. By doing so, it will definitely allow us & the research group to collect the relevant data more easily and quickly. In addition, we believe that it could draw more attention to the designated forums as well as the species concerned.

More comment/suggestion/feedback from other members are welcome and appreciated.
They will help us to arrange the new BBS which is being under construction now and will be launched soon.

Thank you for your continuous support to the HKBWS.

Best Regards,

Forrest

FF
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.