BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. May 6th, 2024, 6:07am

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Special Topics 特別主題
   Wild Birds & Avian Flu 野鳥與禽流感
(Moderators: Forrest FONG, Webcreeper, BBS Moderators)
   Mai Po closure 關閉米埔自然保護區
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mai Po closure 關閉米埔自然保護區  (Read 5681 times)
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

Mai Po closure 關閉米埔自然保護區
« on: Feb 1st, 2006, 7:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Could we please have further details as to what this means ? Is it closed to ALL people or casual visitors.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2006, 10:33pm by Webcreeper » Logged
深藍 Owen
BBS Administrator

LOVE KINGFISHER~!

339353245 339353245    

Re: Mai Po closure
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 7:44pm »

According to 2004 closure it apply to All people!

BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 7:51pm »

Thanks Owen, I had planed to go out tomorrow morning - I guess its Nam Sang Wai instead
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 8:28pm »

The latest Press Release is the one below and did not mention MPNR closure ...

Ref :http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200602/01/P200602010226.htm
Temporary closure of aviaries at four LCSD parks
The aviaries at four parks managed by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) will be temporarily closed from tomorrow as a precautionary measure against the possible spread of avian influenza, a spokesman for the department said today (February 1).

The walk-in aviaries in Hong Kong Park and Yuen Long Park will be closed, while the aviaries within enclosed areas at the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens and Kowloon Park will be cordoned off. Notices will be put up to inform park visitors of the arrangements.

The department's Senior Veterinary Officer and staff have been keeping a close watch over the health condition of some 1,500 birds kept in the four parks.

"The birds we keep are healthy and not a single case of infection has been detected. The temporary closure is purely precautionary," the spokesman said.

"We have increased the frequency of cleaning the aviaries to three times a day to maintain a high level of hygiene. We have also reminded our staff to strictly follow the guidelines when cleaning bird droppings and handling dead birds found in our venues, "he added.

Signs have been put up at all LCSD venues where there are bird collections or wild birds congregate to remind the public not to touch the birds or their droppings.

As a health precaution, the public are urged not to feed wild birds at LCSD venues.

"It is an offence to feed or attempt to feed any birds at LCSD venues. The department will step up prosecutions against anyone found doing so," the spokesman said.
Ends/Wednesday, February 1, 2006
Issued at HKT 20:13

KK Hui FRPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
madsen122020
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching and TPK!

294974987 294974987    
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 8:32pm »

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/060201/12/1kvaa.html

明日起關閉米埔自然保護區

要比普通人付出更大的努力,更多的時間
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 8:40pm »

Thanks KK, but tonights 7.30 TVB news specificlly said that Mai Po was closed
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

« Reply #6 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 8:45pm »

Thanks, Bob!
Oh well, we can all go home now!  

KK Hui FRPS
www.geocities.com/kkhui_001
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 8:51pm »

KK, Lets hope that TVB was wrong, maybe somebody from government or WWF will jump in and advise us the situation
Andrew
BBS Member
BBS God

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 9:07pm »

Nothing yet on the WWF HK web site (21.05)
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 9:19pm »

Official Government release that Mai Po is closed

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200602/01/P200602010235.htm
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 9:21pm »

Its interesting that TVB released the news about 1.5 hours before the Government Information Services
Lew_Young
BBS Member
BBS Junior Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 9:33pm »

Dear All,

Yes, I am sorry that AFCD will be closing Mai Po to all birdwatchers from tomorrow (2 Feb 2006) for an indefinite period. Even the school and public group visits that WWF organises into the Reserve will now all have to be rescheduled and we are now contacting the schools etc. to let them know the news. The only exceptions will be WWF staff working at Mai Po and researchers. In the case of researchers, they will need to write to AFCD to get  special permission to have continued access to the Reserve.  I would suggest that these researchers contact AFCD directly for more information.  

At this moment, we do not know when Mai Po will be opened again but it is expected that the Reserve will be clsoed for several weeks at least.

