Thread
Print

White Wagtail ssp personata at Ping Che 16 Jan 2009

I have (hopefully) attached a map showing the location of the wagtail and the easiest access route, as described by Richard.
The bird is still in non-breeding plumage, but appears to be starting moult into breeding plumage. Much of the face is extensively white, but with a very large black bib connecting to the black crown, creating a 'hooded' appearance. The mantle is pale grey (similar to ocularis).

When I found it, it seemed very settled feeding in the channel - when disturbed it flew into the adjacent (burnt) field or occasionally onto the road. From its behaviour, there seems a good chance it will stay for a while.

According to the Avifauna, the only previous HK records were in April 1984 and March 1996. Personata breeds in Central Asia and has been suggested as a potential split from White Wagtail.

Other good birds in the Ping Che area today included Eyebrowed Thrush (adult male) and Buff-bellied Pipit.

Attachment

personata.jpg (159.68 KB)

16/01/2010 20:29

personata.jpg

Thanks Kwan for posting the photo. I understand several observers have now seen this bird (it's certainly still present this morning)

Sorry if the news didn't reach you on Saturday, Mr Tai. I did try contacting people when I found the bird and I know some people made it that day. Unfortunately I wasn't home until the evening to post full details (which is why Richard kindly posted on my behalf) and I don't have phone numbers for many of the HK birders/photographers. I hope you have the chance to make it there over the next few days - the bird seems very settled so hopefully it will stay for a while.

The common wagtail in Yunnan is alboides, which is similar but with a black back. Personata breeds in Central Asia (including Xinjiang) and migrates south in winter (mostly to India I think)

Thread