BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 5th, 2024, 9:52am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 II
(Moderators: BBS Moderators, Forrest FONG, Kwok Jai)
   Black-browed Barbet 黑眉擬啄木鳥 (Cha Pai Ling Reserve)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Black-browed Barbet 黑眉擬啄木鳥 (Cha Pai Ling Reserve)  (Read 1848 times)
William Wong

Email

Black-browed Barbet 黑眉擬啄木鳥 (Cha Pai Ling Reserve)
« on: Dec 28th, 2003, 5:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Black-browed Barbet 黑眉擬啄木鳥 Megalaima oorti
Can anyone help me to identify the attached photo of bird?This photo was taken in Cha Pai Ling Reserve of Kwantung on 26 December 2003.

I know that this is a Black-browed Babet but I cannot find out which sub-species should be as accordig to the "A Field Guide to the Birds of China.
Cha Pai Ling Reserve 車八嶺
26/12/2003
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2004, 10:18am by BBS Moderators » Logged
Uncle_Tall
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Re: Black-browed Barbet 黑眉擬啄木鳥
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 6:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Inspired by Richard Lewthwaite, I am also interested in the subspecies classification of Black-browed Barbet. I think the bird is M oorti sini which exists in Northern Guangdong and Guangxi. There is near complete red collar. This separates from SE Asia subspecies (oorti & annamensis) and Hainan subspecies (faber, which also have a black forehead and crown). These subspecies have only a red spot around the neck. On the other hand, the forehead is yellow extending all the way to the base of bill for the Taiwanese nuchalis. The bird shown does not have any yellow over the forehead.  

Head pattern is also different among the subspecies. However this cannot be applied on this photo.

Please correct me if I am incorrect.
http://community.webshots.com/s/image4/9/64/96/107096496dRhWSD_ph.jpg

"Mueller Barbet 五色鳥" ([M. oorti nuchalis) Taiwan July 2002

Actually I am studying the classification of "Golden/Blyth Parrotbill" right now. The subspecies/species classifcation and common name nomenclature is even more confusing. Like the barbet, this species also exists in Taiwan and northern Guangdong. Their range also extends to Guangxi, Szechuan and the related species/subspecies Black-throated Parrotbill exists in Yunnan, Thailand, Myanmar, Northern India. It would be interesting if we can compare their calls besides their difference in head pattern for both of the barbet and the parrotbill.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2003, 10:43pm by Uncle_Tall » Logged
William Wong

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 9:21pm »

According to the drawing of the "A Field Guide to the Birds of China", Sub-species 'Sini' of Black-browed Barbet has a yellow throat but the bird of this photo has a blue throat.

May be some of the 'sini' has a difference colour of throat.
Uncle_Tall
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 10:24pm »

I think there is some yellowish-orange tint in the outline of the throat. As the bird is turning the head away, the throat is partly obscure. All Black-browed barbets have yellowish throat. The throat color of sub-species sini is slightly more towards orange.

Do you remember its call? The call of the Taiwan's "Muller's Barbet" is "kot-kot-kot" at 1-2 second interval. I could not remember exactly the call of Ba Bao shan barbet. Books quoted "tok-tr-trrrrt 20 times per minute with emphasis on third syllable" (Mackinon) or toka-r'ut once a second (Robson).

Is that interesting? And this barbet should be a montane species, but the black-browed barbet in Taiwan can be found easily in the Botanical Garden of Taipei at sea-level.

I hope Richard or some other expert can enlighten us more.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2003, 10:32pm by Uncle_Tall » Logged
William Wong

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29th, 2003, 6:54am »

This bird did not call and was perching on the tree silently.
Uncle_Tall
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 12:15am »

I noticed a major difference of the bird from the drawing in books - this bird showed a grey undertail. Phillips' drawing is green. The Taiwan subspecies also have a green undertail.
TH_Kwan
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

I love bird watching!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 12:58am »

Here is  a photo concerning the Nuchalis subspecies that I took in Taiwan Taipei Botanical Garden in August 2002.
http://community.webshots.com/s/image4/1/81/23/107418123qLXkqH_ph.jpg

According to the Handbook of the birds of the world volume 7 page 205 and plate 12, The Nuchalis subspecies is found in Taiwan as shown in this picture with a pale yellow forehead, whereas the Sini subspecies is found in South China while the Faber subspecies is found in Hainan Island. The latter two species differ from the Taiwan Species by black forehead.  There is more prominent red patch over the front and the nape in the Sini subspecies as compared to the Faber subspecies.  The picture that William posted actually showed a yellowish orange chin though the lighting made it looked a bit dull. Basing on the location and the relative lack of reddish nape in your bird, though the nape was not shown well, I think it is reasonable to classify your bird to be the Megalaima oorti sini.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2003, 8:55am by Forrest FONG » Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.