This is all the news I have at the moment but if anyone has any comments or want an update, then they can telephone the Mai Po office at 2471-6306 or call me personally (96276520) and we will do our best to help.

Regards, Lew Young
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:26pm by Lew_Young » Logged
Bob Thompson
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 9:37pm »

Thanks Lew for the quick response, lets hope that the closure is only for a short period

Bob
miket
BBS Member
BBS God

I'd rather be birding!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 10:23pm »

FACT: Sixteen thousand samples have been taken from wild birds at Mai Po to test for H5N1 at Mai Po, I read today in the HKBWS bulletin. Not a single one has been positive.

FACT: Most, if not indeed all, people who have contracted H5N1 type flu worldwide have caught it directly from infected poultry, none from wild birds.

NEWS: Somebody in Sha Tau Kok brings in a poor chicken which has been infected during its brief, miserable life at some filthy chicken factory in Guangdong, it dies  and the HK Govt. closes Mai Po, as well as the aviaries it anachronistically insists on maintaining at the  taxpayer's expense.

REFLECTION: One would like to assume this is because the Govt. wants to prevent the wild birds it has a duty to protect under the Ramsar convention from being infected by this human created disease.

Although if they were clever enough this is the 'spin' they could put on this move, somehow I don't think this is the message that will emerge, rather that they are acting decisively to protect HK people from the filthy disease carriers that we casually permit to come from the north to HK each winter.

The real problem for bird conservation with this move is not that it prevents us from accessing Mai Po, sad as that is, but that it further perpetuates the myth that wild birds are somehow responsible.

Mike Turnbull

事實:今天從香港觀鳥會《會員通訊》知道,在米埔野鳥身上取得的 一萬六千 個測試樣本之中,沒有一個 對H5N1呈陽性反應。

事實:在世界各地染上H5N1流感的人,大部份(如果不是全部)都直接從受感染的家禽得病,而並非經野鳥傳染。

新聞: 有人經沙頭角帶了一只雞來港,這只可憐的鳥在廣東某骯髒的雞工廠過了悲慘而短 暫的一生,並且染上禽流感。這只雞死了,香港政府關閉了米埔,同時也關閉了當 局堅持用納稅人金錢維持的幾個不合時宜的雀鳥園。

思考:我們可以這樣設想:政府這樣做是要履行國際濕地公約的義務,保護野鳥不受人類製造的疾病感染。

就算當局夠聰明,懂得用這個「理由」去關閉米埔,但相信最後出來的版本會是: 當局採取了果斷的行動,保護本港市民免受污穢的(每年冬季都可以隨便地從北面 入口的)帶病毒者感染。

禁止人進入米埔令人,實在令人不快,但是這項措施的真正弊端,其實是在於會進 一步延續人們對野鳥會帶來禽流感的誤解。

Mike Turnbull

W 中譯

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2006, 11:48pm by Webcreeper » Logged
martin
BBS Member
BBS Full Member

Dead Ducks Don't Fly!

Re: Mai Po closure 關閉米埔自然保護區
« Reply #14 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 11:31pm »

Yes, there were warnings that increased chicken imports could lead to bringing H5N1 from the mainland.
This smuggled bird perhaps from farms that aren't so well controlled (with vaccinations, surveillance) as at least some farms - official suppliers - evidently manage in Guangdong. Very, very tough to maintain good vaccinations and surveillance.

Gotta wonder if part of consignment at reduced prices, after problems at farm(s).

Crested mynah reportedly in Wong Tai Sin.
Just wonder: are birds released at temple there, for good fortune, at Chinese New Year?

Here's press release, with more than the one posted above - mentions Mai Po closure (again, Mai Po does seem easy way for govt to appear to be taking action; remember that before CNY, govt was playing down risks that poultry trade could bring H5N1; even tho this time, smuggled.).
http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200602/01/P200602010235.htm

H5N1 Poultry Flu and Wild Birds Forum
HK Outdoors
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.